• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Just in, if you want to attend to see what they have to say, maybe ask some questions...

"Dear Campus Community,

On Thursday, October 30, the College Democrats will host Lt. Governor Anthony Brown and former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton at a Brown/Ulman campaign event at Ritchie Coliseum on Route 1. While we are pleased to host this important event, there will be some impact on traffic and parking during rush hour on Thursday afternoon.
    The doors to Ritchie will open at 2:45 pm, the program is scheduled for 3:30 pm, and the event is expected to last approximately one hour. The 1,800 person audience will be a combination of University of Maryland students and Brown Campaign supporters. We expect ticket holders to begin lining up outside Ritchie early Thursday morning.

If you are traveling to the event, we encourage you to arrive early and leave plenty of time to travel. Please note that even if you have a ticket, this is not a guarantee of entry. The event is expected to exceed capacity and security screenings will be in effect. Bags will be allowed inside Ritchie, but they will be searched at entry.

Parking on campus near Ritchie is very limited, so we encourage attendees to carpool or take metro if possible. We suggest ticket holders use public transportation. Ritchie Coliseum is about 1/2 mile from College Park Metro. In addition, Metrobus routes run on Route One and stop near the venue. University parking lots will not be available for visitors. We encourage visitors to park in the parking garage in the City of College Park on Knox Road. We also recommend using alternate routes like Paint Branch Parkway when leaving campus.

Linda M. Clement
    Vice President for Student Affairs"

GB

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I am questioning the legality of this. I know that it is hosted by the Campus democrats, but it is on Campus (state) property but it is not like inviting the man to give a speech, it is a campaign stop.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I am questioning the legality of this. I know that it is hosted by the Campus democrats, but it is on Campus (state) property but it is not like inviting the man to give a speech, it is a campaign stop.

The worst part is that the announcement is an official email from the VP for Student Affairs.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Are the College Democrats paying UMD to rent Ritchie Coliseum, pay for extra traffic control and security, etc. for this? The Vice President of Student Affairs' email looks as much like a plug for it as anything. Anybody know the rules and regs?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Also, the email subject was "Anthony Brown for Governor Event On-campus Thursday October 30th," definitely a campaign stop.

I'm guessing that Brown's campaign is renting out Ritchie, and the university pays for the rest.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The V.P.'s announcement said it's the College Democrats that are hosting. She calls it an "important event." I'd guess that the Demons will get away with anything they can, which is a lot. Is it even legal to use campus public property this way?

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    I wasn't impressed... but I work there... so I need to not print a target on my back...

NOT THAT ANY OF THEM HAVE ANY GUNS.... Bahahahahaha -wink-

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    The V.P.'s announcement said it's the College Democrats that are hosting. She calls it an "important event." I'd guess that the Demons will get away with anything they can, which is a lot. Is it even legal to use campus public property this way?

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of campaign laws, but I'm not sure how/why this would be illegal. Colleges invite speakers to their campuses all the time. He's a government employee appearing at a public event. Not sure what is illegal about it.

Ghostrider1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2009
    The PGC
    Note they picked one of the smaller venues on campus. 1800 is only about 10% of Comcast Center's capacity. Seems they may not want pictures of empty seats close to E-Day.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I don't claim to know the ins and outs of campaign laws, but I'm not sure how/why this would be illegal. Colleges invite speakers to their campuses all the time. He's a government employee appearing at a public event. Not sure what is illegal about it.

It's a partisan campaign event, with contribution/use of public facilities potentially being donated (?) by the government at taxpayer expense to one of the candidates. All gifts, contributions, etc. need to be handled properly and reported. How could the state's contribution of the use of its facilities to a political candidate be seen as merely a government employee appearing at a public event? Is he dedicating a new facility? Performing an official function? No, he's asking for votes. Seems as though there should be a difference. Republicans get skewered for less.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    Student clubs are funded by student fees. The club is covering the cost of the facility I am sure. UM and CP are covering the security costs as they would any event on campus. The announcement is disguised as a "traffic alert" but I agree it is in reality promoting a political event.

You all might be interested to know there is a student Rifle and Pistol Club at UMCP that is very active. It too is supported by student fees. Note Ken's post up topic.

Not all students, staff and faculty are liberals. By we are in the minority for sure.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Note they picked one of the smaller venues on campus. 1800 is only about 10% of Comcast Center's capacity. Seems they may not want pictures of empty seats close to E-Day.

I was thinking the same thing. If he can't fill Ritchie, he's got problems.
    The traffic will be gridlocked out front so it will look like a madhouse. The locals will know that the traffic is only due to today being Thursday.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

As Walten Feep pointed out, it was masked as a "traffic alert".
    I personally would have been fine if the email sent out said.
    "There will be a private event at Ritchie Colosium at XXX, please plan to avoid RT.1 before that time".
    But no, the email said, and I am paraphrasing and inferring. "Hey Everybody Brown is coming to town, did you get your ticket? It is going to be a mad house so get there early.".
    So the problem is that the Campus (The VP's office), NOT the Campus Democrats is promoting the event. If it was an email from the Campus Democrats emailing the student/faculty body, that would be slightly different.

At the Federal level there is the Hatch Act.
    At the Maryland state level there are also laws.
    Political%20Activity%20Memo.pdf

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Bust

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 406

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I think we may be overstating the ability of campus administration to muster the student body to attend anything for which they don't either earn credit or get free food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom