• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Thread revival time....

Rumor has it that Remington will be getting into the .17 WSM game. Add to it that Hornady is getting into the ammo game for the WSM

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Thread revival time....

Rumor has it that Remington will be getting into the .17 WSM game. Add to it that Hornady is getting into the ammo game for the WSM

Nice! Ive been wanting one for awhile now but have held off because of ammo availability.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Haven't seen any of the Hornady on shelves yet and there are no reports on accuracy compared to the Winchester. I snagged three boxes of the Win 20gr @ BPS a couple weeks back. Other than that, I have only seen a few boxes here and there in a little out of the way place in WV when I visited.

Also, not heard any reviews of the stainless heavy barrel vs the blued fluted heavy barrel.

NY Marksman

Feb 20, 2013
    I've seen them at some shops around here, savage makes the rifle (sold for about $300) and the ammo (hornady) is expensive ($30 for 50). that said, this is one of the those calibers that I don't see a point to.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    I haven't read any good reviews on the Savage B Mag .17 WSM. While there are some other rifles available in this caliber now, I don't think any retail under $1000. It makes me wonder how long this round will be available.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    It seems this has been the perfect storm on both sides of the coin. The first incarnation was pure excrement. There were a few shooters out of the box but there were more problems than solutions. Also, people fail to point out that Savage rates the thin profile barrel at 1.5 MOA (the newer heavy barrels are 1 MOA)

The second problem is the ammo. There have been complaints about split cases and wild variances in speed. That is not the fault of the rifle.

So what changes have been made? Savage redesigned the stock. It's stiffer and free floated now, but still flexes a little. They also came out with two heavy barrel options. A stainless bull and a blued fluted heavy. I sent my original, 1st Gen BMag back and 6 months later got the stainless bull barrel (wasn't happy it took so long). They even changed the twist rate. Now if Winchester has addressed the ammo issue, there may be cause for celebration.

I know the folks over at Rimfire Central have been having good luck with the newer models. Some are even able to do some mild accurizing just by gluing a piece of an old innertube to the stock to stabilize the barrel or they are buying a stock from Boyd's. I will take mine in steps. First I am going to retorque the stock and hopefully get to the range in the next week or two - if work lets me have a day off

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    It seems this has been the perfect storm on both sides of the coin. The first incarnation was pure excrement. There were a few shooters out of the box but there were more problems than solutions. Also, people fail to point out that Savage rates the thin profile barrel at 1.5 MOA (the newer heavy barrels are 1 MOA)

The second problem is the ammo. There have been complaints about split cases and wild variances in speed. That is not the fault of the rifle.

So what changes have been made? Savage redesigned the stock. It's stiffer and free floated now, but still flexes a little. They also came out with two heavy barrel options. A stainless bull and a blued fluted heavy. I sent my original, 1st Gen BMag back and 6 months later got the stainless bull barrel (wasn't happy it took so long). They even changed the twist rate. Now if Winchester has addressed the ammo issue, there may be cause for celebration.

I know the folks over at Rimfire Central have been having good luck with the newer models. Some are even able to do some mild accurizing just by gluing a piece of an old innertube to the stock to stabilize the barrel or they are buying a stock from Boyd's. I will take mine in steps. First I am going to retorque the stock and hopefully get to the range in the next week or two - if work lets me have a day off

If you do, please share the outcome. I might be interested in the stainless bull barrel version myself.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Just took tore it down, gave it a good cleaning (they left it dirty after testing) and re-torqued the stock. The barrel still cants to the left no matter what procedure I use in the process. Might have to go the innertube route early. Will be at LEAST 9 days before I can get to the range.

Don't feel like building a new stand for Elk Neck and Hap Baker is always so damn busy...oh well....tis the season

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    FINALLY got to Hap Baker, and for the first time for me - it wasn't that busy.

Got to send a few magazines full down range to get the scope sighted in and see how the stainless heavy barrel performed. I will say it didn't do too bad at all for its maiden voyage.

10418996_10205387141146823_7625897471941149815_n.jpg

100 yards

10354594_10205387141186824_5963268476944127712_n.jpg

200 yards

I still need to come a few clicks to the left, but I want to see where she shoots on a cold barrel first as these were the 7th or 8th magazine and the 200 yard shots were a tad blurry from the heat coming off the barrel in the scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom