• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Alright, so I've been bitten by the AR bug. I'm now doing am upper build. I was perusing the interwebz and stumbled across this:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/762x40WT.htm#Overview

I'm intrigued. More case capacity than the .300 blk, .30 bullet, ballistically equivalent to the 6.8spc at point blank range (?).

Seems like a good package if you're not interested in going suppressed.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and analysis.

Maybe I'll have to build one of each.

Last edited:

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    OK but why is it more of a weirdo caliber then the .300 blk?

has it been adopted by ammo manufacturers as a caliber they produce?
    Have other companies started making uppers or barrels for it?

I've heard almost nothing about the Wilson Combat caliber, so i don't know

But like clandestine said, 300 has the popularity right now. Unless there's something DRASTICALLY special or better about the WC round over the 300 blackout, 300 will win

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Alright, so I've been bitten by the AR bug. I'm now doing am upper build. I was perusing the interwebz and stumbled across this:

Seems like a good package if you're not interested in going suppressed.
    Maybe I'll have to build one of each.

The barrel is cheap enough that it's almost tempting to do just that, and as you note, for a non-suppressed (or even suppressed supersonic) build this seems to offer some good overall performance. Unfortunately the twist rate seems to be more of an issue with heavier sub-sonic bullets requiring a 1:8 twist and lighter bullets liking a 1:12.

Wilson states that the mags need to be modified to work, which is a little annoying, but livable. The .300 Blkout does not need any magazine modification that I know of. The extra case capacity of the .300 WT offers some interesting possibilities.

Mark

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Don't leave the Wilson Combat page. The 6.8mm is a hunting caliber. It requires no magwell modification or anything else. Plug and play on the same lower 5.56 or 6.8. (Even WC stated that if you couldn't decide between 6.8 and 7.62x40WT, get the 6.8) If you buy a complete Wilson Combat rifle, that lower is outfitted with their superb trigger unit, and of course made with legendary Wilson Combat precision and quality, lifetime guaranteed not only for original buyer.
    No, I don't have stock. Yes, I got WC.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Popularity is all I mean. I consider all of the alternative AR calibers worthless. If I have an AR its .308, 5.56, or .22LR.

I dont expect anyone to agree with me.

Yup, the .300BLK is getting as much attention as the 6.8 did a couple years back. It's probably just another fad as there are plenty of guns already available in .30

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Popularity is all I mean. I consider all of the alternative AR calibers worthless. If I have an AR its .308, 5.56, or .22LR.

I dont expect anyone to agree with me.

Subsonic .300 BLK on a suppressor host has some clear advantages over subsonic 5.56, but other than that? Yeah, I'm not convinced yet. Because it's relatively similar to 5.56 (same mags at same capacity, same basic cartridge dimensions, can be formed from 5.56 brass, etc.) I'd say overall that this one has the most potential, but I still have no idea how well it'll do.

(I largely agree with you on other rounds though.)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    IMHO the 300 BLK will not only stay around, but will settle in with something like 40% of all new AR sales will be in 300 blk.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    IMHO the 300 BLK will not only stay around, but will settle in with something like 40% of all new AR sales will be in 300 blk.

I agree completely. If I ever do an alternate AR caliber the .300BLK will be it.

The ammo will always be easy to manufacture and the weapon and mags require no proprietary parts or mods. Just a special barrel and DONE.

Cant get much better than that.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I don't think the 300 AAC is going away any time soon. The 6.8 never caught on because it is based upon the 30 Remington cartridge case; while not a rare offering it certainly doesn't enjoy the popularity or plethora of already existent tooling used to crank out the 5.56/.223. It's very easy for a manufacturer of 5.56 to retool for the 300AAC. Not to mention there are already millions of magazines in existence supporting the cartridge. Ever look at the 6.8SPC ammo offerings on the shelf at a sporting goods store? It's like shopping for performance parts for a Volvo on line.

Now that they've stuffed a .30 cal bullet into a 5.56 casing, I'm waiting for someone to stick a 5.56 bullet in a .308 casing. It's kind of like a wife swap.. :roll eyes:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not a chance in the world. I remember back when 6.8mm was the new hotness... everyone thought the whole universe was going to use it. Fast-forward two years later, it's a reloader's cartridge... and that was with broad industry support, too. (6.8mm Remington SPC, anyone?)

What's .300BLK really good for? AR-15 SBRs. Those are not floating about in the civilian world in great numbers, and the military is not going to be buying boatloads of .300BLK any time soon. The limited market alone is going to keep sales of .300BLK way, way, way below .223.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I agree completely. If I ever do an alternate AR caliber the .300BLK will be it.

The ammo will always be easy to manufacture and the weapon and mags require no proprietary parts or mods. Just a special barrel and DONE.

See, that's it though. the .300WT uses the same brass as 5.56 and seems easier to manufacture than .300 blk. The .300WT has more case capacity then the .300 blk. It uses the same mags but need a little modifications. It is ballistically similar to the 6.8. Perhaps my lack of familiarity of the 6.8 is clouding my understanding but what's not to like? Seems like it is everything the .300 blk is and some more.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

Plenty of fire formable brass as well. The buttload of 30cal options out there with the increse in firepower make this a no brainer.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    What's .300BLK really good for?

Essentially, it's a 30 caliber rifle in a lightweight platform. It can be a tack-driving 123gr supersonic shooter or a 220gr subsonic that, with quality suppressor, sounds like a mouse fart but still has the same energy at 300 yards as a .45ACP at point blank range. It uses the same bolts and mags as a .223, the ammo is readily available at most gun shops, and it's parent case (a 223) and its bullets (308) can be found everywhere.

I tend to agree with Russ; a few years from now, it will be a big chunk of the AR market.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    The .300 BLK will kill that round before the weirdo caliber fanboys go all gay for it.

Agreed. The .300BLK is a commercialized .300 whisper (which has had it's followers for quite a while). The .300 Black makes it an industry supported mainstream round.

The 7.62x40 was a wildcat that the tinkerers have been playing around with for a couple of years (big thread on it's developement on ARFcom). It's even more of a nitch round than the .300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom