Dry firing a .22 semi auto pistols with snap caps?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    No it isn't. You think it strikes perfectly each and every time with no deviation? The firing pin hits primer brass perfectly each and every time? The primer would have to concave the exact measurement each strike. It doesn't.
    Does anyone really know why snap caps work?? Wow

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

I never claimed it hit perfectly every time did I? Matters not, the brass is going to STOP the pin from over traveling. On some pistols it matters even less because they have stop pins built into them such as Rugers Model ll & lll which I bet amounts to near the lions share of semi auto .22's on the street.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    For 1911 conversions I cut a small piece of weed wacker and insert it between the slide opening over the the firing pin in a "U" shape. See my gallery for picture.

Last edited:

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I never claimed it hit perfectly every time did I? Matters not, the brass is going to STOP the pin from over traveling. On some pistols it matters even less because they have stop pins built into them such as Rugers Model ll & lll which I bet amounts to near the lions share of semi auto .22's on the street.

Thanks brother :thumbup:
    Happy New Year

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    only one I dont dry fire is my Cz-52 if I got the better firing pin I could dry fire it...I know its not a rimfire but all others rugers I have have not had any problems dryfiring...

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Not the same. Snap cap "primers" are spring loaded to provide some resistance to the firing pin. spent primers are already indented, providing no resistance making the firing pin extend to max "reach" each time.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

I think the bigger problem here is the firing pin striking the barrel itself without anything there softer for it to strike. After 3-4 strikes a spent piece of brass wouldnt be as useful for this because it will compress the brass to the point where theres no give anymore.

But hey, maybe im compleatly wrong...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I think the bigger problem here is the firing pin striking the barrel itself without anything there softer for it to strike. After 3-4 strikes a spent piece of brass wouldnt be as useful for this because it will compress the brass to the point where theres no give anymore.

But hey, maybe im compleatly wrong...

You got it right about hitting the face of the chamber. I'll take photo tomorrow, that is if I remember. :)

Edit: post no.3

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435589

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom