• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Today I shot my very first IDPA course. I showed up shooting it not for the competition but for the experience of training. Not many ranges (none that I cna think of) allow you to draw from a holster and shoot. Additionally no range I know of allows you to shoot different angles, multiple targets, rapid fire, etc.

I highly recommend IDPA or a similar venue for those that want additional training. There is a competition side of it, but there are a lot of good things that one can gain from it especially if you do not have the opportunity to run "shoot house" type courses.

I ran solely my carry gun and I learned a lot about what works vs what doesnt. You dont get to work through those things at a range punching paper.

I also for the first time had my first FTF which was actually a good thing since you were under "stress" and having to do the tap wrack bang drill live while under "stress".

Great time and I highly recommend this.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    +1

IDPA is great fun and great practice. Sounds like you were at Thurmont today. Anne Arundel Fish & Game also has IDPA, if that helps anyone who might be closer to Annapolis.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    IDPA is awesome. Makes normal trips to the range somewhat plan. I was there with you today. Glad you enjoyed it. Great day for shooting.. Shot at AA F&G yesterday. Making up for missing the winter months.
    Minuteman needs to get back in the game.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Have been shooting IDPA and Steel Challenges for about a year and a half and couldn't agree more on the practice and training side. It really helps you figure out what works and what doesn't. Besides an afternoon of organized, safe, shooting with other like minded folks outside is refreshing. The folks at AAFG and Delta/Peach Bottom regularly put on good shoots.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you don't become a gamer and actually use your carry gear and clothing you normally wear, it's great practice for when you carry. Sorry, I don't own a photographer's vest, so you'll not see me wearing one during an IDPA match. During the winter, I will wear an OWB holster on occasion, so I'll shoot a match that way but with a trench coat so simulate winter wear. I'm going to start shooting my PF9 this summer, assuming I get around to renewing my IDPA membership.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    If you don't become a gamer and actually use your carry gear and clothing you normally wear, it's great practice for when you carry. Sorry, I don't own a photographer's vest, so you'll not see me wearing one during an IDPA match. During the winter, I will wear an OWB holster on occasion, so I'll shoot a match that way but with a trench coat so simulate winter wear. I'm going to start shooting my PF9 this summer, assuming I get around to renewing my IDPA membership.

Hehe, I laughed when I saw this and mentioned to a freidn all we need now is some fly rods.

I carry a pf9 a lot so I came wearing a poloshirt my IWB and my pf9. I like you wanted to shoot like I carry.

Dont get me wrong, I see where IDPA can be a LOT of fun for the competition side. I think even participating in the competition side is good training as well. Most of the guys there (actually all) had OWB holsters which indeed is the competitive side of things however if you are not in a professional field where you can throw on an open button down shirt, then an OWB would be fine.

From my first time out I see a lot better practice than shooting holes in a piece of paper, even if you are doing the gamer side of it.

Highly highly encourage this instead of range shooting.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Dont get me wrong, I see where IDPA can be a LOT of fun for the competition side. I think even participating in the competition side is good training as well.

If I want to be competitive, I'll shoot USPSA, 3-Gun, and Cowboy Action :D I'm not shooting Open Division in any of these :lol: Cowboy Action is more of a fun shoot with old guns. In 3-Gun, I'm shooting in the Tac-Optics Division, and I can use the same pistol in USPSA in the Limited Division. All three of these have shooting multiple targets on the clock in common.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    If I want to be competitive, I'll shoot USPSA, 3-Gun, and Cowboy Action :D I'm not shooting Open Division in any of these :lol: Cowboy Action is more of a fun shoot with old guns. In 3-Gun, I'm shooting in the Tac-Optics Division, and I can use the same pistol in USPSA in the Limited Division. All three of these have shooting multiple targets on the clock in common.

The guys in the vests always get picked on by people who aren't on the range with them. But that's okay, IDPA wants you anyway. :-) IDPA is a pretty big tent, with room for those who wish to be purely competitive as well as those who wish to use it to improve their self defense skills. In fact, according to the 2014 membership survey, although only 31% of respondents say they're there only for competition, approx. 90% of respondents say they have a concealed carry permit. http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/IIR_IDPA.pdf I don't think it serves anyone's interest to denigrate the motives of any participant in any of these events.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The guys in the vests always get picked on by people who aren't on the range with them. But that's okay, IDPA wants you anyway. :-) IDPA is a pretty big tent, with room for those who wish to be purely competitive as well as those who wish to use it to improve their self defense skills. In fact, according to the 2014 membership survey, although only 31% of respondents say they're there only for competition, approx. 90% of respondents say they have a concealed carry permit. http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/IIR_IDPA.pdf I don't think it serves anyone's interest to denigrate the motives of any participant in any of these events.

I wouldn't have a problem with the vest folks if they would not denigrate me on my choice of apparel. While it may not be noticed by you in your area, I have been pinged by folks in the three IDPA venues I've shot at about not wearing a vest or not going high speed/low drag during the match. I've used long coats to appease the rules, and produced speed loaders from pockets. Maybe I'm just shooting with gamers here, I don't know.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    There are competitive ppl in both match.. Idpa and uspsa.

But atleast uspsa.. They present you the stage.. You have to decide how you want to shoot the stage.

Idpa.. Start at x.. Go to y and shoot two shots then move to z.. Oh and make sure you can only change mags when its empty. Lol

(I like them both.. Just another practice time for me)

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I wouldn't have a problem with the vest folks if they would not denigrate me on my choice of apparel. While it may not be noticed by you in your area, I have been pinged by folks in the three IDPA venues I've shot at about not wearing a vest or not going high speed/low drag during the match. I've used long coats to appease the rules, and produced speed loaders from pockets. Maybe I'm just shooting with gamers here, I don't know.
    I honestly haven't noticed that at TCSC. Maybe you should come shoot with us! There's a LEO that shoots with us who wears an iwb under a tshirt & except for in-ear hearing protection, he just looks like he's standing around. But when the timer sounds he's ridiculously fast. And he only uses his civilian edc gear.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I honestly haven't noticed that at TCSC. Maybe you should come shoot with us! There's a LEO that shoots with us who wears an iwb under a tshirt & except for in-ear hearing protection, he just looks like he's standing around. But when the timer sounds he's ridiculously fast. And he only uses his civilian edc gear.

I could do that, but then I'd have to go into Maryland :D I'd like to hit one or two of the SASS matches up there this year. We'll see.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

TTMD, where do you do IDPA? Saw that I just missed you this Sunday at the IWLA range.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    TTMD, where do you do IDPA? Saw that I just missed you this Sunday at the IWLA range.
    At the Thurmont Conservation & Sportsman's Club off of Old Frederick Rd. About 3-4 miles east of Rt 15 just north of frederick. Check it out at http://www.tcandsc.org/tcscIDPAMatches.htm. I'm not a member there, but that's not required for match participation. But PM or email me directly if you have any questions or think you might want to watch first or just jump on in. We had at least three new participants on Sunday, & as far as I could tell they all enjoyed it, including the guy who didn't even have a holster or fishing vest yet!

Yes, actually I stopped by for just a few minutes after Sundays IDPA match to put a few quick rounds through a Glock 19 I picked up a couple of weeks from Lou45 at Shooters Discount. I was able to get a few mags at a good price, & a decent low cost iwb holster for it at the Chantilly show on Saturday.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'm looking forward to getting out again sometime. A member here and family friend had me go to Thurmont last summer and I enjoyed every moment.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I usually shoot IDPA at AAFG. They are a great club with consistently fun and well run matches. I shoot Thurmont once and a while (like yesterday). Thurmont is making a good attempt to step up their game recently. They are really making an effort now to offer interesting stages. Highly recommend trying both locations if you are in MD and looking to shoot IDPA.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I usually shoot IDPA at AAFG. They are a great club with consistently fun and well run matches. I shoot Thurmont once and a while (like yesterday). Thurmont is making a good attempt to step up their game recently. They are really making an effort now to offer interesting stages. Highly recommend trying both locations if you are in MD and looking to shoot IDPA.

I wet through the AAFG IDPA safety orientation last fall, but haven't ben able to match my schedule with the AAFG matches. Maybe one of these days.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I do idpa with all my carry and HD guns and heartily recommend others do so as well. It's certainly not force on force stress, but it does provide a little stress and a great opportunity to see how you and your gun works under that stress. And now that they have some divisions for the smaller guns, you can compete against other carry guns and not the glock 34's, or egads, the 2011's of the world.

and regarding specialized apparel, I did some sort of idpa 3 gun event last year and was somewhat ridiculed for wearing my normal 3 gun setup, by some db who wore a custom, and neatly pressed idpa "shoot me first" vest adorned with logos etc. happy to have trounced him in the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom