• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    what do you recommend as a bench rest or way to steady a pistol to check sights for zero at 10 or 25 yds.
    Thanks
    Dan

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Hey Dan, I believe I have one of these some where that I've used once in around 25 years.

If you want it, it's yours.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Hoppes-Pistol-Rest/4819825/product.html

th

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A rest will get you close. Final adjustment of sights should be done in shooting form since the tensions and weight effects of the arms change.

I have that same rest, for over 25 years. I use a small bag on the perch.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A rest will get you close. Final adjustment of sights should be done in shooting form since the tensions and weight effects of the arms change.

This, I use my cheap Caldwell rest, or the club's ransom rest to check sights, or make sure hits off center aren't my fault. Final adjustment, or determining what sight height to order is with the ammo I intend to use, shot standing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ransom Rest is accepted standard for testing Group Size. POI is influenced by the dynamics of the gun in a human hand, so sight adjustments are best done when hand held.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    While I would like to have a Ransom Rest, it also takes some knowledge of using it and a very stable platform to shoot it from. For those of us without, or access to, a Ransom Rest, need to use other rests and methods. Calling shots from the bench and comparative group size will still lead to indications of good loads. Then there is the Massod Ayoob method of taking the best 3 of 5 from the bench reflecting probable Ransom rest size.

I don't establish a load as good until I have also shot it several times, called shots are there and groups are consistent.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Well put and it's the same reason I don't like Lead Sleds. They are good to a point but shooting a rifle from your shoulder is always going to hit differently.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Magnumite
    "A rest will get you close. Final adjustment of sights should be done in shooting form since the tensions and weight effects of the arms change.
    I have that same rest, for over 25 years. I use a small bag on the perch."

Agreed.
    I learned to zero a rifle in the army with my forearm against a sandbag
    I sit and rest my forearms on my shooting bag at 25 yds, final adjustments at my usual shooting range 7 yds, standing, off hand.
    I have an old Midway pistol rest somewhere around here, but haven't seen it or used it in 10 years.
    DocAitch

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    thanks to all.
    I am sure my issues are poor inconsistent/incorrect grip at times, flinching etc. I have a RDS milled on the slide and want to get that correct so I can then correct my issues.
    I will try just using a bag and resting my forearms as suggested
    Dan

plan B. Find a skilled pistol shooter to shoot and adjust the sights if needed

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    thanks to all.
    I am sure my issues are poor inconsistent/incorrect grip at times, flinching etc. I have a RDS milled on the slide and want to get that correct so I can then correct my issues.
    I will try just using a bag and resting my forearms as suggested
    Dan

plan B. Find a skilled pistol shooter to shoot and adjust the sights if needed

Regardless you need to set the sights for the way you shoot the gun after getting some competent instruction on how to grip it correctly. No two people, even pros, shoot their guns with the same pressure on the grip. I have been at the range with a few and swapping the same gun around none of us hit exactly the same POI although we were close. Even using red dots.

In Plan B what you want the good shooter to do is see how well you are gripping and putting correct pressure on the gun. The gun is inherently accurate but the shooters are not. You want to try and get him to help you make both of your POIs hitting to the same point as close as possible. Nobody is perfect. For me when my sights are set correctly to hit the center of the target (iron sights) my rear sight is slightly off to the right a hair. I am Ok with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom