• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Is it possible to start reloading reliably for less than 400 bucks? Im thinking about getting started and would mainly be interested in 9mm right now. A turret press appeals to me but Im just not 100% sure what other stuff is absolutely needed to get started. Im sure some douche is going to say just do a search blah blah blah but Im interested in whats available right now and the stuff that's the best value. If I grabbed something like the Lee Classic Turret press kit what else would I need besides brass,primers,bullets and powder. Im not counting those things in my purchase price.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    You can most definately get started for under $400. As far as what you need is going to depend on what you want to do on the press/off the press ect. ect. I run the Lee classic cast turret press and it does everything I need it to do. I would recommend that if you get the kit to upgrade to an RCBS Beam scale, the little Lee didn't do it for me.
    You're going to need a tumbler of some sort, I've got an RCBS vibratory and a Thumbler Tumbler Model B rotary.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    RCBS Partner press, vibratory tumbler, Uni-flow powder measure, powder scale, and dies.

And a reloading book and calipers to measure cases and COAL.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yes it would, the question is are you willing to sacrifice some things?

9mm being a high volume shooting caliber at the range, means that you would best be served by getting a progressive. There is nothing wrong with a Lee Progressive. I don't know how much they cost off hand. You will also need a scale, and those can get pricey. I wouldn't trust a digital scale to save my life when it comes to reloading. You will need a bullet puller, calipers, tumbler w/media (Harbor Freight for their vibratory tumbler),and some other things.

I can be done for under 400, but you are going to have to cut your costs on some of the accessories.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Reloading equipment tends to multiply on you. You may get started for under $400 but then after doing it for a while, you say to yourself "it would be nice if I had..."

And then your $400 setup goes above $1000

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Reloading equipment tends to multiply on you. You may get started for under $400 but then after doing it for a while, you say to yourself "it would be nice if I had..."

And then your $400 setup goes above $1000

My hobbies are guns and cars. I completely understand. I spin wrenches for a living. I have a tool box full of Snap On tools. Things growing exponentially is nothing new lol.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Lee classic cast turret press would be my recommendation. I would not get the deluxe turret press, not that there is anything wrong with it but the cast turret is superior. It can do longer calibers if you move into rifle reloading and the kit comes with the better powder measure.

You would need a set of dies which if going with the lee press you might as well get the carbide lee 4 dies pistol set for 9mm. The reason is you will have 4 positions so if you skip the factory crimp you will most likely (depending on your technique) cycle the press through that station even if empty. The lock ring from other dies can be too large for the lee turret press as well.

I prefer priming on the press and the lee turret kit have the materials need for that in the kit. If you wan to prime off the press that would be separate.

The double disk kit would only be needed for rifle loading. The powder measure riser is need and IIRC is extra (silly if you ask me).

You can get a case length gauge and trimmer set up from Lee if you like but at least initially you could get by without it especially for most handgun reloading. Same could be said for a tumbler unless you are going right into loading range pick ups. When purchasing even range brass most sellers will tumble it before selling.

I would suggest you pull the auto index rod on the turret press and use it as a single stage press until you have loaded several hundred rounds and are very comfortable with reloading.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Forgot to mention the Lee turret press is capable of around 200 rounds a hour on a good day with it set up right and everything working properly. 100 rounds per hour even on days that don't go as well. Extra shell pates are around $10-$15 and no caliber conversions are needed. I think mine cost $90 new shipped on sale about a year ago, for the money no other press comes close in my opinion.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA

I know I can get 9mm relatively cheap but once I move into more calibers and especially rifle stuff I know I will want to reload my own stuff. Im not necessarily trying to save money on ammo. That will probably happen eventually but just equipment purchase kills savings for a long while. Its more to give me something to do at home and I like to make my own stuff. Also it wasn't long ago we couldn't even get 9mm at walmart or online. Not dealing with that again.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I know I can get 9mm relatively cheap but once I move into more calibers and especially rifle stuff I know I will want to reload my own stuff. Im not necessarily trying to save money on ammo. That will probably happen eventually but just equipment purchase kills savings for a long while. Its more to give me something to do at home and I like to make my own stuff. Also it wasn't long ago we couldn't even get 9mm at walmart or online. Not dealing with that again.

I see your point, yes you can start reloading with $400 buy a kit.
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
    http://www.grafs.com/
    https://www.precisionreloading.com/index.php

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A Lee Pro1000 would get you going on 9mm, about $180 for the 9mm set-up (press, shellplate, dies). Which leaves plenty for calipers, scale, and consumables. The pro1000 can be a bit finicky to get dialed in, but once it's there, just let her eat.

You also have the Lee Loadmaster in 9mm for about $250.

People like to bag on Lee stuff, but for the money they're hard to beat. There's some trade-offs, but when isn't there?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    You gotta crawl before you can walk... Look at the Lee Challenger set to start about 140 bucks.
    .Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press And Bushings 50th Anniversary Kit
    A set of Lee Carbide dies maybe 35 bucks. A thousand primers 35 bucks. A lb of powder 30 bucks and a thousand cast lead bullets 75 bucks and you are loading... Under 325 bucks..
    And if it works for you over time upgrade to better, nicer and faster.
    And that's from a Dillon guy...

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The classic cast press kit is a great start.

You'll need dies in the calibers you need. dont forget a rifle charging die to use the auto disk powder measure with rifle dies.

I like the je wilson case gauges. they ensure a perfect size and chambering in any saami spec chamber, and measure oal too. dillon and hornady make them too.

You should get a better scale than the one that comes in the lee kit.

If you are loading bottleneck cartridges, you need a way to trim them.

Harbor freight has nice digital calipers.

loading blocks keep everything tidy and in order and let tou keep track of where you are in the process, and backtrack any mistakes.

Loading manuals. richard lee's and the lyman are good ones to buy. then look at your bullet manufacturer's and powder maker's load data and compare.

case lube.

something to swage or ream primer crimps on military brass. like surplus 9mm

Fuddlebucks in forest hill is about 15 minutes from delta pa and they sell most of this stuff. I teach their beginner reloading class, you should come to the next one. they are industry partners here, and have free shipping on their stuff.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/78...-turret-press-deluxe-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding = $209

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/885350/lee-deluxe-carbide-4-die-set-9mm-luger?cm_vc=ProductFinding = $41.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...media-separator-110-volt?cm_vc=ProductFinding = $64.99 on sale now

$315.98 plus shipping. A dial caliper runs $35 or so. That will get you started. Brass, bullets, primers, and powder is extra. If you want to run another caliber, buy another plate and go to town.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I have good calipers. Engine tolerances are as tight and critical as anything else. I don't play around with tools.

jimbobborg That's pretty much the stuff I was looking at and seriously considering. I cant take the leap right now but waiting on tax refund. I get to buy stuff for me once a year so I try to make it count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom