Well since I can't buy an AR15 anymore...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Oh crap, figured you had it already! ... Yes an early FA shoot is needed! ;)

Yeah it took forever. About what other Individual form 4s are taking. I think it might be time for a Trust next time.

Does he have hosts for all of them? If not, let me know what to bring. :)

Yup... Saker on the FNC (still need to install the FH), Sig for the Tyrant, New 10-22 for the Spectre, Uzi for the Mossad.

I am open to the idea, sell me on it! There are a lot of uppers out there. What does this get me that I can't get anywhere else? What does it have over the Colt or LMT Monolithic uppers if I am running two optics?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Congratulations! I guess it's time that we schedule an early FA shoot. :D

Yes it is. Got the new extractor spring setup on my bolt so I am good to go. Still have to dial in my adjustable gas block but that should not take much.

Thanks man. I have a XM16E1 upper for it too. So real long and real short. However if one goes down, I have the other. Not that others at the range will not have a spare. I can see I have a whole new world of stuff to dive into...
    there is so much in the AR15/M16 world...

Yeah I have a 5.56 (of course), 9mm, .22LR, and 7.62x39 upper for my Sendra and I am putting a 5.45x39 upper together for it also.

Lots of fun!!! :party29:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah it took forever. About what other Individual form 4s are taking. I think it might be time for a Trust next time.

Yup... Saker on the FNC (still need to install the FH), Sig for the Tyrant, New 10-22 for the Spectre, Uzi for the Mossad.

I am open to the idea, sell me on it! There are a lot of uppers out there. What does this get me that I can't get anywhere else? What does it have over the Colt or LMT Monolithic uppers if I am running two optics?

There's no way I would put a LaRue upper on a M.G. That setup will burn the throat out in no time and accuracy will go to shat.

LaRue Uppers and Rifles give you bolt gun accuracy in an autoloader.

Now if you want a precision upper and get a geiselle SSF trigger, well that would be a nice addition for semi auto use only!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would also avoid using KNS pins in that lower. KNS pins do break and the design of the KNS pins will keep a broken one in the receiver as it fires, all while eating the hammer or trigger pin holes in your lower up. If that happens you'll be paying someone like m60joe big money to drill and sleeve the lower which also decreases is value of your investment.

Be VERY careful you run the right 9mm and .22 uppers on that. Even 5.7 uppers. Blowback setups can really mess up a lower if they are not setup right. Its not the rotation of the pins, its the speed of the bolt and the cocking geometry that can egg out a lower. KNS pins won't stop that.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Agreed on not using the LaRue. You are just going to burn the barrel up at shooting mostly 50 yards at deteregent jugs and dry wall Commie soldiers.

Knowing Matt, I have a feeling this what he will be running :D

Attachments

• 100_0283.jpg
      100_0283.jpg
      53.8 KB · Views: 201

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    There's no way I would put a LaRue upper on a M.G. ...

Yeah not looking for that kind of accuracy.

I would also avoid using KNS pins in that lower. KNS pins do break and the design of the KNS pins will keep a broken one in the receiver as it fires,...
    Be VERY careful you run the right 9mm and .22 uppers on that. Even 5.7 uppers. Blowback setups can really mess up a lower if they are not setup right. Its not the rotation of the pins, its the speed of the bolt and the cocking geometry that can egg out a lower. KNS pins won't stop that.

Good to know. I see a lot of FA lowers with them. I don't have any immediate plans on changing them out but I do have a set for the gun. Thanks for the advice I will look into it more. Yeah the whole 9mm conversion seems to be something I need to do a lot more reading on. I am pretty much sold on the Shrike... so I have lots of time to think over these other uppers as I save to pay for that. I know the Shrikes have issues but for the end result I am willing to take my chance on it. Actually I really like the idea of a monolithic railed upper like the Colt or LMT uppers. With the idea of getting NVGs in the future, it would be nice to have mounting options like that. I also need to decide to go DI or Piston. So damn many options but I do like the idea of Piston as I do hate cleaning an AR15 receiver. Its not like this is going to get high quality clean ammo. Wolf gets dirty quick.

Agreed on not using the LaRue. You are just going to burn the barrel up at shooting mostly 50 yards at deteregent jugs and dry wall Commie soldiers.

Knowing Matt, I have a feeling this what he will be running :D

Good to know.
    Actually that is exactly what I bought this gun to avoid. I like shooting all types of guns as you know. I don't want to always be stuck shooting a Watercooled gun. They are cool but I need something more flexible sometimes. This should fill that void between the SMG and Heavy MG. With HK sears going out of sight, I think this and the Max11 will be my two modern shooter guns. The rest will be more historical in nature. Maybe a Chauchat next? ;)

Congrats on finally getting it

Thanks!

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    There's no way I would put a LaRue upper on a M.G. That setup will burn the throat out in no time and accuracy will go to shat.

LaRue Uppers and Rifles give you bolt gun accuracy in an autoloader.

Now if you want a precision upper and get a geiselle SSF trigger, well that would be a nice addition for semi auto use only!

I have a Geiselle SSF trigger. It is SWEET! Very crisp.

My 9mm upper is an LRM-169 Integral suppressed upper.

Dave

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Consider Adams Arms piston uppers. I have a bunch of shorties that have been beat'n to sh!t with zero problems. I think they make a low profile gas block now that will fit under some handguards. Also look into Mega Arms monolithic handguards.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What do the local experts feel about a 7.5" YHM upper with a ramped bolt and YHM 9MM buffer? Don't know who makes the bolt. This would be for a Colt RR. I've been reluctant to run a 9MM after doing a bunch of reading. Also been reluctant to run a 10.5" ADCOR upper I bought. Would I be better off to get a DI upper of 11'5"-12'5"? Gun has a Geiselle SSF trigger.
    While we're at it, which Geiselle do you guys recommend for a SA lower?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What do the local experts feel about a 7.5" YHM upper with a ramped bolt and YHM 9MM buffer? Don't know who makes the bolt. This would be for a Colt RR. I've been reluctant to run a 9MM after doing a bunch of reading. Also been reluctant to run a 10.5" ADCOR upper I bought. Would I be better off to get a DI upper of 11'5"-12'5"? Gun has a Geiselle SSF trigger.
    While we're at it, which Geiselle do you guys recommend for a SA lower?

Yhm uses a CMMG bolt. It's good to go. As far as their uppers, they are pretty solid. The only negative is they don't use a short dust cover and deflector. This can cause casings and gas to come back in the shooter face more, mainly the casings. It's an easy fix, you just change the dust cover and add the deflector and spring.

Slowing down a 9mm blowback has been something even colt struggles with. If the bolt has too much travel it will break the bolt catche on the forward stroke, if it's moving too fast it can egg the FCG holes in the lower or cause the buffer bumper to over compress which can result in the "fake gas key" hit the lower receiver ring where the buffer screws in too hard on the rearward stroke. I have seen this break lowers if left unadressed. Going with a shorter barrel helps some, but the best remedy is a heavy buffer and recoil spring. The CS flat wire tubb springs really shine for this application as they don't compress to solid height like round wire springs do. Heavybuffers.com makes some of the heaviest buffers for the 9mm AR. If you buy one just make sure it barely clears the bolt catch when the bolt compresses it. You can use quarters to get the spacing right. Also make sure your buffer tube isn't too long to allow the fake gas key to contact the ring on the lower where the buffer tube screws in.

As fast as a trigger for a semi, I prefer the SSA-E for a multi use lower. It gives you a fast trigger that can be used for precision and it's extremely reliable.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah not looking for that kind of accuracy.

Good to know. I see a lot of FA lowers with them. I don't have any immediate plans on changing them out but I do have a set for the gun. Thanks for the advice I will look into it more. Yeah the whole 9mm conversion seems to be something I need to do a lot more reading on. I am pretty much sold on the Shrike... so I have lots of time to think over these other uppers as I save to pay for that. I know the Shrikes have issues but for the end result I am willing to take my chance on it. Actually I really like the idea of a monolithic railed upper like the Colt or LMT uppers. With the idea of getting NVGs in the future, it would be nice to have mounting options like that. I also need to decide to go DI or Piston. So damn many options but I do like the idea of Piston as I do hate cleaning an AR15 receiver. Its not like this is going to get high quality clean ammo. Wolf gets dirty quick.

Good to know.
    Actually that is exactly what I bought this gun to avoid. I like shooting all types of guns as you know. I don't want to always be stuck shooting a Watercooled gun. They are cool but I need something more flexible sometimes. This should fill that void between the SMG and Heavy MG. With HK sears going out of sight, I think this and the Max11 will be my two modern shooter guns. The rest will be more historical in nature. Maybe a Chauchat next? ;)

Thanks!

I don't recommend a piston conversion, they are not an improvement on the AR, just a marketing tool. If you shoot F.A. enough you will break parts, especially if you use a suppressor. If your chosen piston upper is discontinued or the mfg goes belly up you'll be stuck with a paper weight as some mfgs use gas ports in different spots on the barrel, the upper receivers have different arrangements for the piston to pass through, and the bolt carriers are different as well. There is no "standard" for piston AR15's and everyone has their own design.

If you are dead set on a piston setup look no further than SLR rifleworks. They have an outstanding adjustable setup. To address carrier tilt buy a receiver extension (buffer tube) that has a lower lip to help address any existing carrier tilt. It will work if you swap a D.I upper back on.

The Piston conversions don't really keep the bolt group much cooler than a D.I. setup. I can hold the bolt from an M16 after a few mag dumps just like many piston mfgs show. The Piston does not keep the receiver area much cleaner either. Most fouling in the AR isn't from the gas tube, its from the chamber. Piston AR'S are just a marketing tool to sell a product. They add complexity to a time proven and evolved system. A D.I. upper will be more cost effective and parts are available everywhere. The only way I would put a gas piston conversion on an AR is if it gave a distinct advantage or feature like being belt fed.

It's your call, I would just stick with a D.I. setup for your standard uppers, perhaps consider adjustable gas if you will be shooting various brands of ammo and shooting suppressed and unsuppressed. Proper component selection makes or breaks an M16/AR15. They don't need cleaning, just throw some lube in it when it slows down and chug along.

Good luck with your journey and thanks for sharing yours with us.

Hjaalmarch

Jan 7, 2014
    Wallet hurts reading your post...but that's a pretty killer 'get'. Where do you plan on shooting it?

I always wonder about people who are into the full-auto NFA guns - how do you afford the ammo that, presumably, you blow through?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I don't recommend a piston conversion, ....There is no "standard" for piston AR15's and everyone has their own design....The Piston conversions don't really keep the bolt group much cooler than a D.I. setup....The Piston does not keep the receiver area much cleaner either. Most fouling in the AR isn't from the gas tube, its from the chamber. ...

Thanks for the info! Good to know on the piston. The opinions seem to be all over the place on them. I did notice what you said about a lack of standard and being stuck with one manufacturer, which I also did not like. I know I am going down that route with the shrike but there the benefits outweigh the risk. I agree, I am not sure it does on more standard uppers. I was not really worried about bolt heat. I was thinking it would help clean up the inside of the receiver. If its not really helping, I would skip it for sure. I still have a lot of research on the M16 to do. I guess I better get moving on it now that I actually have the gun.

Wallet hurts reading your post...but that's a pretty killer 'get'. Where do you plan on shooting it?

I always wonder about people who are into the full-auto NFA guns - how do you afford the ammo that, presumably, you blow through?

We shoot often at the AGC. Come out and join us!
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=92590

With MGs, you don't shoot as often but when you do you shoot more. Picking a MG with cheaper ammo is key. The cost probably is not as bad as you think.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I don't see any advantage to paying more for an upper than a PSA premium blemished. The blem uppers I have gotten had almost unnoticeable blemishes. Out the door with bolt carrier for $350 range. Paying double that for no more functionality makes no sense. They also have great deals with free float key mod rails if you want that.

Gary7

May 2, 2013
    I would also avoid using KNS pins in that lower. KNS pins do break and the design of the KNS pins will keep a broken one in the receiver as it fires, all while eating the hammer or trigger pin holes in your lower up.

I have been very happy with the KNS non-rotating pins I installed in my Sendra M15 conversion. Many rounds of 223, 9mm, 7.62x39, and 22LR have gone downrange in the past 6 years and I haven't seen any issues.

Do you recommend some other brand, or none at all?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have been very happy with the KNS non-rotating pins I installed in my Sendra M15 conversion. Many rounds of 223, 9mm, 7.62x39, and 22LR have gone downrange in the past 6 years and I haven't seen any issues.

Do you recommend some other brand, or none at all?

None at all. Rotation of pins don't wear out receivers. Removing the pins repeatedly and improperly, and overgassed guns damage lower receiver holes. Anti rotational pins also are not recommended with geissele triggers which happens to be the only approved aftermarket trigger group for U.S. Govt Carbines. Rotational wear is a marketing angle that people buy into. Just like snake oils, titanium firing pins, receiver rugs, 1 piece gas rings, roller cams, gas piston conversions, solid firing pin retainers, and receiver tension devices. There are few internal "improvements" outside a better barrel, detent adjustable gas, extractor spring, and trigger that's an actually deliver improved performance in an AR15 and M16.

I have military receiver gauges and I have yet to measure any reduced wear on FCG pin holes in an AR or M16 using Anti Rotational Pins. I also have plug gage sets to measure outside the confinememts of the reject military gauge I have. If they offer any benefit, it s to dscourage FCG removal because the standard anti rotational sets require allen keys to remove which in itself can help reduce wear by people who take the pins out too often or improperly.

If one wants more durable Hammer and Trigger Pins the Geiselle pins are superb and don't break as often as Milspec Units.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't see any advantage to paying more for an upper than a PSA premium blemished. The blem uppers I have gotten had almost unnoticeable blemishes. Out the door with bolt carrier for $350 range. Paying double that for no more functionality makes no sense. They also have great deals with free float key mod rails if you want that.
    Agreed. They give a great cost/performance value. I do prefer hammer forged barrels for high use guns though. In have seen problems with canted FSBs and problematic BCGs from PSA but nothing that I couldn't fix. They are very bad with C.S.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

You just shoot what you can afford. Some people spend 10x as much on a dragster and $100 in fuel for each run. Or, ever take a boat out for a day and pay for fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom