• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Does the Canik TP9SA (new single-action version) require another submission to get it on the Maryland Handgun Roster, or does the current TP9 approval cover the TP9SA?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I looked at one at a shop the other day--already purchased-- that was stuck on the shelf pending the next Roster Board meeting. I believe March or April?

I was told that although it is basically the same firearm, the change in nomenclature from TP9 to TP9SA forces a second Roster Board review. Sucks.

This is the next great firearm to take off in MD I think. Interchangeable grip backstraps, ambidextrous safety/decocker embedded FLUSH with the frame, and an 18 round mag available when you visit out of state. The only learning curve with it is that after you decock, you have to rerack the slide to put it back in gear. A full racking action pops the round out of the chamber, but just a partial rack--Glock style--will recharge the striker.

I want the Coyote tan version, big time. Less than $350 and it comes with a custom Serpa style holtster with paddle and belt plate, and even a mag loader sleeve. Amazing, and very well reviewed on top of that.

I want, I want.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I looked at one at a shop the other day--already purchased-- that was stuck on the shelf pending the next Roster Board meeting. I believe March or April?

I was told that although it is basically the same firearm, the change in nomenclature from TP9 to TP9SA forces a second Roster Board review. Sucks.

This is the next great firearm to take off in MD I think. Interchangeable grip backstraps, ambidextrous safety/decocker embedded FLUSH with the frame, and an 18 round mag available when you visit out of state. The only learning curve with it is that after you decock, you have to rerack the slide to put it back in gear. A full racking action pops the round out of the chamber, but just a partial rack--Glock style--will recharge the striker.

I want the Coyote tan version, big time. Less than $350 and it comes with a custom Serpa style holtster with paddle and belt plate, and even a mag loader sleeve. Amazing, and very well reviewed on top of that.

I want, I want.

Thank you for the reply. This is what I thought because I went to a couple of stores online and they wouldn't sell to MD resident, but would to other states with mag limits, so I assumed that it wasn't covered. I'm picking up a regular TP9 on a trade, but will probably eventually get the SA as well. I have a couple of other Caniks and six CZs, and I like the Caniks as much as the CZs - great guns!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Here's an excellent review from Team Sootch down in South Carolina. He points out that Mec-gard makes the excellent BLUED mags for the TP9SA, and that they retail for only around $20 a mag. That means for an outlay of LESS than $500 you can have this full-size 9mm with an excellent trigger, plus holster, and SEVEN mags. Wow.

No way you can watch this vid and not come away impressed. The Turks have a great history making guns--think Baretta's Stoeger line.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/inde...ol-2-18rd-mags-polymer-frame-fixed-sight.html

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    In case you want to purchase from preppergunshop.com, they won't ship the gun to Maryland. They are just like Bud's - won't change out the mags, replace them, ship without them, etc. They have a bunch listed on gunbroker.com at really good prices and then I read their conditions:

Attachments

• prepper.JPG
      prepper.JPG
      39.1 KB · Views: 480

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    So, here's what puzzles me about this gun... Why would anyone on earth want a gun with a "decocker" button that renders the gun dead with a round in the chamber? Seems like a button I wouldn't want to mistakenly hit on a loaded, holstered self defense gun. Seems pretty useless on a range/competition gun. I wouldn't buy this gun at any price. Plenty of guns with good triggers and ergonomics out there to choose from that don't have stupid buttons on them. Of course, YMMV.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's derived from the design of the Walther P99 QA/AS. The first time they got the decocker right but had a gritty trigger that folks complained about. In this newer iteration, the trigger is improved but decocking results in an inactivated gun. With the P99, one still can pull in double action mode after decocking the striker (and in single action mode, the trigger is great). The P99, for this reason, has second strike capability.

I have two P99 AS pistols, regular size and compact, and will eventually get a second compact one for the safe in case they ever discontinue the line so I have a back up. It's a great gun (so easy to get on target - and the second strike worked once at the range in an unplanned situation when using some crappy brand ammo - such a great feature for a striker-fired small carry gun that has 10 +P rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber).

However the P99s can run $150-200 more than the current pricing for the TP9SA. Hickok45 was raving about the TP9SA's trigger, and the price point is appealing enough (I've seen $325) to get as a range toy. It's on my list. However, I agree with your logic. For carry, I don't understand the design logic to decock in a manner that requires two hand operation to rerack.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Yep. The operation of the previous version made sense. It was essentially a DA/SA striker fired gun with multi-strike capability. The idea definitely fills a niche.

I'm just not sure why the button on this version needed to do anything. I guess some people just like their buttons. I just can't think of an occasion in which a sane person would ever push the button.

While no one really needs to justify a range toy, it baffles me why this gun would make it to the top of anyone's list.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Like Fidelity, I have a P99AS and numerous other guns for carry, so I would never use the TP9 (in any configuration) as a carry piece - it is just too big for me. But, I am a collector and the TP9SA sounds like it would be a nice range gun.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    In case you want to purchase from preppergunshop.com, they won't ship the gun to Maryland. They are just like Bud's - won't change out the mags, replace them, ship without them, etc. They have a bunch listed on gunbroker.com at really good prices and then I read their conditions:

I was in contact with preppergunshop back in the fall about ak pistols. They told me they were willing to ship the gun but not the mags and wouldn't send the mags to a separate address in a "free" state either.

At the time, ak pistols had been approved but hadn't been added to the roster

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I had the same issue with CDNN. They won't ship handguns to Maryland either. Mags, no mags, they don't care. My wife and I really need to move to a free state like North Carolina. Where you can still by a Rock River in a Walmart.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    If you’re interested the Century Arms web site is selling the mags for $24.99 each. That is a deal considering what Sig and HK mags are going for these days.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    As for the decocker taking the trigger out of the fight...you can do a partial re-rack of the slide to reset the trigger without the round ejecting. This will not satisfy the folks who are critics, but it's not the problem that it appears to be as first thought.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom