ONLINE SURVEY - let's get some accurate numbers on application submissions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Finally received my MD ccw today.....no restrictions. Took forever. I was sure I'd be denied and have to appeal but got my xmas gift early this year

Can you give us more details please? Also welcome to the group. I see you only have 2 posts.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Thank you, I just joined. Basic background on me: 10 year decorated LEO who left my agency on bad terms. After leaving policework several years ago I got a position as a insurance fraud investigator. I figured with my background as a LEO I had a good chance but wasn't sure since I didn't leave my agency on good terms. I applied back in March, didn't have my background interview until May and then didn't hear anything for weeks. The trooper who did my background said he needed to just speak to my ex wife and current wife to verify no history of domestic violence but he never called either of them. I left him several voicemails and he finally called me back around June and asked if I had received my permit. I explained I hadnt. It was really weird, I think I had slipped through the cracks or he forgot about me and when he got my messages he had an "oh sh*t" moment because he realized he had dropped the ball. He called my wife the next day, just confirmed no dom violence and then he called and said he was sending it up the ladder. I waited until July and then got a letter from permit unit requesting that I obtain a letter from my employer endorsing the permit or get a letter from my former agency. My current employer refused to endorse my request, but I was able to get a letter from my former agency and that seemed to have done the trick. In the end it took nearly 10 months for me to get it, but I did. I applied under under the basis of protecting myself in my current position from those I investigate and deal with, but also had a secondary focus on being former police. Thats was my G & S. glad to answer any other questions. Stay safe.

Well let me say welcome to the group and good for you. It all makes sense now and I assume they just treated you like they would a PI?

I know this retired sheriff that told me of some type (I can't remember what he called it) of permit that Leo with 10+ years in can get that is a federal permit good everywhere. Have you ever heard about it? He told me at one time it was 15 years as a LEO but it was changed to 10 years.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I know this retired sheriff that told me of some type (I can't remember what he called it) of permit that Leo with 10+ years in can get that is a federal permit good everywhere. Have you ever heard about it? He told me at one time it was 15 years as a LEO but it was changed to 10 years.

10+ quals for HR218, LEOSA

If applying for a permit under that condition then whatever work he went into doesn't matter.

You sure know a lot of Police Officers with plenty of 'advice'.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I was contacted today. My references were contacted today. I have a phone interview set for tomorrow. Applied March 2012. Officer asked if I was still interested in getting my permit, what my reason was, and if I had any threats. This is my first mdsp contact since applying.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I was contacted today. My references were contacted today. I have a phone interview set for tomorrow. Applied March 2012. Officer asked if I was still interested in getting my permit, what my reason was, and if I had any threats. This is my first mdsp contact since applying.

Me too. Same questions. I applied pre stay, early March. This was also my first contact. I don't know if he contacted my refs, but he did talk to my wife.
    He asked me if I knew it was legal to carry in my home and on my property.
    I guess they are going through the motions. I did mention I had a FLA and VA permit, not that it matters though.

Taurus85

Jun 25, 2011
    Rosedale, MD
    Interview complete -- Interviewer called back today 12/07/2012 App sent to Licenseing

This sounds like the same oficers that contated me, yesterday. He also spoke to my wife. He said he called my references and could not reach them. He gave me two phone numbers and asked if I could called and have them call him.. which they did. He also said he call me back in a week or two. After doing his interview and paper he send app. to llicenseing department. He was aware of court action. He also said he did blame for getting a CCW. Its sounds to me MSP is getting ready to do something as soon as the court acts. My app was filed March 8, 2012. This is the first contact by MSP..

Last edited:

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    i applied Dec 19 2012, got my finger prints back from CJIS 2 days later, got a call from a sgt.of the MSP today and did a phone interview and my references were also called, I think thats great turn around, by the way the sgt. she was very nice.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Did you have GSR? Just wondering if they are still proceding with non GSR apps.

As far as I know they are sitting none G&S apps that were submitting back last March/April. But if you submit an app at this time and do not have G&S they will process the app but will not be approved for lack of G&S. So if you do not have G&S it would be smart to wait.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    As far as I know they are sitting none G&S apps that were submitting back last March/April. But if you submit an app at this time and do not have G&S they will process the app but will not be approved for lack of G&S. So if you do not have G&S it would be smart to wait.

I know thats why I was asking him.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    10+ quals for HR218, LEOSA

If applying for a permit under that condition then whatever work he went into doesn't matter.

You sure know a lot of Police Officers with plenty of 'advice'.

I'm 55 and over the years I have been friends with many, city, state, and county. A hand full of my friends became LEO's when I was growing up. All great guys. Or at least the ones I ran into. I had two as references on my MD permit app.

Within the last 3 years I met two that I deal with because they are FFL holders, also very nice guys with good advice. I just bought a new gun from one last month. The other that I also bought guns from in the past as well as do transfers through is also a gun smith. Often when I'm saying I know this one LEO or that one LEO I'm talking about just a hand full of the same guys. My daughter's God Father is a AA county LEO.

When I was going through the MD collectors process I made a connection with a trooper in the hand gun section that I bounce questions off of from time to time to this day. My neighbor is a Balto County LEO that is over my house often.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    i applied Dec 19 2012, got my finger prints back from CJIS 2 days later, got a call from a sgt.of the MSP today and did a phone interview and my references were also called, I think thats great turn around, by the way the sgt. she was very nice.

Whaaaaaaaaat?!
    Mine was received March 12th, 2012.
    I just received a call, and my references called this morning.

By the way. Do you have so-called GSR? or did you put down "self-defense"?

jrod36us

Aug 3, 2012
    TO : Govenor O'Malley

Dear Govenor O'Malley , do you want my guns i purchased legally after going through a background check ? Please send someone to TRY to take them...:tdown:

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    Hi, I did my interview July 2012 with a Trooper. Still have not heard anything back. Are they still holding applications? Has anyone received a conceal permit besides people that require them for work?

rtjacks2

Jan 22, 2013
    I applied for a MD CCW, met with a trooper, my references were checked, and I was denied. I appealed the 1st denial and spoke with another trooper. He was professional and listened to me, but in the end I was denied again. I know SAF has petitioned for the SCOTUS to hear the "good and substantial" clause. What are we doing in the mean time. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom