• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    When choosing a custom holster, I look at quality, cost, style, and lead-time to make my decision. There are several makers out there now that are nearly equal on the first three, so many times it comes down to who has the fastest lead time.

It seems like too often now, a company will put out an overly optimistic lead time to get a larger share of orders. It's happened to me twice now (two different companies), and it pisses me off.

When you put "within 6 - 8 weeks" on both your website, and your confirmation e-mail (which should be the most up to date), I really should have at least a shipping notice on the 8th week. It's now week 12 and I know that it still hasn't been shipped out.

I like to think I'm pretty patient, and if they had put "12 - 14 weeks" as their lead time, I probably still would have given them the order, I wouldn't be upset, and I wouldn't be posting about it.

Not to come off as a whiner...but anyone hear me on this?

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I did get in contact with them first. They said they were a couple weeks behind, but said they would be shipping last week and send me confirmation when they did(n't).

Just tired of it because it's the second time I've been through this and seen the same answers.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I did get in contact with them first. They said they were a couple weeks behind, but said they would be shipping last week and send me confirmation when they did(n't).

That's not a good sign, you might want to follow-up with them again.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just talked with Cochise Leather. They're running a little behind because this is the middle of the Christmas rush. Pushing delivery time out to 8-10 weeks...

Could be, you are experiencing the same thing.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Could be, thanks. I will be following up with them. They have an excellent reputation, so I'm not worried about never getting it.

From my experiences, and reading about others, this just seems like the norm for this part of the industry. I'm just a little surprised I guess.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Just shows one of two things: 1. Lack of concern for the customer. 2. Their business is bigger than what they can handle.

Either way, they can atleast give accurate lead times. I have given myslef a little extra time for delivery of anything. If lead time is 2 weeks, tell the client 3 to be safe. That way they are surprised when they get it earlier or not disappointed to get it in 3 weeks. Aslo, don't promise something if you don't have control over every aspect of the item(material delivery, weather, special processes).

I also like ordering from some of the lesser known guys. I like the way the "small" guy does business, is willing to accomodate your needs and it is nice to help someone out.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    I had a great experience with El Paso Saddlery. Estimated ship time 4-6 weeks, actually shipped at 4 weeks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not Milt Sparks. They tell you right up front because they don't want to be accused of bad service. Current wait is 24-30 weeks. They build in a buffer because they can't get everything out the door at once.I have 3 VM II's. Just gorgeous

Great products. Great Service

Long wait

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Not Milt Sparks. They tell you right up front because they don't want to be accused of bad service. Current wait is 24-30 weeks. They build in a buffer because they can't get everything out the door at once.I have 3 VM II's. Just gorgeous

Great products. Great Service

Long wait

And they do lose orders because of their honesty. I like it though. :thumbsup:

As long as we are mentioning those that are on-time:
    Comp-tac: though they are more semi-custom, shipped my order on time with no problems.
    Alabama Hoster Company: shipped very close to their 30 day quote and stayed in good contact through 2 separate orders.

And yes, I think I need to stop buying all these holsters.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    My holster did come in today. 13 weeks exactly if anyone wants an idea of their current lead time.

Can't complain in the least about the quality/workmanship.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Ordered a Seekins upper and lower and have been told 8-12 weeks on three separate occasions, that was about 10 months ago when I placed the order and have heard just about every excuse under the sun. The last I heard from them it was out getting the finish put on, we'll see how long that takes.

I have been patient and have not tried to be a bother to anyone in this whole process because I know the work will be tier 1 quality, let's hope they don't disappoint me on that.

Feelin your pain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom