• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Nice first post.

Maybe if the OP introduced himself then asked for advice about BPS or any IP then his experience coulda, woulda or shoulda been more pleasant and a less waste of your valuable time.

Maybe some of our BPS guys could have helped you out or at least let you feed the fish or hump one of the animals on display at the climbing wall.

Live and Learn

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Went to BPS last week to buy a gun - waste of an hour and a half. Poor customer service and lots of disgruntled customers

Went to the Gun Shack in Mt Airy today - great customer service and all paperwork done in about 5 minute. Will definitely be going back

I don't think everyone here would agree with your analysis. BPS is not a firearms dealer, they're a big box outdoor sporting store that happens to sell firearms. It's like comparing a Walmart Supercenter to a neighborhood convenience store. I like BPS just fine, but my expectation of service in any big box chain isn't very high. I shop for the prices, not the smiles.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    What I can't figure out is why BPSs ammo prices are so high. For a store that has the capacity to do very high volume you would think they could have decent prices on ammo, targets, and other consumables.

I won't even visit the gun counter anymore, I definitely agree with one of the other posters that if you actually decide to buy the employees act like they are being burdened with the paper work.

As for the necessary number system, It never fails I get the number behind some guy from Baltimore who has never owned a gun, hasn't taken a safety class, and is in there hoping to pick up a gold plated Desert Eagle or Judge for home defense use and plinking for himself and his 110 lb girlfriend.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    What I can't figure out is why BPSs ammo prices are so high. For a store that has the capacity to do very high volume you would think they could have decent prices on ammo, targets, and other consumables.

I won't even visit the gun counter anymore, I definitely agree with one of the other posters that if you actually decide to buy the employees act like they are being burdened with the paper work.

As for the necessary number system, It never fails I get the number behind some guy from Baltimore who has never owned a gun, hasn't taken a safety class, and is in there hoping to pick up a gold plated Desert Eagle or Judge for home defense use and plinking for himself and his 110 lb girlfriend.

Ammo prices are so high due to the overhead of operating a high end upscale store with the frills that BPS has. Walmart has low ammo prices because they run an efficient high volume per store no frills operation.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Are the lines at the gun counter really long during the week...say around 10am? My wife and I want to go so she can look a over under shotguns. I'm just a little hesitant after seeing what the weekend crowd looks like

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I stopped by there last Saturday since I wanted to see a Glock 26 Gen 4. I was surprised that their inventory dwindled so much. Only 2-3 Glocks in the case. I will saw that, for the most part, the staff have always been friendly when I've gone up to the gun counter. Not a big fan of the long wait. I did buy my Sig P238, but it wasn't one of the greatest experiences so I probably wouldn't buy a regulated firearm there again.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I only buy ammo there occasionally. There have been multiple occasions where I was made to wait just to ask a question.

Case in point, I went into BPS to check out a TLR weaponlight. I had every intention on buying the light that day. I was told to pull a number when I asked if there was one in stock. When my number was called two hours later, after I had walked around the mall a few times, I was told "Sorry Sir, we don't have it in stock. We can order it though."

I have bought a few guns from BPS in the past but that experience curbed the desire to do even that. There is no reason to go there and deal with the wait with the amount of quality local gun shops around the area.

The number idea is great, I guess, for keep track of who is next for guns. However, I think if there are employees who don't want to deal with customers questions it can be an excuse for poor customer service.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I only buy ammo there occasionally. There have been multiple occasions where I was made to wait just to ask a question.

Case in point, I went into BPS to check out a TLR weaponlight. I had every intention on buying the light that day. I was told to pull a number when I asked if there was one in stock. When my number was called two hours later, after I had walked around the mall a few times, I was told "Sorry Sir, we don't have it in stock. We can order it though."

I have bought a few guns from BPS in the past but that experience curbed the desire to do even that. There is no reason to go there and deal with the wait with the amount of quality local gun shops around the area.

The number idea is great, I guess, for keep track of who is next for guns. However, I think if there are employees who don't want to deal with customers questions it can be an excuse for poor customer service.

customer 1- "excuse me, can you answer a quick question?"

worker-(with a 4473 and customer's rifle in hands) "sure, how can I help you?"

customer 1-"can i see that nikon monarch real quick?"

worker-(who's original customer, customer 2, is now growing impatient and wanting to finish up his rifle purchase) "Okay...(has to go find someone with keys to unlock the counter real quick since there are rarely enough for everyone)...here ya go"

customer 1-"what kind of eye relief does this have?...can i see that one now?...what kind of mounts should I use?...etc......."

customer 3-"HEY BUDDY! you doin the number system or what!?"

worker-"yes sir, he just had a quick..."

customer 3-"well this jagoff is 10 numbers behind me, i want to talk to your manager"

customer 2-"hey, you forget about me? can we go ahead and check out now?"

customer 1- "i'll take that nikon monarch"(means looking up the item's sku to find if you have more than 1 in stock...we have 2...okay, now you're searching the scope cage in backstock trying to find that extra one....only someone put it on hold and it's not there....or it's a return and laying in the defect cage....so now you've got to find the box for the display...which the customer doesn't want without a 70% discount....which you've got to ask a lead, and then management about..."

...this not-so-hypothetical situation is just to demonstrate that many "quick questions" turn in to much bigger things. Customers are great at using a, "hey, can you flip that price tag for me?...what caliber is that...Etc...can i see it...i'll take it", foot in the door technique starting with "quick questions". The reason we have to strictly adhere to th number system, is because customers often act like tantrum-throwing little girls if we stray from it the smallest bit.

I try to probe customers waiting(not in a clandestine way) if i'm in the middle of paperwork, or something where i have some downtime, to knock out some of the quick things people need that are waiting in the crowd. Other workers have had to put up with getting shouted at by bosses and customers for straying from the number system and now just plain don't do it any more.

A tip for the future if you're in a similar situation...the hunting workers walking the aisles are put there to answer quick non-gun related questions. If you need something non-gun related behind the counter, you can ask one of the workers in the aisles if they can help you. They should be able to look up quickly in the system if we have one or not...especially since they often have the rf gun with them to do display integrity reports and things like that. They aren't going to be help if you want to just buy a gun though. Some of them are in the aisles because paperwork errors kicked them off of the counter and they aren't allowed to sell guns anymore.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Are the lines at the gun counter really long during the week...say around 10am? My wife and I want to go so she can look a over under shotguns. I'm just a little hesitant after seeing what the weekend crowd looks like

The mornings are typically pretty slow, depending on the time of year. Once hunting season is over, the crowds pretty much die down...especially during the week. 10am on a weekday should let you walk right up and be helped.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I respect your response. Rather than use your tip however, I will choose to patronize places that do have time for a quick question followed by a smooth purchase. My kids do like the fish tank :D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I respect your response. Rather than use your tip however, I will choose to patronize places that do have time for a quick question followed by a smooth purchase. My kids do like the fish tank :D

Sounds good. I like to give my money to dan over at gunconnection. I don't know if you've tried his shop yet, but ya should. He's good people and he somehow packs an incredible amount of stuff in his shop. When I called around for prices on an m&p for my buddy tony, dan's price punked every other gun store in the area.

Last edited:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

I wouldnt expect the employees to actually know anything about skeet or trap guns. At 1000 I doubt you would have a wait.

I would go to Bart's in Glen Burnie instead, they stock a lot of nice competition guns.

I will acknowledge Smokies comment about asking a worker in the aisles, many times I've been asked if they could hellp me.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I wouldnt expect the employees to actually know anything about skeet or trap guns. At 1000 I doubt you would have a wait.

I would go to Bart's in Glen Burnie instead, they stock a lot of nice competition guns.

I will acknowledge Smokies comment about asking a worker in the aisles, many times I've been asked if they could hellp me.

I agree. In all honesty i really just want to get a feel for different guns so i can narrow down my choices

Thanks for the tip on Barts :thumbsup:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Weekdays from 10-12 are pretty light, but so is the counter staff. The good thing is that most customers there at that time are buying or picking up. There aren't many 'lookers' ...

I was there last Monday at 10AM to fill out handgun paperwork and got out in less than an hour. I still had to take a number though.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    When I called around for prices on an m&p for my buddy tony, dan's price punked every other gun store in the area.
    That's kinda funny. I bought my M&P from him and saw it for $10 cheaper right after at the Bass Pro Shop.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That's kinda funny. I bought my M&P from him and saw it for $10 cheaper right after at the Bass Pro Shop.

If our local shops can get within $50 or less of the BP prices I say we should all be supporting our local shops. They need us and equally so we need them. I've never bought a handgun from a mass merchant, only a few of the common long guns that really aren't the specialty bread and butter of our local guys.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I've been to Bass Pro many times for hunting clothes, ammo, tree stands and to look at the guns. I haven't bought any guns from Bass Pro but it's not because their selection was bad or because I thought their staff was not knowledgeable. In fact, walking the aisles I found the staff trying very hard to help people find what they were looking for.

Folks, the paperwork is a disaster. I've bought dozens of guns and I *still* make an occasional mistake and it takes me a LONG time to get it all right.

And, is it just me noticing that the OP had exactly just 1 post?
    I'd say it was an obvious troll.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom