• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    just because they made a bunch of them will still make it a "niche" round as it's referred to as.....300= change a barrel, 6.8= change almost everything...it's a no-brainer

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I just can't bring myself to buy one in 6.8SPC. Nothing wrong with it. In fact, I'm sure it's a good bit better than a 5.56 any day of the week. I wouldn't mind having another mouth to feed, I just want one that eats the same thing as my other rifles.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    The P90 had some big contracts all over the world. I would not consider it any replacement round or even near the current popularity of 300AAC.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I've had my lwrc 6.8 for about a year now and have done some farm yard ballistic results (on whole chickens - I know we are a little sick on the eastern shore) and there is significant difference with 6.8 verses .223. I do like it but the cost is quite a bit more. Mine is an sbr with 10 but still quite accurate at the 200 yard mark with the acog.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Since the lower no longer takes standard AR mags, like say a 9mm AR, would that make it MD legal?
    Yep... assuming this is really the case and it can no longer take 5.56x45 mags. An enlarged magwell doesn't necessarily make this so.

The P90 had some big contracts all over the world. I would not consider it any replacement round or even near the current popularity of 300AAC.
    I'd bet that 5.7x28 is WAY more popular than .300AAC in terms of how many rounds are sold. .300AAC has zero military or LE takeup, as far as I can tell.

Anyways, I've always liked 6.8 as an alternative to 5.56, so I'm glad to see it's getting some traction again.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I've had my lwrc 6.8 for about a year now and have done some farm yard ballistic results (on whole chickens - I know we are a little sick on the eastern shore) and there is significant difference with 6.8 verses .223. I do like it but the cost is quite a bit more. Mine is an sbr with 10 but still quite accurate at the 200 yard mark with the acog.

If you shop around you can find bullets for 17-20 and I have a bunch of premium hunting bullets i got for 30-40 cent a piece so its not that much more than 223 and for anything bigger than a coyote id def trust the 6.8 a lot more.

Brass is the only difficulty im having. Finding spent brass is tough.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Yes .300 blackout is easier to switch too because of magazine & bolt interchangeability, but when you talk about ARs in other calibers such as AR-15, with bolt modification

223 WSSM
    5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
    243 WSSM
    6mm PPC
    6mm WOA
    6mm BR Remington
    6mm Hagar
    6.5mm PPC
    6.5 WSSM
    6.5 WOA
    6.5mm Grendel
    25 WSSM
    6.8x43mm SPC
    .30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
    7.62x25
    7.62x39mm
    .30 RAR
    300 OSSM
    .357 Auto
    .35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)
    .358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)
    .458 SOCOM
    .50 Action Express
    .50 Beowulf

I think 6.8spc is the better/more popular round out of the ones listed! either way this round is moving forward, I remember when it first came out everyone killed it and said it would never last (this is after the US Military decided to stay away from it)! "6.8spc, don't buy it 6.5 grendel is the way to go"...... Oh my how things have changed. It will increasingly get better as ammo becomes more affordable and a little cheaper. More manufacturers are offering ammo, and more rifle companies are making provisions for it either as conversions or standalone offerings. Barret, Magpul, LWRCi, PRI, Federal, Ruger a lot of big names (and that is just the tip of the iceberg) I am happy with this!

My 5 top AR must have rifle calibers are (in no particular order) 5.56/.223, 7.62x51, 6.8x43 SPC, .300 Blackout, .22LR

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Yep... assuming this is really the case and it can no longer take 5.56x45 mags. An enlarged magwell doesn't necessarily make this so.

Good news (no other mags can work in it)!! We need to start ordering these ASAP!!!

We should get together at BRGC one of these days... I bet the contents of my safe might provide some interesting review material for you.

This is a great idea, just gotta wait tell this weather breaks a bit!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Now someone just needs to make 5.56x45 magazines in that bigger format they're using for the 6.8 mags. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom