• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If you have the target model you can only shoot .223. Otherwise .223 and 5.56.

I shoot Tula and PMC more often than not. The ZQ1 5.56 that has been at Walmart also works just fine. My Mini is not finicky but I have read some of the newer ones are.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've had a few, my favorite is my Stainless GB with wooden stock and flash hider. It's an ex department of corrections gun.

As long as you've got the mags it likes, you can feed it whatever the hell you want. I feed mine the crappiest of steel case and it begs for more. Which is weird, because I had a mini-30 that hated steel case, although I think there was some kind of problem with the chamber in that particular rifle.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A have a couple of factory select fire ac556 machine guns. They like steel cased ammo.

Not really a sub moa gun, but good enough ,,, at par with any Akm.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    A have a couple of factory select fire ac556 machine guns. They like steel cased ammo.

My mini is mid 80's version has eaten everything put in it. Never had a problem with the firearm. Still on my regular shooting rotation.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

you have MORE THAN ONE ac556?!

I guess they are a pretty common NFA item, but still, that's awesome

Have you gotten either hot enough to get the heat scale on the barrel?

A friend of my cousin has one, and I got a call from him one day (the cousin) saying that he had somehow rusted the barrel of his friend's stainless machine gun.

Wipes right off though, nothing to worry about.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I did a beta c mag dump on one before it went back to Ruger for service( they used to rebuild it to specs , not anymore).

I did cook bacon on the suppressor. Just for kicks. It actually burnt it and caught on fire.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    don't get me wrong, the a-team was great.

But even if I'd never seen it, I fell in love with the mini as soon as I held one.

I was new to rifles at the time and I remember thinking-

"If I had to, I could play baseball with this gun and it would probably still work"

It reminded me so much of my dad's M1 carbine, but easier to get ammo for, and lethal to longer ranges I hoped.

Mini-14 fanboys unite!

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    the independence re-manufactured 5.56 you mean?

I've never had problems with any ammo in any of my minis, only my mini-30 and as said, I think there was a hump in the chamber.

New PMC seems to be way better than old PMC just BTW

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Depends on your intended purpose for that ammo... unless you're implying that you don't even know the cartridge in which your new rifle is chambered...

The second part of your ^^^ post is what I'm reading from the OP.

YMMV, but I prefer to only shoot brass case .223 in my GB

I'm fairly certain it'll eat 5.56, and even steel cased ammo, but I'm still a bit cautious... but that's just me.

It's a fun rifle, and very solid. Enjoy.

This ^^^

The mini14 and 30 have a tappet valve somewhat similar to the M1 Carbine. That valve can get gooked up with crud and cause the gun not to function properly if it gets too gooked (crudded) up with shitty ammo. If ya' use shitty assed Wolf or Tula (gunpowder made from freeze-dried yack dung), ya needa' keep the valve assembly clean and should be a part of the regular firearm cleaning process.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My first NFA rifle was a Winchester m1 carbine arsensal converted to select fire. Then the AC 556s.

It felt really nice, lightweight, reliable and compact. Back in the 80's... They were state of the art. Nowadays. It's just a beautiful gun. Can't say that for the many plastic/ aluminum wonders.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    it's not hard to clean the valve.

Once you have the trigger assembly out you can just lock the bolt back and everything is big enough to clean with a rag and some breakfree or preferably ballistol. Pipe cleaners work well for scouring lightly the actual gas port.

My buddy has a mini that he has literally NEVER cleaned other than occasionally spraying breakfree down the bore- not even scrubbing it out mind you, just squirting some in there and leaving it.

Never had any problems, and as far as I know he only shoots the cheapest ammo he can get his hands on. It actually says in the manual that the gas system is self cleaning, and while I'm wary of grand claims, this one seems to be legit, it's a lot like an upside down AK.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I probably should have mentioned you remove the trigger group to get the stock off, not try to poke some kind of long thing into the gun through the missing trigger assembly.

I forget I was dealing with a newb for a second

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom