• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redbaron

Nov 2, 2011
    Hagerstown
    I'm thinking of purchasing a AK pistol to turn into an SBR before the trust laws change, and as I was reading the MD AWB law I got really confused, hopefully somebody can shed some light. And if this covered to death somewhere else, I apologize in advance...

So I was reading through the list of banned weapons, and it says "AK-47 in all forms", but that was listed under the rifles section. Am I right in assuming that if a gun is classified as a pistol from the manufacturer, no matter what style or caliber it is, it doesn't fall under that restriction, provided it's not specifically named somewhere else?

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    I'm thinking of purchasing a AK pistol to turn into an SBR before the trust laws change, and as I was reading the MD AWB law I got really confused, hopefully somebody can shed some light. And if this covered to death somewhere else, I apologize in advance...

So I was reading through the list of banned weapons, and it says "AK-47 in all forms", but that was listed under the rifles section. Am I right in assuming that if a gun is classified as a pistol from the manufacturer, no matter what style or caliber it is, it doesn't fall under that restriction, provided it's not specifically named somewhere else?
    SBR'ed AK != rifle, you will be fine. can still get factory AK SBRs as well.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Pistols and sbr.still legal in MD

This is correct.

However, be aware that in SBR form, the rifle must still meet all of the "copycat test" provisions or it will be banned as a "copycat assault weapon."

That is:
    It must be at least 29" in OAL, with the stock extended as far as it can go and without any removable muzzle devices.

It can not have more than one of:
    A folding (NOT collapsing) stock
    A flash hider (this includes suppressors)
    A grenade launcher

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom