• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonK

Oct 10, 2015
    Indian Head, MD
    Well, one of my delegates is a co-sponsor...

Sent her the following:

Delegate Jameson,

I will be in the forefront come election time reminding everyone that you co-sponsored this ill conceived bill that continues the GA's attempt to prevent law-abiding MD citizens in the ability to protect themselves.
    Our colleges and universities can make their own decision as to whether they are a 'gun-free' zone or not. This mandate from the GA is another prime example of the disdain the assembly has for minorities and poor that are more likely to utilize public universities.
    Do you honestly think that a criminal will care about breaking one more law in carrying a firearm onto campus? All this bill does is guarantee that no LAW-ABIDING citizen will be present to discourage violence upon the students.
    Thanks to the earlier bills this year in going after hunters firearms as well, I'm sure I'll have a large audience here in Charles County to oppose another term for those that want to make Marylander's vulnerable to those that wish us harm. I will be sure to make a point of the fact that these bills target our black and low income families the most.

Good Day,
    Ronald _______
    Indian Head

Similar emails I've sent to my other Delegates, encouraging them not to vote for this trash. At least some of them respond to me occasionally.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Well, one of my delegates is a co-sponsor...

Sent her the following:

Delegate Jameson,

I will be in the forefront come election time reminding everyone that you co-sponsored this ill conceived bill that continues the GA's attempt to prevent law-abiding MD citizens in the ability to protect themselves.
    Our colleges and universities can make their own decision as to whether they are a 'gun-free' zone or not. This mandate from the GA is another prime example of the disdain the assembly has for minorities and poor that are more likely to utilize public universities.
    Do you honestly think that a criminal will care about breaking one more law in carrying a firearm onto campus? All this bill does is guarantee that no LAW-ABIDING citizen will be present to discourage violence upon the students.
    Thanks to the earlier bills this year in going after hunters firearms as well, I'm sure I'll have a large audience here in Charles County to oppose another term for those that want to make Marylander's vulnerable to those that wish us harm. I will be sure to make a point of the fact that these bills target our black and low income families the most.

Good Day,
    Ronald _______
    Indian Head

Similar emails I've sent to my other Delegates, encouraging them not to vote for this trash. At least some of them respond to me occasionally.

I have friends and a lot of family in chuck county but I see the build up of the dorf and who is moving in and the reps now elected there and I believe charles county is now all but lost. its a shame too. we had a lotta good times there back in the day.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Well, that sounds a little bit either/or, but it's not. It's both. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are against this bill and who have grandchildren in college, too.

Miller went through college without this bill in place, didn't he? Were his grandparents negligent or uncaring?

Hell...

I have grandchildren in Elementary School and a niece in Middle School, and I'd be most pleased if there were 'good guys with guns' in their buildings!!

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If my parents weren't already deceased and buried in Arlington, I'd call them today and ask why they didn't keep me safe like Mike and Mike do.

:sarcasm:

(They'd roll their eyes.)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I was just informed that testimony cannot be submitted any more as it was in 2nd reader yesterday, where all the R amendments were shot down.

While we were over fighting it in the Senate yesterday, they were back dooring it over in the House.

Time to expose another "shenanigan" of those spineless coward tyrants.

DEMOCRAT
    COWARDLY
    TYRANNY

(The Following is not directed at you Raineman, nice to meet you and the next generation yesterday)

Where was everyone when we testified on HB1002 in the House appropriations Committee? There were exactly four people that testified against this bill, only one of them was a student and Maryland citizen and not a "talking head" for any organization.

If this passes out of the House and to the Senate, there needs to be a whole lot more involvement and attendance for that bill hearing.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Putting this here, so I can retrieve it if needed... but feel free to pick from it...

President Miller, who loses credibility by the day, is on record as saying he's determined to push this through because he has grandchildren in college. Am I to glean from that, that other residents' children and grandchildren have not previously been worthy of his vision of 'safety'? I have grandchildren and a niece in elementary and middle schools, and having trained and armed people in the schools would be a lot more comforting than being fish in a barrel should some crazed individual decide to inflict harm.

We know that there have been no incidents in Maryland in recent memory where this bill would have had any effect (other than to make criminals of the law-abiding, of course), but somehow this is necessary?

It's becoming increasingly apparent that the leadership in the General Assembly (both chambers) are bent on defying the will of an increasing number of Marylanders, in an effort to ramrod an anti-Second Amendment agenda through. It also seems that there are pressures being brought against first-term legislators to follow this scheme.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Someone mentioned that this bill would criminalize driving through a campus with a firearm in the car. I get that it would if you are on the private roads of the college or university but what about state and local roads that go through a campus? Can anyone confirm or refute that?
    If true there are a bunch of people near me that will have their 2A rights completely eliminated as they must drive through a campus to get home.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Someone mentioned that this bill would criminalize driving through a campus with a firearm in the car. I get that it would if you are on the private roads of the college or university but what about state and local roads that go through a campus? Can anyone confirm or refute that?
    If true there are a bunch of people near me that will have their 2A rights completely eliminated as they must drive through a campus to get home.

IIRC, the bill states "property of the school", not "campus". State and county roads are not real estate owned by the schools. But there is a lot of property owned by colleges and universities that is not marked as such, so the bill is still awful and criminalizes otherwise innocent behaviors to make a political point.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Typical.

Maryland laws that require an AG to explain them back to the morons who created them.

Centuries of Common Law set aside in favor of Euro/Mystical/Communist/Collectivist governing. How Anti-American can MD Democrat legislators be?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If we had to boil down the arguments against this to 4 or 5 hard-hitting headlines, what would they be?

Theyre moving tool fast and recklessly to see anything more complicated than STOP or DANGER AHEAD signs.

We had some great signs for the toy gun bill. What would you put on a sign against this bill to shame and ridicule them?

A confusing map with campus buildings scattered among the populace?

Every "campus" is different, based on geography and layout, urban vs isolated.

There's no way a one-size-fits-all prohibition would work.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    MARYLAND PATRIOT CALL-OUT THIS MORNING, for people who can join this last-chance effort to influence legislators heading to this morning's session for a vote!. We need you for an hour at 10am at Lawyers Mall.

Here are new signs being deployed to try to shame these feckless, shallow Democrat lawmakers into understanding how DUMB they are to vote for CAMPUS GUN FREE ZONES.

Yes, a VERY confrontational sign, but Democrats are not listening to facts, science, or reasoning when they push infringements of this magnitude. These are deliberate attempts to create nightmarish self-defense TRAPS for law-abiding Marylanders who take responsibility for their own safety.

Again, we need YOUR BOOTS ON THE GROUND WITH US THIS MORNING. If you can spare an hour to join us at Lawyers Mall from 10am you can make a difference!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      82.6 KB · Views: 172

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Here's the background on HB-1002 (the Weapon-Free Higher Education Zone) bill scheduled to be taken to the floor of the House of Delegates TODAY Friday, 11 March 2016:

The chief bill sponsor Del. Ben Barnes (D) - District 21 (Prince George's and Anne Arundel Counties) could not be more contemptuous in his responses regarding questions about his bill.

When respectfully asked yesterday (Thursday) morning why military veterans with carry permits were excluded in his bill from carrying on every college campus in the state system, Barnes response was "Good question."

Asked twice, the same answer was given twice: "Good question."

But you are the chief sponsor -- it's your bill; surely you can answer this question. "Because," he finally sneered, "the bill is based on the K through 12 model law for gun-free school zones."

"But that law is for school children; colleges are attended primarily by adults, including responsible returning veterans."

Barnes smirked and said "I used that model because it prohibits everyone and everything. Besides, no one asked me to exclude veterans in my bill."

"But you can certainly still amend your own bill to in exclude veterans with carry permits from the firearms prohibition, so they can carry on campus. Almost all veterans have weapons training, and many have experience in combat. A veteran with a carry permit could prevent a massacre on a college campus."

"I don't care. Besides, it's not my job to amend the bill." Barnes whirled around and walked away.

The targeted language on the signs pictured here is our response. The House of Delegates will consider amendments to Barnes' gun-free campus bill before a final vote.

These signs, among others, will be on public display, for all the Delegates and Senators to see as they walk over to the State House before their respective sessions begin at 11 AM today.

Come to Lawyer's Mall anytime before 11 AM if you want to hold any of these signs, or others related to this bill, to protest this contemptible and nonsensical rejection of our honored and courageous veterans.

We need more sign-holders; it makes more of an impact when theses signs are held by someone facing the legislators instead of being leaned against a planter, and even more so if you are a veteran yourself. You can also ask the Delegates and Senators your own pointed questions as they pass. There is 2-hour parking on the surrounding streets.

The sign picket will begin at 9 AM and remain active until around noon, or whenever the last chamber adjourns and remaining legislators make their return walk through Lawyer's Mall back to their offices, when they walk through the gauntlet of protest signs a second time.

The Senate has not released a vote result on their cross-filed version of this bill, heard this past Wednesday; that hearing went poorly for them. As usual, the Democrat sponsor Sen. Richard Madeleno and his witnesses cannot answer substantive questions about his own bill, only about how they all feel about it.

There is potentially still time to influence the outcome of both bills.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      77 KB · Views: 181

Mr H

Banana'd
    If we had to boil down the arguments against this to 4 or 5 hard-hitting headlines, what would they be?

Theyre moving tool fast and recklessly to see anything more complicated than STOP or DANGER AHEAD signs.

We had some great signs for the toy gun bill. What would you put on a sign against this bill to shame and ridicule them?

A confusing map with campus buildings scattered among the populace?

Every "campus" is different, based on geography and layout, urban vs isolated.

There's no way a one-size-fits-all prohibition would work.

Many colleges and universities (AACC comes to mind) share multiple commercial buildings with others. Would they consider the whole building a 'campus' or just the space for the college? And, if the former, what of the lawful CCer in the building?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom