• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebxgsxr

Apr 3, 2011
    near BWI
    How much does this artisan want for his piece of gunsmithing sculpture?

he is asking $850

Does the "registered" lower have a serial number? Since the seller is WV a MD FFL will need to xfer it so it really depends if you find an FFL willing to do it or not.

What is the point of finishing an 80% if you are going to register it? Unless this rifle is being sold dirt cheap I'd pass in favor of a factory built gun.

he said he lives in MD, so all i would need is a bill of sale since i'm a MD resident also.

Attachments

• 12939352_10206154014878388_554290240_n.jpg
      12939352_10206154014878388_554290240_n.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 167

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I would be a little worried about taking a home builders word that it is an HBAR, kind of hard to point out company advertising saying it is an HBAR if the MSP finally defines it as something different.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    he is asking $850

You can get a better rifle than that for $850, or an awesome one for a little more (look at the E-Forge rifles that Engage Armament builds for $999 right here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=191285 for example).

Plus it will have none of the potential downfalls of this deal.

he said he lives in MD, so all i would need is a bill of sale since i'm a MD resident also.

Is that a picture of the rifle?

If so, it's NOT from an 80% lower unless he had some fancy engraving and coating done. I don't recognize the trademark, but that looks like a commercial lower to me.

Are you SURE that he's not saying he built it from a "stripped" lower as opposed to an 80% lower? (Or maybe he's confused about that bit...)

Did he used to live in WV or something? WV (as far as I know) doesn't even have any sort of gun registration, so maybe he means he bought it there or something? In any case, the whole thing seems a little odd, and it really isn't a good enough deal to bother with the potential issues.

Theoretically, since you are both MD residents (but I would make EXTRA sure of that...) you can buy it face to face since it's an HBAR.

But I wouldn't. For that money, I'd go with a quality new rifle from a known source.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    850 bucks for a 80% lower home build?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Go get yourself a Colt or Engage rifle and be happy.

There is nothing on that rifle jumping out as a "deal". And the potential headache (besides legal questions) are obvious.

ebxgsxr

Apr 3, 2011
    near BWI
    Is that a picture of the rifle?

yes that is the rifle in the picture.

i'm not sure if he has lived in WV prior or not. but at the rate it's going, it doesn't look like i'm going to be getting it, lol.

thank you all very much for your input. seems like you saved me from a bit of a headache.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A lot of people seem to think filling out a 4473 is "registration."

The word seems to be used very loosely to mean something like "lawfully owned" or "legitimate" or "legal."

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Have a friend of mine who is on this forum and cant remember his password lol. Found someone selling an AR that was built from the ground up from an 80% lower. The person says the lower is registered in West Virginia in his name. Says the gun is compliant with all maryland law (HBAR). So question should he and can he buy this AR.

There is no registration in WV.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    If seller honestly thinks his rifle is registered in WV, he doesn't know enough for you to trust him that it's an HBAR.

Skip. Avoid. Run away....

For the same money, you can get an equivalent rifle made by a real manufacturing business instead of on the floor of some guy's bedroom, that comes with actual documentation that it's MD-legal.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Seems to me that the seller bought the lower in WV, not sure if they were a resident or just bought it there. I think he has the 80% thing confused with stripped as someone mentioned. I am not sure he can or could ever buy a stripped lower from a WV store as a MD resident without getting it transferred through a MD FFL. Seems like way to many red flags with the most being the price of which you can get a Colt HBAR for. Seems like a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom