• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dghboy315

Dave Luu
    Mar 5, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    I am looking for some self defense instructor recommendations. I have 2 different people looking for instruction. Both are relatively clueless to self defense, so I'm think they need to start with something that focuses on mindset as opposed to techniques.

The first person looking for the recommendation is my mother-in-law who recently had a sexual assault attempt. She's in her 60s, has some mobility problems and is total oblivious about self defense. Lives on Kent Island but spends time with us in Rockville.

The second person is a co-worker who just moved into an area that has some crime. She is a little nervous about it. She in her late 20s and is physically active but has no experience with security. Works in DC and lives in Germantown/Gaithersburg.

I would appreciate any advice.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Find an NRA "Refuse to be a victim" class. Great material for what you are looking for. Try to find an instructor with some LE experience. It adds something to the class, I feel.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I would go with taking the NRA REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM class (like ProShooter recommended). From there, let them decide what other classes (SABRE CSAP/personal pepper spray, Krav Maga classes, etc).

Jacqueline

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Mar 1, 2013
    I am teaching the refuse to be a victim class this month. She can come for free.

I also am teaching women only firearms classes.

I have walked in her shoes.

Please feel free to contact me.

Glock.Woman@aol.com

dghboy315

Dave Luu
    Mar 5, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Thank you for all the informative replies. I will check out the NRA Refuse to be a Victim program. I will respond to all the PMs individually. Thank you!

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    I am looking for some self defense instructor recommendations. I have 2 different people looking for instruction.

In general, it's almost impossible to get a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun in Maryland, especially Montgomery County.

I run a Self Defense class in Rockville, MD....using MMA fighting techniques and also weapons training. It's also geared towards getting in shape and getting strong. You'll be training like a fighter. But it can be toned down or cranked up per each person's abilities. Currently, there's a free week trial. Monday & Wednesday 6-7pm and Sunday 2-4pm. Just show up in gym clothes and tell the receptionist that you're there for the SD class with Mark. www.grappling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom