• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Homesteader

Aug 9, 2011
    Catonsville
    Has anyone tried out or heard about rifled barrel shotguns? Is a standard barrel with a rifled slug not adequate or is it just that extra rifling for added accuracy? Those near Baltimore or rifle-restricted areas, wouldn't a rifled slug do well enough? I'd rather stick with a standard and adapt the shot to the need unless I'm really missing out. If you need that much accuracy, shouldn't you just be shooting with a rifle anyway?

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    general rule is rifled barrel use sabot slug, smooth bore barrel use rifled slug. the problem with using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel is the two riflings don't match. it leads up the barrel and decreases accuracy greatly. not much good past 25 yds

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have my shotgun setup so it is on at 50yds with rifled slugs(6"group) 100yds(2 3/4" sabot) 150yds(3" sabot). The sabot groups are way better but to 50yds 6" is minute of deer. My smoothbores hold 2-6" at 50yds with Sluggers.

Last edited:

Homesteader

Aug 9, 2011
    Catonsville
    Right, right. Forgot about sabot and wrapping. I have a solid New England 20 ga now and would like a good one for fowl, etc. but want to avoid the cost of a rifled barrel shotgun if possible unless they're cheaper than I'm envisioning.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    Never really had the need to own/use a rifled barrel shotgun, but they are way more accurate and far reaching than a rifled slug/smoothbore combo. As far as price is concerned, you can usually get a rifled barrel for the more popular shotguns so you can save a little $$ there. I've seen some decent cheap used Marlin/Mossberg bolt actions for ~$250 so for a hardcore deer hunter, it really wouldn't be a huge expense.

Sabot loads are way more expensive, though.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    The rifled slugs, or Foster slugs, will do fine in a smooth bore barrel, out to about forty yards or so. Trouble is, shotguns aren't exactly precise with their bore size, and neither are slugs. You may have to experiment to find the right one for your gun. Fortunately, they are pretty cheap to try different brands.

Sabot slugs are by far more accurate, some are shooting groups out to 200 yards. Trouble is, they're very expensive, and sighting in can be almost as expensive as the gun itself. Once you find the one for you though, you're good to go.

"If you need that much accuracy, shouldn't you be shooting a rifle anyway?"
    Not really. One of the farms that I hunt is in a rifle county, but the owner will only allow shotguns. He has many fields, several hundred yards across, providing long shot opportunities, so the accuracy is needed there. He, like the state, falsely believes that the slugs are safer than rifles. Many others hunt in shotgun only counties, and while most shots in the woods are limited, the longer range does present itself sometimes.

Hope this helps.

MH

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Foster or Brenekee slugs in a smoothbore are trial and error in individual bbl, both as to grouping and POI . Even in the most accurate combination, the slugs themselves will have stability issues at "some point" past 75yds.

My Marlin 512 will do three shots touching at 50yds. I sight 1.5 in high at 50 ( BRI stone age slugs , but consistantly very accurate).

If your smoothbore is reasonably well regulated as to POI , and 50yd , possably up to 75 in ideal situation fits your needs and expectations , you are good to go , and don't look back.

If 125 yd , hypothetically up to 200 (different debate) capability would be desired , then welcome to fully rifled bbls.

Popular guns have accesory/ aftermarket bbls available. H&R / NEF offers several flavors of fully rifles singles in both bull bbl , and "light wt" . The standard wt bbls also accurate , but the age old trade off of recoil vs ease of carry.

Yes ammo is expensive, but you can be pragmatic. Any of them will be more than powerful enought to slay whitetails, accuraccy then becomes deciding factor.

Start out with two , maybe three loads. Make one of them BRI Origionals. As long as at least one of them groups 1/2 minute of whitetail , declare victory , finalize sighting , and declare victory and go hunting.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Have been using a Hasting Rifled barrel on my slug gun for 18-20 years, added a good scope: Leupold 1.5x5 and never looked back. Lightfield slugs is the answer to your next question.

Good luck

Jerry

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've used Foster rifled slugs in a Mossy full rifled barrel and never had leading or accuracy issues. It prints consistantly prints 3 shots touchng at 35 yards standing if I do my part.

Like wise shot a smooth bore slug barrel that put shots on top of each other at 25 yards today. I agree, it how well quality components are matched up.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    You can use rifled slugs in either barrel, sabots should be used in a rifled barrel because they are undersized for a smoothbore, and buckshot/ shot only through a smoothbore.

Sabots will extent the range, but for me I'd just use a ML if I expect more than a 75 yd shot in shotgun counties.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Both of my mossbergs, 835 and 935, with rifled barrels just love remington 3" sluggers. Scoped and rested, it shoots tight groups at 100 yards.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Both of my mossbergs, 835 and 935, with rifled barrels just love remington 3" sluggers. Scoped and rested, it shoots tight groups at 100 yards.

Thanks ill give them a shot in my New 500 sometime, I had it bore sighted at bass pro and tried some Hornady sabot SST's, they shot like crap out of it, but then i tried some Winchester Sabots,2 3/4, 1oz slug and they were Dam near dead on. Thats what im using this season.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008

Funny you mention that..I usually shoot a Marlin 512 with Lightfields. Just goofing off one day I took my 870 out with a rifled slug barrel and some cheap slugger ammo. at 50 yards all 3 were touching!! Stayed that way all day...Alot cheaper than Sabots for sure...

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Personally I shoot both

In my scoped H&R slug gun with a rifled barrel I shoot Lightfields 2 3/4. Very accurate and very tight groups at both 50yrds & 100 yrds.

In my back up gun, a 20g Rossi Slug gun we shoot the cheap Remington sluggers. This gun is for the kids to learn hunting on. I could not see spending $3 a round for the kids to shoot. For having iron sights and cheap slugs this thing shoots very well. Three inch groups at 50 yards.

My hunting buddy has the same H&R that I have and he shoots the cheap stuff with nice groups. I saw three of the deer he shot last year and the all ran less then 20 yrds. Shots were all inside 75yrds. All had good size wound tracts

Bottom line is this

Are we target shooting or hunting?
    How much are you willing to spend on ammo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom