• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    A buddy of mine owns a house in a rural portion of AA County and the local deer are tearing up his trees. What are the laws to keep in mind when deciding how to dispatch these deer? I know there's a state law about 100yds from a dwelling, but he should be able to get the neighbors' written permission since the same deer are tearing up their trees, too. Other than that, I'm not a hunter, so I don't even know when deer season is. Any recommendations?

Even some off-the-wall suggestions are welcome (but please keep it practical). For example, would it be legal to use airsoft and scare them off?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Crop-damage permits, licensed hunter, archery setup (can include crossbow)

That's how I'd do it. Archery is waaaaay less intrusive (but more difficult). They can't report gunshots with a bow or crossbow.

If he does it himself, I don't think he has to be licensed as long as he's on his property only.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    How are bow hunting laws different from rifle?

AA is a Shotgun County (IIRC, never hunted AA, and don't have my book. Based on population density I'm pretty sure it's a shotgun county) That basically means a rifle cannot be used to hunt deer.

If you are applying for crop damage permits (my guess is it's too late now, they'll likely suggest you allow hunters in the fall first then re-evaluate next year)

If you are hunting during regular hunting season, archery allows more days afield than regular firearms season. That will give you more opportunities. Plus archery is much less intrusive (no gunshots to report) and less likely to tip neighbors off.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    AA is a Shotgun County (IIRC, never hunted AA, and don't have my book. Based on population density I'm pretty sure it's a shotgun county) That basically means a rifle cannot be used to hunt deer.

If you are applying for crop damage permits (my guess is it's too late now, they'll likely suggest you allow hunters in the fall first then re-evaluate next year)

If you are hunting during regular hunting season, archery allows more days afield than regular firearms season. That will give you more opportunities. Plus archery is much less intrusive (no gunshots to report) and less likely to tip neighbors off.

+1 on the rifle vs shotgun.. only few counties allowed for hunting deer w/ rifle and i know AA is not one of them..

"crop" damage permit.. i thought thats only for the farms or some sort.. ?

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I know they make some sort of spray deer repellent but I have no idea where to get it or what the cost is. I doubt he can get a crop damage permit and shooting deer outside of season without a license is doubly illegal.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    +1 on the rifle vs shotgun.. only few counties allowed for hunting deer w/ rifle and i know AA is not one of them..

"crop" damage permit.. i thought thats only for the farms or some sort.. ?[/QUOTE]

I thought this was a farm situation, you're absolutely right

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the "Suburban Deer Management Zone" crossbows are legal during entire archery season ( and all guns seasons like statewide). Arrow use gets around restrictions on discharging firearms. Silent weapons get around raising the ire of ever anti hunter within eat shot.
    The number of deer you can take with regular lic in "SDMZ" is huge. First step is for you and your friend to take your Hunter Saftey Class in order to putchase lic. Or if your friend hunts ONLY on own property he is exempt from purchasing Lic, but is still expected to follow season, bag, and reporting requirments.

JRSpicer426

Dec 11, 2007
    Might be late to the party on this one, but i believe in the past, unless changed, crop damage permits allowed any weapon to be used. Normal hunting season firearm restrictions did not apply. Local ordinances could intervene but AA count has no such ordinances that I'm aware of.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    Where do you hunt I live write outside of Annapolis and started hunting last year with a good friend of mine never even saw one last year went out a half dozen times and froze my ass off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom