• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    I have never written my elected leaders on any issue until today. Here is the letter I sent to my Delegates and Senator in the Maryland General Assembly and of course the Governor. Probably a waste of time with the Governor but at least I live on the Eastern Shore and I'm pretty sure they will vote our way if they want to keep their seats. I'm also going to send this letter to my Congressional Representatives as well with a few revisions. I hate how after I send an email I think of something better to say. Anyway here it is, I'll post the responses I get if any.

I am writing this letter in response to the just announced plan to limit my rights in the State of Maryland as it pertains to the Second Amendment. I have never written any of my representatives before but have been persuaded to now.
    I have served this country in the military and now serve this state as a law enforcement officer. I have given up the best years of my life defending the rights that are provided by the Constitution of the United States. Now this may have been for nothing and it is a slap in the face.
    Would you limit the right to free speech? Would you limit the right to self incrimination? How about cruel and unusual punishment? Or do you simply choose to limit the rights that you do not value or choose to exercise yourself while preserving those rights you feel most important to you?
    An all out "Assault Weapons Ban" will not stop criminals or gun violence. A ban on high capacity magazines will not stop criminals. It will simply stop law abiding citizens from owning these items. Criminals will get their hands on guns whether there is a ban or not. We simply need to look at places like Washington, DC or Chicago, IL. These places have some of the strictest gun laws in the country and also have some of the worst crime statistics as well. And now the worst thing I've heard in a long time.
    It has been reported the Delegate Jon Cardin wishes to tax the citizens of Maryland for ammunition and an annual tax of twenty five dollars for gun registration. This is outrageous, especially in this economy. When I read this I had to check my web browser to ensure I was still reading a legitimate website. To tax ammunition and add a gun registration tax is a slap in the face to all law abiding gun owning citizens.
    I am not opposed to increased background checks and fully support limiting gun ownership to those who are clear dangers to themselves and others or as should be referred to as criminally insane. I also support strengthening and enforcing the laws currently on the books. Why is carrying a concealed deadly weapon only a misdemeanor in Maryland? Why do we not follow federal guidelines as it pertains to crimes of this nature? Why not the mandatory five year sentence like the federal government uses for illegal gun possession?
    In closing let me say this. I am only one person and one vote and I'm sure you are not worried about one vote. However, let me be clear when I say that I will not vote for anybody who supports any infringement on my gun ownership rights as it pertains to the issues I have brought up. Please remember this as you think about what legislation you vote for as I am one person but my views are shared by many. I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and we have a proud history of hunting and outdoorsmanship. We do not take this issue lightly. Thank you for your time and I hope you will consider what I have said.

Sincerely,
    mrb2217 (real name was used of course)

mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    Well here is the standard response I got from Governor O'Malley:

Thank you for contacting the Office of the Governor. Each piece of correspondence is reviewed on an individual basis to ensure all concerns expressed by citizens and visitors of Maryland receive full consideration.

Please accept this as acknowledgement that your message has been received.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. I benefit by knowing your views.

Very truly yours,

Martin O'Malley
    Governor of Maryland

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Just sent to my state reps:

Honorable Senator and Delegates -

I am shocked to read this morning of the restrictions on gun ownership proposed for New York. Coming on the heels of Governor O'Malley's remarks at the Johns Hopkins conference, I worry about excessive restrictions about to be proposed for Maryland.

The New York restrictions will only affect law-abiding gun owners. They will limit NY citizens' ability to protect themselves and to enjoy the legitimate sporting uses of guns.

I ask that you oppose efforts to limit gun owners' rights in Maryland. I will be following the legislative progress through the NRA-ILA and Maryland Shall Issue.

I also sent a note to Donna Edwards, but that's basically a waste of free electrons.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    mrb2217 and hodgepodge

Good letters thanks for posting!

Copies can be sent to the Balto. Sun at this email address:

mcorey@baltsun.com

You may have to copy and paste the link into your browser to make it work.

Regards
    Jack

mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    LOL, yeah I work in PG so I got a pretty good laugh at your Donna Edwards comment. Unfortunately I think we are destined to be one of the strictest states for gun control. I predicted AWB, no high cap mags and background check / 7 day wait for all guns not just regulated. I never would have thought that we would be taxed to pay for mental health care. Then again I don't know why I'm shocked, I'm paying extra at the bay bridge to finance a road in Montgomery County that I've never used.

mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    Here a response I got back from Delegate Hershey from the Upper Eastern Shore.

Dear mrb2217 (real name was used),

I want to thank you for contacting me regarding legislation that could potentially affect firearm ownership and our Second Amendment rights. Your input is extremely helpful as I make decisions on issues that come before the General Assembly.

As you know, Governor O’Malley recently outlined his gun control proposals. His intent is to push through legislation which could leave law abiding citizens defenseless.

We are currently planning strategy through a bi-partisan team of legislators to defend ourinalienable rights and defeat the Governor’s misguided attempts to stop criminal acts of violence. I will oppose any legislation that infringes on our Constitutional right to bear arms or places any restrictions on our ability to freely protect ourselves, family and property.

We will also operate on the offense. Attorney General Gansler continues to delay enforcement of the 2010 decision that struck down the good and substantial requirement to obtain a permit to carry. I will once again support legislation (HB 38) that requires the State Police to issue handgun permits to law abiding citizens by establishing a presumption that the applicant qualifies for a handgun permit and repealing the good and substantial reason clause.

In response to concerns regarding school safety, I have also co-sponsored legislation that will place a County Safety Resource Officer in each school with funding for these officers to come from State gambling revenues. I think it is important to ensure local control of school security as opposed to a federally mandated system.

It is my personal view that any infringement and reduction in rights provided by the Constitution should be of concern and a source of trepidation for any citizen. We will need your support during the bill hearings and with a letter writing campaign to specific legislators on the House Judiciary and Senate Judicial Proceedings committees.

We will continue to stay in touch with you. Please continue to share your views with me because it is important to include concerned citizens like you in the legislative process. Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Stephen S. Hershey, Jr.

Maryland House of Delegates

District 36 – Upper Shore

mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    Here a response I got back from Delegate Hershey from the Upper Eastern Shore.

Dear mrb2217 (real name was used),

I want to thank you for contacting me regarding legislation that could potentially affect firearm ownership and our Second Amendment rights. Your input is extremely helpful as I make decisions on issues that come before the General Assembly.

As you know, Governor O’Malley recently outlined his gun control proposals. His intent is to push through legislation which could leave law abiding citizens defenseless.

We are currently planning strategy through a bi-partisan team of legislators to defend our inalienable rights and defeat the Governor’s misguided attempts to stop criminal acts of violence. I will oppose any legislation that infringes on our Constitutional right to bear arms or places any restrictions on our ability to freely protect ourselves, family and property.

We will also operate on the offense. Attorney General Gansler continues to delay enforcement of the 2010 decision that struck down the good and substantial requirement to obtain a permit to carry. I will once again support legislation (HB 38) that requires the State Police to issue handgun permits to law abiding citizens by establishing a presumption that the applicant qualifies for a handgun permit and repealing the good and substantial reason clause.

In response to concerns regarding school safety, I have also co-sponsored legislation that will place a County Safety Resource Officer in each school with funding for these officers to come from State gambling revenues. I think it is important to ensure local control of school security as opposed to a federally mandated system.

It is my personal view that any infringement and reduction in rights provided by the Constitution should be of concern and a source of trepidation for any citizen. We will need your support during the bill hearings and with a letter writing campaign to specific legislators on the House Judiciary and Senate Judicial Proceedings committees.

We will continue to stay in touch with you. Please continue to share your views with me because it is important to include concerned citizens like you in the legislative process. Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Stephen S. Hershey, Jr.

Maryland House of Delegates

District 36 – Upper Shore

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    Esteemed Gov/Senator/Delegate,
    I have read and seen a great deal about the current gun debate. I think it is wonderful that we are shining a light into this corner of our society. For too long, civil rights have been trampled. Up until the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s, segregated neighborhoods were enforceable by law. We have seen similar travesties against speech, and privacy, and yes, the right to protect oneself and one's family. Where many are falling victim to fallacious arguments about how this regulation, that restriction, or this new law will make us safer as a society, and that just one more move by government will finally prevent tragedies such as that in Newtown, CT, which sparked this round of enthusiasm and debate. I know of no one whose heart does not bleed for the tragedies suffered by our fellow citizens, and none perhaps, is so egregious, as the violent loss of young life. However, there is no justification for sacrificing Liberty. The sacrifice of Liberty on the altar of safety, or for political gain, sullies the memories of all those who gave up so much, even their very lives, so that we could live free.
    We do need to do something. We do need to act to prevent future tragedies from happening. We need to look for what actually works, even if it is counterintuitive. We need solutions that do not cut back the Liberty of the citizenry. Rather than making criminals out of those who have not infringed upon the Rights of others, we need to empower them. We need to restore the fullness of exercise of our Civil Rights. We need to repeal restrictive gun laws. We need to eliminate the illusory "gun free zone" legislation. We need to allow teachers, principals, aides, janitors, and parents to be armed in schools, and everywhere else in society that lives could come under threat. The citizens of America are her strength, not the federal government, federal agencies, state, county, or local police forces.
    On this crucial issue, and all those that will assuredly come before you in office, please vote so you are known as a defender of civil liberties.
    Respectfully,
    drwalther (real name substituted, of course.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom