• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Does it matter . Do I need to deprime before I tumble . I am going to be using a single stage press for reloading 9mm and 45acp. If they are not really dirty do I have to tumble at all. If there is alittle sand in them how much of a problem it that . I see some people on line wash them. That seems like a real pain. But I want to be safe. The idea of sand grains in the brass sounds like a bad idea to me.
    Can you guys recomend a process ?

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I have tried both tumbling before and after depriming. The biggest issue I had was that the media would get caught in the flash hole if the cases were deprimed before cleaning.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What Gibby said...
    If cases are dirty, I usually tumble them some before decapping and sizing. Really prefer not to stick dirt and grit ino the dies. Then toss them back in the tumbler to shine them up. I always clean out primer pockets and flash holes before priming so no problem poking a little media out of the flash holes.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    :beer:
    Sounds good guys. One of the guys I shoot with said if I dont care what my cases look like I didnt have to tumble them. But, I was thinking he's picking his brass out of the same sand and dirt I am and that could be a problem on my dies or seating a bullit or priming with sand granules. I sorted my brass by hand and wiped and blew any sand I saw off . But still. I am new to reloading. I'm thinking better safe than boom:mad54:

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I've been using The Lyman Treated Walnut Media (Turbo Tufnut) for some time now. I'm very happy with the results received.
    tumbling_media.jpg

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/tumblers/tumbling-media.php
    I always clean before the Decap/Resize process. I run them for at least 6 hours. This should remove all foreign matter that can and will damage a Die or Firearm! Once the Cases are ready for Loading I tumble them again for at least 8 hours.
    M44Loads.jpg

30-06Grand.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I always tumble rifle cases for about 1 hr before de-priming, just enough to clean most of the dirt off, so it doesn't crud up my dies, handgun calibers tumble for about 2 hours to get them "factory ammo shiny". The difference is that I use carbide dies for the pistol cases, and don't have to lube them, the surface after tumbling is basically the same surface the completed rounds will have. Rifle calibers OTOH are pulled out of the tumbler after 1hr, and spray lubed before de-capping and sizing (both happen in the same Lee die). The cases then go back into the tumbler for about 2 hours to both get the lube off, and get them "factory shiny". If I am loading them in a progressive press, the first die is a universal de-capper instead of a sizing die, this is very effective at pushing any media that is stuck in the flash hole out, they are already sized, so no need to re-size them again. For the cases that are loaded in the single stage, I check the length, trim as needed, and being the Lee cutter uses a pilot that measures the length with a pin through the flash hole(case has to be de-primed for it to work), that also pushes out and media stuck in the flash hole, so once trimmed, the primer pockets are also de-corncobbed. Then I go about priming, charging, seating the bullet, and crimping if needed

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    To get the lube off...
    Tumble again or sometimes I just wipe them down with a paper towel.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Remember... Use lizzard litter for your cleaning media. It is crushed walnut shells and it's cheaper!

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    I tumble first. There is no advantage to tumbling after depriming, as the primer pockets are too small to get any significant media in them. I throw all the brass I shot in the tumbler when I get back from the range and clean guns while I wait. After tumbling, I put all the clean brass in a ziplock bag until I am ready to load again.

For handloaded rifle rounds, the sequence is clean, deprime, uniform caselength, clean primer pocket, casemouth prep inside and out. After the casemouth is ready, the shell is finally ready for priming and the rest. Most bang for the buck in handloading for accuracy comes from having all your brass look and act identical to each other. Quality bullets have very little variance anymore, and gunpowder is pretty reliable, especially H322 and their ilk, so the biggest loss in shot-shot accuracy is usually the brass.

For pistol and plinker rounds in rifles, I skip all that and run them through a progressive reloader. I load pistol on the light side (barely make IDPA power), so I don't worry too much about brass flow and, in turn, caselength becoming too long. Every loaded round takes a trip through the case gauge before jumping into an ammo box, to insure it will feed properly. That last step has kept me out of a lot of trouble at the range and in competition.
    D

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    Lizzard litter you say. Safe to say any major pet store carries it. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Man I went to Gander Mt to pick up a tumbler. I could swear they had one for like $ 45.00. The reloading area was cleared out !!!!
    They didn't have sh--. They did have one tumbler for $75.00.
    I guess I waited to long. I'll be checking out midway I suppose.:sad20:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can buy a separate de-capping die just for that purpose. It is larger than most cases (I don't think it was built for .50 BMG) so no worries about scratching it. I've decapped before and after tumbling. Sometimes if I want to tumble two batches of brass of the same caliber together but be able to sort them later, I'll decap one batch but not the other (say one batch has been reloaded 2X the other 5X). Corn media will catch in the flash hole so you have to watch for that if you decap first.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Lizzard litter you say. Safe to say any major pet store carries it. Will have to check it out. Thanks for the tip

Yup! Think I got my last batch at Pet Smart.

Just ask the teenager in the reptile section for lizzard litter and they will know. Check the bag and it should say crushed english walnuts!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    +1 on lizzard litter. the stuff is cheap. not to mention no stores carry reloading stuff around here and BassPro is an hour plus drive as well as havin evil pricing. the media is heavy, so it costs to ship. the litter works fine. now i just need to find a farmers co-op with large quantities of corncob.....

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    If you Lube by rolling Cases on a Pad you shouldn't be getting any on the neck. But we all know accidents happen! I wipe them off with a clean soft cloth then tumble 8-12 hours.
    Note: remember Primer Pockets must be cleaned too!
    9574.jpg

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Ma...oductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=3249

What Lambo says.

I tumble first for an hour or so to clean. Now keep in mind that I am reloading mil-surp rifle brass. I then decap, clean and uniform primer pockets, then trim the case. I'll then tumble again for a few hours to make em nice and shiny, then go about my loading business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom