• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Wasn't there legislation in MD about smart guns? Something to the effect of if the technology becomes available, it becomes law? I can't remember if this passed several years ago or not. So please correct me if I am wrong.

But even if it did not, it's opening up a whole new can of worms in this state. Andy is free to sell whatever he wants, but I'm my opinion, this is just pure counter productive for our battle. And yes, I have purchased from them. I was/am a satisfied customer.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Wasn't there legislation in MD about smart guns? Something to the effect of if the technology becomes available, it becomes law? I can't remember if this passed several years ago or not. So please correct me if I am wrong.

But even if it did not, it's opening up a whole new can of worms in this state. Andy is free to sell whatever he wants, but I'm my opinion, this is just pure counter productive for our battle. And yes, I have purchased from them. I was/am a satisfied customer.

There was a bill. I don't believe it passed.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I think it's an interesting concept, but I don't see the utility of the smart gun. Why not just lock your gun away when it's out of your control? If the gun needs a wrist band to work, kids are just going to try grabbing the wristband. So you have to lock that up. See step 1.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I like Engage and won't hold this against them....but if this were a less well-liked dealer, people would be lined up with pitchforks at their door.

As we win more and more court cases, technology like this will be used to nibble around the edges of our rights until there's nothing left.

As an aside - this gun is still only available in .22lr, right? I don't think I would feel comfortable recommending a 10-shot 22 for self defense.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The market will decide if the politicians stay out of it. But if they get involved, it won't be because one gun shop in Rockville decided as a business decision to offer the product.

As stated, the technology is here anyway and rather than fight it, it should be seen as a possible way for our possible cash strapped dealers to survive.

Engage is free to sell it, Everyone is also free not to patronize them.

That's the way it works for now.

ETA-I think Electric cars are dumb, but if someone wants one, well.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Im really interested in defending my home with an unproven pistol, chambered in 22lr that has a battery powered RF dependent locking mechanism.

I wish it would encode my DNA on each projectile and feature the best upgraded software to decide automatically not to shoot unless i have done my duty to retreat. If the IFF upgrade becomes available.. Im in for two..plus extra CLIPs

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    hope software isnt microsoft product - pull trigger and all you get is "loading Please wait"

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    The market will decide if the politicians stay out of it. But if they get involved, it won't be because one gun shop in Rockville decided as a business decision to offer the product.

I get what you're saying - but the flip side is that the title of the WaPo article itself is a slap at gun rights advocates ("Maryland dealer will defy gun rights advocates..."). Politics is already involved. This is already being used to undermine gun rights groups.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Whats not to like?

It fires 22LR
    Battery powered
    RF signal dependent
    latest and greatest in technology( unproven)
    You still need a borelock
    Comes with a Casio looking watch from the 1970s
    Glow in the dark LED indicator
    Goes well with a smart car or a prius
    Water resistant
    It is potentially smarter than the owners

Waiting on a range report.

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I get what you're saying - but the flip side is that the title of the WaPo article itself is a slap at gun rights advocates ("Maryland dealer will defy gun rights advocates..."). Politics is already involved. This is already being used to undermine gun rights groups.

Typical Washington Post. They are really on a crusade about gun control. But here we are at the other end of their link, not feeling "defied" but supporting Engage.

Also I am enjoying the thought of Wapo readers clicking through to Engage's site expecting who knows what - a little Montgomery County gun boutique? Instead they find pictures of really nice AR-15s and AK-47s. :D

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    Whats not to like?

It fires 22LR
    Battery powered
    RF signal dependent
    latest and greatest in technology( unproven)
    You still need a borelock
    Comes with a Casio looking watch from the 1970s
    Glow in the dark LED indicator
    Goes well with a smart car or a prius
    Water resistant
    It is potentially smarter than the owners

Waiting on a range report.

Can you play Solitaire on it?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The lobbyist has a much harder time when the technology has sold zero guns.

Really? I guess that's why MD was able to ban AR-15's the most popular rifle sold in America. To say it works one way is to say it has to work the other.

Maryland General Assembly could care less if one gun is sold or 5,000 are sold.

Do you think it's fair in a free market society (what is left of it) to not be able to obtain the product? Say I wanted that exact gun should no one offer it if it's on the market?

I'm not for the technology and I fear mechanical devices (which guns are) fail to much as it is let a lone when adding a computer to it. I however do not see the sky falling from this. Nor do I understand how offering it for sale is going to end the world.

I'm glad your are in a place where the residents feel they could have enough affect on a situation with their wallet. We did that clearly pre Oct 1 with an alarming amount of gun sales and it still didn't show the MGA that the law was foolish or the people didn't want the restrictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom