• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Picked up a "BUFALO" at the Gettysburg Gun Show this weekend. It's a .25 ACP, Spanish, heavily influenced by Browning, pistol. These were made between 1919 and 1925, but this gun looks like it came off the assy line last week.

Photo's for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• bufalo_ejector_side.jpg
      bufalo_ejector_side.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 518
    • bufalo_safety_side.jpg
      bufalo_safety_side.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 594
    Last edited:

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks nice, I think I saw that one up there...or at least one that looked similar. I almost considered getting an Astra 300 but it had the grip safety nickel plated

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maybe they cloned the proofs too :)
    Ever see a chinese "Model 1900" with the gibberish on the slide?

The Eibar/Rubys are simplified knock-offs of the Browning 1903 and 1908s.

I think there's a Chinese Model 1900 clone at Simpson's right now. I was looking at it the other day. They also had a nice looking Ruby.

I could go for a real FN 1900...

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm really just digging in to find the history behind this pistol. Seems like the .25 ACP was real popular in Europe for French resistance folks. The ability to hide these little guns was paramount.

I'm not sure what the deal with the proof marks is. I zoomed in a bit for a better idea of what's on the gun. I'm truly amazed at how crisp the markings are on this thing and the bore shines like it is brand new.

Attachments

• bufalo_proof_marks.jpg
      bufalo_proof_marks.jpg
      152.8 KB · Views: 489

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Start with the link in Post #3!

Ooops ... yeah ... that!

OK, I've gotta be the jerk who says it. I'll try to be tactful. For the most part, the WWI "Ruby" pistols were not intended to be used a whole lot. They were copies cranked out in dozens of "factories" that ranged from actual small arms plants to spare rooms and sheds. While they aren't quite "one and done guns", nor were they expected to be taken to the range on the weekends. For many of them, 1,000 rounds down the spout would bring them to their expiration date, and any semblance of accuracy (if there was any to begin with) would be going away fast at about 500 rounds.

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot one that looks that good, but I'd probably run a mag or two through it for fun, then clean it really well and add it to the deep part of the safe.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    ... I'll try to be tactful. For the most part, the WWI "Ruby" pistols were not intended to be used a whole lot. They were copies cranked out in dozens of "factories" that ranged from actual small arms plants to spare rooms and sheds. While they aren't quite "one and done guns", nor were they expected to be taken to the range on the weekends. For many of them, 1,000 rounds down the spout would bring them to their expiration date, and any semblance of accuracy (if there was any to begin with) would be going away fast at about 500 rounds.

Roger that!

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot one that looks that good, but I'd probably run a mag or two through it for fun, then clean it really well and add it to the deep part of the safe.

Exactly what I had in mind. :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    People make a lot of stupid, stupid jokes about the French, but just imagine the Poilus who used to raid the German trenches with nothing but a few hand grenades and a Ruby .32.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Those look like Belgian proofs

They do indeed.

Maybe they cloned the proofs too :)

You might be on to something.

This page (that has a pic of the Browning proof marks side by side with the Bufalo proof marks) claims the proof marks were 'were probably just an effort to imitate the Belgian marks. For instance, Gangarosa states that the “PV” only appeared in Spanish pistols in the years 1923-1927.'
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/B_B/BB03/bb03.html

As I keep searching... I've come across some macabre facts about these little .25 ACPs. It seems that Vasili Blokhin used a German Walther Model 2 .25 ACP pistol as senior executioner. You can read about him here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Blokhin

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom