• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Congratulations to me! I just pulled the trigger on a WWII era Garand yesterday. I committed to buy on gun brokers. I was going to go the CMP route, and probably will later, but I wanted the first to be a historical purchase. So, I'm biting my finger nails, hoping that I don't get burned, or singed. I am posting my purchase for all to weigh in on. Please take it easy on me. I'm a nervous wreck about it already.:fingerscrossed::omg:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=437545760

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Congrats. Now order some ammo from CMP and take it shooting (ammo only takes a few weeks from them these days usually) and don't wait to get in on a CMP rifle. You'll end up waiting a few months to get a rifle from them so order now.... and CMP won't have them forever (some say they will run out some time next year). Who knows, you might luck out and get a second WW2 one from them (my last Springfield from them is a war time 6 digit).

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Hard to tell from only 3 pictures but you may have done alright. Lots of WW2 parts, decent replacement GI wood and what appears to be a like new LMR barrel, arguably the most accurate of the Garand barrels.
    Enjoy!

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    One thing to consider with the CMP is that you won't get charged until they ship your rifle. I have had an H&R on order since April and still have not received it but you can plan a budget out for 4-6 months and it is easier to justify!!!

Great looking rifle enjoy it. You don't have to fill out anything for the ammo. Just go onto the e-store through CMP and purchase some. It has been steadily going up in price as well.

5th one down on the list!
    http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=AMC

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'm pretty sure you still have to do all the qualification paperwork to buy ammo thru the E-store,someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I'm pretty sure you still have to do all the qualification paperwork to buy ammo thru the E-store,someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Augie,

You may be right, I ordered after I picked up a few rifles so I did not officially have to to buy ammo because they had it on file. It would make sense that you have to qualify for all purchases through the e-store

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Augie,

You may be right, I ordered after I picked up a few rifles so I did not officially have to to buy ammo because they had it on file. It would make sense that you have to qualify for all purchases through the e-store
    You never used to, but some time in the last 2-3 years they changed that. I ordered a rifle from them in 07 and purchased ammo up through 11. I tried to order some in 2013 and they said i needed to resubmit paperwork.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Hard to tell from only 3 pictures but you may have done alright. Lots of WW2 parts, decent replacement GI wood and what appears to be a like new LMR barrel, arguably the most accurate of the Garand barrels.
    Enjoy!
    I had him send me more pics. via. email. The parts looked good, from my limited knowledge. He is an older guy, sounds like 70's, who said he's had it in his gun collection for years. I don't know, we'll see when it arrives. I've got a good feeling though, no remorse, as I usually feel.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    One thing to consider with the CMP is that you won't get charged until they ship your rifle. I have had an H&R on order since April and still have not received it but you can plan a budget out for 4-6 months and it is easier to justify!!!

Great looking rifle enjoy it. You don't have to fill out anything for the ammo. Just go onto the e-store through CMP and purchase some. It has been steadily going up in price as well.

5th one down on the list!
    http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=AMC

Thank you for your valuable input. Gotta convince the wife we need another:D

No Garand is a bad Garand, but I think you could have done just as well, if not better, for a lot less by ordering through CMP.

I filled out the cmp paper work for a special grade, but decided to go with the one I chose because of the historic value to me and my grandsons. Cmp doesn't guaranty that I get a WWII rifle. The next one will probably be from there though.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Thank you for your valuable input. Gotta convince the wife we need another:D

I filled out the cmp paper work for a special grade, but decided to go with the one I chose because of the historic value to me and my grandsons. Cmp doesn't guaranty that I get a WWII rifle. The next one will probably be from there though.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I wouldn't characterize your rifle as "historically significant" - not any more than any other honest M1 Garand. You didn't get a WWII era rifle. You got a WWII era receiver that's been refurbed, had a new LMR barrel (nice barrel, by the way) added and had the furniture swapped. In the Garand world, those two things mean a lot. I haven't run through your parts list to see if they match up to your receiver number, but you can do that here: http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsList.aspx.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you did ask for opinions. You will not lose money on your Garand. That's a pretty good non-CMP price for a six digit SA.

You're right that CMP doesn't guaranty anything. I have learned that first-hand with my IHC. For $995, I got an IHC receiver and an IHC gas system/front sight package, with a new CMP stock and all other parts being a mix date of SA parts when it was refurbed at SA in 3-1963. My brother, on the other hand, go a completely correct IHC from head to toe, including stock, with the exception of the trigger assembly. One friend recently ordered a Service Grade Springfield - he got a 10-43 receiver with a 9-43 barrel, a USGI stock and all correct parts except it has an IHC bolt. I have another friend that got a 1944 Springfield receiver with a 1952 SA barrel and some mixed parts. Luck of the draw. What CMP does guaranty, however, is a Garand that has been inspected and armored by CMP armorers and issued with a CMP certificate for $350 less, and those things make a difference.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ordering ammo from the CMP requires you to already have your paperwork on file. The only difference between ordering ammo and ordering a rifle is that for ammo you can do it online. Once they have your paperwork, you do not have to submit it again each time.

Nice M1. It looks like it would qualify as a nice Service Grade. I think you did good on the price.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Awwe, you didn't rain, some of the other parts seem to be from '44. I really couldn't find anything on the op rod though. I just talked to him, just now actually, he said it was bought through the CMP. He said it was above service grade, he just doesn't remember the grade specifically. Like you said though, or someone said, there is no bad Garand.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Awwe, you didn't rain, some of the other parts seem to be from '44. I really couldn't find anything on the op rod though. I just talked to him, just now actually, he said it was bought through the CMP. He said it was above service grade, he just doesn't remember the grade specifically. Like you said though, or someone said, there is no bad Garand.

Ask him to send you the CMP certificate if he has it. That would be nice to have, especially if you ever want to sell it.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    congrats on your score!
    she looks great. you know this is just the start.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom