• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    So i watched a few FPS Russia videos tonight and one of them was this little gem.

So as the title reads, is it an SBR since it has a Slide Fire Stock or can it still be considered a pistol?

[YT]I6BFarrICWs&feature[/YT]

I have wondered this, too.

Reason being - the Slidefire stock does NOT attach to the firearm in question. This un-attachment is what makes it possible to bumpfire the gun. An attached stock wouldn't work, in fact.

One of the requirements for a SBR is that the stock be attached. But if the only thing holding the stock to the gun is your hands, then that's not attached.

A virgin or pistol lower, with a rifle buffer-tube in place could be construed as constructive possession of SBR, but having the SSAR stock on it would not technically be an SBR because the stock is not attached.

But "they" make up their own rules as they go along, so being right or wrong doesn't mean anything...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Reason being - the Slidefire stock does NOT attach to the firearm in question. This un-attachment is what makes it possible to bumpfire the gun. An attached stock wouldn't work, in fact.

One of the requirements for a SBR is that the stock be attached. But if the only thing holding the stock to the gun is your hands, then that's not attached.

A virgin or pistol lower, with a rifle buffer-tube in place could be construed as constructive possession of SBR, but having the SSAR stock on it would not technically be an SBR because the stock is not attached.

But "they" make up their own rules as they go along, so being right or wrong doesn't mean anything...

Interesting, and of course, lots of fun...

Yes, the ATF will likely want to take as grim of a view as they legally can of putting one in contact with an AR-15 pistol. However they might not be able to make the legal leap.

No doubt, that they are still figuring out how to come up with a slide fire ban to begin with.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    A slide fire stock is bound to the buffer tube. It can't come off, even though it does "float" for a couple of inches of movement. It also has a locking lever on the bottom that fixes it in place. I think by any definition, it is an attached stock.

-Jim

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Reason being - the Slidefire stock does NOT attach to the firearm in question. This un-attachment is what makes it possible to bumpfire the gun. An attached stock wouldn't work, in fact. One of the requirements for a SBR is that the stock be attached. But if the only thing holding the stock to the gun is your hands, then that's not attached.

Thats what i was trying to say, i just couldn't type it out so it would make sense :D

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Pretty darn sure that makes it an SBR. I would be shocked to learn the ATF would interpret it any other way. FPSRussia has enough stamps to begin with, I would imagine this is just one more.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Can you do this with a stock that is not "attached"?

Attachments

• IMG_0984.JPG
      IMG_0984.JPG
      78.6 KB · Views: 572

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Been a while since I read the wording of the law, but even if it weren't attached(which it is), I don't think that is their wording. I believe the wording is something like 'designed to be fired from the shoulder.' Trying this on an AR pistol not registered as a SBR is sure to be in violation, in the ATF's eyes.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    If you can shoulder the weapon and it has a barrel under 16", it's an SBR. A slidefire on a pistol makes it an SBR.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    It's called a Slidefire STOCK. Adding a stock to a pistol or pistol-length rifle is definitely an SBR.

However I would assume, considering he rents/borrows the majority of the guns on his vids, this is probably a dealer's gun that is correctly registered. I don't have time to look it up now, but he said in one of his videos how he gets most of his toys... he plugs the shop on his site or in the vid and they loan him cool stuff to try out. He still uses the term "my" for each gun, but they rarely are his... like the Bofors 40mikemike.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Can you do this with a stock that is not "attached"?

well yes, if it is hanging like shirt on clothes hanger. What defines "attached"? Is it the lack of movement between parts, or the inability to separate them by a minimum given distance?

If they are independently moving, are they really "attached"?

As far as the name "slide fire stock", what if I called it the slide fire shoulder protector... would that change the fact that it's not attached to the rifle. Don't get hung up on the name. I could stamp HBAR on a lightweight AR barrel, that doesn't make it an HBAR.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Been a while since I read the wording of the law, but even if it weren't attached(which it is), I don't think that is their wording. I believe the wording is something like 'designed to be fired from the shoulder.' Trying this on an AR pistol not registered as a SBR is sure to be in violation, in the ATF's eyes.

But is it really fired from the shoulder? All the slide fire does is allow the rest of the firearm to reciprocate. I would imagine sawing off the "buttstock" part would turn the slidefire into an acceptable version that could be used on a pistol.:party29:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    It's called a Slidefire STOCK. Adding a stock to a pistol or pistol-length rifle is definitely an SBR.

However I would assume, considering he rents/borrows the majority of the guns on his vids, this is probably a dealer's gun that is correctly registered. I don't have time to look it up now, but he said in one of his videos how he gets most of his toys... he plugs the shop on his site or in the vid and they loan him cool stuff to try out. He still uses the term "my" for each gun, but they rarely are his... like the Bofors 40mikemike.

That was before he made a crapload of money with his youtube video. He does buy some transferables now, like a m2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom