• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I've read a bunch of threads and interweb nonsense.

M4=super awesome shotty of doom, won't cycle birdshot, will cycle birdshot, sucks because you can't get an extension, doesn't suck because you can get an extension, M2 is better, M4 is better......on and on and on. The interweb is getting silly with misinformation.

What I want:
    I'd like to shoot just about any load through it.
    I'd like 7 shots even if it's an upgrade down the road.
    I'd like a pistol grip stock even if it's an upgrade down the road.
    I'd like 18.5" to 20" in barrel length.
    Threaded for choke tubes would be a plus.

Mossbergs are out. Even though I'm a big fan.....I want a pistol grip and the thumb safety sucks for this.

I've considered the M2. Little lighter. But seems the M4 does what the M2 does better.

Versa Max and Tac4 don't appear to have pistol grip stocks available.

Saiga12.....I'm just not sure about them.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    What's the appeal of the pistol grip stock?

Personally, I hate them, but if you've tried them and you like them, I won't judge. Whatever floats your boat. The reason I'm asking about the appeal of this type of stock is because...

The big issue with the M4 is that it is imported in "neutered" form with that stupid phony extended tube. When you add the "evil" extension, you're in 922r territory. That means that you've either got to lose the "evil" pistol grip stock to keep it in "sporting" configuaration, find enough US parts that it is considered a domestically built gun (very expensive for a Benelli), or register it as an NFA item (PITA). The one advantage of the NFA route is that you can do anything short of converting it to full auto to the full limit of your budget and the gunsmith's skills.

If I've made some mistakes here, forgive me and I welcome any corrections.

Also, what's your budget for this gun? The M4 is an expensive brute in stock configuration and it gets worse when you decide to start adding accessories and upgrades. If you've got $4,000 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd love to see either an M4 SBS or an M1014 conversion. If you don't, I'd advise you to find something else. The Benelli already costs over $1,600 in neutered form. Making it into a proper fighting shotgun with an extended tube and "sporting" stock to avoid 922r will likely run you around $2,000.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I just keep coming back to the M2 or 4 because of the options. Not looking to nfa anything. 2k is within budget. Can I not put a US made mag tube and follower on a pistol grip stock M4?

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I just keep coming back to the M2 or 4 because of the options. Not looking to nfa anything. 2k is within budget. Can I not put a US made mag tube and follower on a pistol grip stock M4?

You can, but you're going to have to replace other parts. Finding US made parts for a Benelli is going to be pricey and may be a pain. Here's a good, in-depth guide about 922r with links to the actual regs:

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

Again, if there's anyone in the house who can confirm this or correct me, go for it. This is my best understanding of the law as it stands.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I really like the pistol grip. If not for that, I'd probably wind up with another Mossberg.

That 922r stuff gets tricky.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    http://www.carriercomp.com/FAQ.html

Seems like their tube, follower, and hammer would reduce the number of import parts to 10 for about $250.

The standard fixed stock Benelli M4 model 11707 as imported contains 13 parts, which are governed by 922(r) provisions. Prior to performing any modifications, you must FIRST reduce that parts count to ten (10), after which the parts count may NOT exceed 10 import parts from that list, while simultaneously sporting any governed modifications;

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I've read a bunch of threads and interweb nonsense.

M4=super awesome shotty of doom, won't cycle birdshot, will cycle birdshot, sucks because you can't get an extension, doesn't suck because you can get an extension, M2 is better, M4 is better......on and on and on. The interweb is getting silly with misinformation.

What I want:
    I'd like to shoot just about any load through it.
    I'd like 7 shots even if it's an upgrade down the road.
    I'd like a pistol grip stock even if it's an upgrade down the road.
    I'd like 18.5" to 20" in barrel length.
    Threaded for choke tubes would be a plus.

Mossbergs are out. Even though I'm a big fan.....I want a pistol grip and the thumb safety sucks for this.

I've considered the M2. Little lighter. But seems the M4 does what the M2 does better.

Versa Max and Tac4 don't appear to have pistol grip stocks available.

Saiga12.....I'm just not sure about them.

You can get extentions for M4. I've been told go with M2 because they "perform the same" and is less expensive. Aftermarket support is not huge like Remington or Mossberg. If your looking at purchasing one, your going to pay top dollar for any aftermarket piece you want to add. It also prefers heavy loads.

Sounds like from your description, a Benelli Supernova Tactical would fit the bill. I have one and absolutely love it. I've put bird, OO buck and slugs threw it with no issues. It's built like a tank.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I'm not really looking for a pump though. I've also read mostly that the M4 will run lighter loads than the M2.

I was looking at the FN SLP as well now. Anyone seen one in stock so I can lay hands on it?

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    As I understand it the Benelli M1-M3 are inertia driven recoil operating shotguns which was sometimes had issues with lighter loads which is why the the M4 is gas operated and has less issues with lighter loads.

That said I've been to matches and seen Benelli M4 fail to cycle lighter loads. I've seen Remington and Mossberg fail to cycle lighter loads. If you shoot any shotgun enough it will eventually fail to cycle for one reason or another. If you're going to buy a semi you owe it to yourself to buy a few hundred rounds of a few different brands and see what works well with your gun. I've had good luck with Federal 100 round bulk packs form Walmart but some guys say their guns hate the stuff.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    On Benelli's website they show an M4 with an extended mag tube, as well as an SBS 14" M4. Are these not available in the US?

The Benelli M4 H20 seems to have everything you're looking for but, whew, do they cost a pretty penny.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Mark had one at 2a but the soldier in front of me bought it before I could. You might PM him to see if he has another one inbound. Iirc it was in the $1,350 range. Awesome shotgun if you like FN like I do.

Damn....I was just at 2A thursday.

I'm not really looking to spend 2500 plus on the h20 and don't really care about the collapsible stock. You can get the extended mag tube or sbs versions with nfa paperwork. I'm not really looking to do that for a shotgun.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Huh? So do the paperwork and buy a longer barrel?

For 250 I can have the parts needed to keep an extended mag tube version compliant without a several month wait.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Huh? So do the paperwork and buy a longer barrel?

For 250 I can have the parts needed to keep an extended mag tube version compliant without a several month wait.

Incomplete thought, my fault. NFA guns don't have to be 922r compliant. If it is only a difference of $50 though, it probably isn't worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom