• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Just ordered from OpticsPlanet and they have a 10% off coupon on the homepage.

My Strike Eagle will be $296 delivered to my door.

LaRue mount is in the mail as well. :D

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Slickguns says Sportsman's club has them for 267.29 with coupon code sh1017, but it's backordered. Haven't added to cart to see if it works. Just sold mine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just ran my Strike Eagle in a 3 day carbine class (write up in the training section).

LOVED it.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    I got one barely used for $280. I had one on order from OP but it was backordered for a long time. It's OK for the price. Glass is decent at best. Glass has a brownish hue too. Not a big fan of the reticle. I think they need to bring up the vertical line on the main crosshair. Elevation and windage knobs feels mushy. Can barely feel the clicks.

Taking the Strike Eagle to a 3 gun match on Sat. We'll see how it does.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you don't feel clicks, call Vortex. They will make it right.

Mine had very definite clicks.

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    So with this type of scope is there no reticle at all when battery power is off?

There is still a reticle when illumination is off. Oh, it also comes with an extra battery which fits in the cap of the windage knob which is a nice little feature.

If you don't feel clicks, call Vortex. They will make it right.

Mine had very definite clicks.

Just tried it again. The windage knob felt tighter with nicer clicks. The elevation knob on the other hand is mushy but has noticeable clicks. Might send it in after after the match. Might as well use the lifetime transferable warranty since it has it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think they need to bring up the vertical line on the main crosshair.

What do you mean? Close in, I center the circle.

Only used the "crosshairs" for the BDC at longer ranges.

Attachments

• ret_strike-eagle_ar-bdc_moa-t.jpg
      ret_strike-eagle_ar-bdc_moa-t.jpg
      5.5 KB · Views: 1,082

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Law enforcement/military (including retired, reservists, guard, etc.) should contact Vortex directly as they have a substantial discount program on everything they make. :)

For anyone who doesn't qualify, however, under 300 is a fantastic deal and should be jumped on ASAP.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    On the main hash mark i wish the vertical line of the crosshair came up more to make it easier to see and center when zoomed in.

I see.

Fired about 1200 rounds with mine over 3 days in the carbine course. It did not bother me. Even zoomed a bit at 100 yards.

But that is why they make different products. :)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    What do you mean? Close in, I center the circle.

Only used the "crosshairs" for the BDC at longer ranges.

Centering the circle is not quite accurate at CQB. If you zero the BDC at 100y like you are supposed to then a 30 yard shot at close range should be shot off the 300y mark on the ladder. This is one reason why a lot of Tac Optics guys run offset iron sights for close in work 50 yards and under. I used to have my offset irons zeroed at 25 yards, however I eventually took them off in favor of using the MTAC reticle in my Burris tactical scope because with the scope at 1x I could shoot it both eyes open like a red dot, using the BDC dots as markers based on the distance inside 100 yards.
    First time I shot the 3man/3gun at York they surprised us with clays at 15 yards with the AR. Tried the circle and hit only 1 so dumped the rifle and switched to the pistol to clean the clays. Went to the range that week after and dialed in all the BDC dots so I could use them for short range shots.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Law enforcement/military (including retired, reservists, guard, etc.) should contact Vortex directly as they have a substantial discount program on everything they make. :)

For anyone who doesn't qualify, however, under 300 is a fantastic deal and should be jumped on ASAP.

A friend mentioned the Vortex deal would save him $10 over this deal after shipping. So it sounds like a good price. I'm not to keen on the reticle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Centering the circle is not quite accurate at CQB. If you zero the BDC at 100y like you are supposed to then a 30 yard shot at close range should be shot off the 300y mark on the ladder. This is one reason why a lot of Tac Optics guys run offset iron sights for close in work 50 yards and under. I used to have my offset irons zeroed at 25 yards, however I eventually took them off in favor of using the MTAC reticle in my Burris tactical scope because with the scope at 1x I could shoot it both eyes open like a red dot, using the BDC dots as markers based on the distance inside 100 yards.
    First time I shot the 3man/3gun at York they surprised us with clays at 15 yards with the AR. Tried the circle and hit only 1 so dumped the rifle and switched to the pistol to clean the clays. Went to the range that week after and dialed in all the BDC dots so I could use them for short range shots.

With a 25 yard zero, I found at 7 yards (we checked) the bottom of where the circle would be was about right.

Instructor was running an EOTech, and bottom of the circle was fine for 7 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom