• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    after a long hard day in the shop its finally complete!

this is my very first giraffe bone pen. normally i turn pens from wood. but when i got an offer for giraffe bone i couldn't resist. this is the closest material to ivory and is itself rare. it finishes beautifully,minus a small natural vein that only enhances character.

Attachments

• pens 009.jpg
      pens 009.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 499

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I didn't know that was rare....I have a friend that works at the zoo. They buried the last giraffe on site.......

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Do you sell these and if so what type of refills do you use? My father has a thing for nice pens as well as firearms and knives . I need a fathers day gift for him something like this would be great .

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    thanks for the responses. i do sell these pens (roller ball, ballpoint, fountain pens. twist pens, or pens with caps, ect.), but unfortunatly i dont know if im allowed to on this site do to my lack of posts; what can i say, im a quiet guy:rolleyes:. as i said most of my work is done in wood; maple, cherry, walnut, cherry burl, lace wood, purple heart, jatoba, olive wood, and whatever else is laying around. prices generaly range from $35-$100, although i still havnt priced the giraffe leg. these prices are actualy very cheap considering these are done by hand. and if you find an affordable piece of bin ladens pelvis, pm me i'l make you a pen;)

and no the kimber is not for sale:lol2:

heres a few more pictures to drool over. the first is a sample of different woods and styles. the second, a few examples of purple heart, the third, well, just to show off my raptor:D

Attachments

• Picture 143.jpg
      Picture 143.jpg
      104.3 KB · Views: 418
    • Picture 147.jpg
      Picture 147.jpg
      106.9 KB · Views: 411
    • Picture 074.jpg
      Picture 074.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 417

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Very nice!

I do enjoy a good pen, so I was very happy when a year or so back my wife presented me with one made by a local artist from a 30-06 casing and a piece of Wye oak. Sorry, no photo... it's on my desk at work.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    thats very impressive! Would it be possible to turn other bones (different animal) to pens maybe black bear? Those are definitely beautiful pens!

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I really like that last picture with the pen, coins, journal (ledger?), 1911, ammo, pocketwatch, old money, and cigs. Makes me think of a real badass Indiana Jones type of explorer. Actually the only thing that looks out of place is the stainless Kimber. Maybe if you switched it out for an old GI model it might fit in better. Still an awesome photo.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    thats very impressive! Would it be possible to turn other bones (different animal) to pens maybe black bear? Those are definitely beautiful pens!

although im sure it would be possible i wouldnt know where to get it. its size would also restrict it to only the smallest style pens. also a bonus is that all these pens are environmentally friendly. woods are either locally and sustainably harvested or saved from the fire bin (all my exotics). the giraffe has actualy been in some ones garage for ten years! if only i could figure out how to make a nice pair o f matching grips:)

these could have been fire wood (pair of lacewood pens in Bethlehem olive wood box)

Attachments

• Picture 125.jpg
      Picture 125.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 357
    • Picture 127.jpg
      Picture 127.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 365

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members