• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    i just bought a gun from h&m and shot a box of ammo there when i picked it up. i havent had any issues with them but have seen alot of hate for them on the forums and was wondering what they did that is so bad, that way i can make a decision on going back to them or not

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    First, if they treat you well, great. Enjoy the shop and range. I have never been there, because they are a bit too far to drive for me.

The biggest issue that many here had was the shop's ammo policy when they opened. Also, the fact that they charged a higher rate if you brought your own ammo.

BTW, check out the Industry Partner section for a new range in White Marsh called Freestate.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Their original bullshitt ammo policy has reactively changed to try and keep business with new competiton.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    mikec pretty well nailed it. I thought they were nice people, but the prices and ammo policy were insane.

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    I know a lot of people on this forum spend a lot of time bitching about them, but I've never had a problem (other than the wait one Saturday evening). The TMJ thing was a little crazy, but the price difference didn't mean much to me. I wouldn't buy their ammo (the price the were asking for 10mm target ammo was astronomical), but then again I don't buy ammo at any range very often.

I will say that prior to FreeState opening up, the staff at H&M were the friendliest I'd ever encountered at a range. (I'd say FreeState ties that).

I actually prefer H&M over FreeState because they offer a better price structure, but the gas I burn getting up there means it's cheaper for me to spend the extra half-hour in ammo at FreeState.

Anywho, I guess I'm just as confused as you are about why H&M gets so much crap on here.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    i just bought a gun from h&m and shot a box of ammo there when i picked it up. i havent had any issues with them but have seen alot of hate for them on the forums and was wondering what they did that is so bad, that way i can make a decision on going back to them or not

i can appreciate your asking this question. if you have been there and had a good experience, then you really dont have a reason not to return. everyone here has an opinion, including YOU. the opinions offered here should be a "guide" of sorts, but you ulitmately need to find out for your self. i say take the chance, have the experience, and form your own opinion.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I've been shooting at H&M for 3 years now, and I've never had a serious issue with them. The ammunition policy was ridiculous, but that isn't an issue anymore. They have always been very friendly to me. Recently, they were nice enough to notarize my Regulated Firearm Collector Application for free. I haven't made a purchase there, so I can't comment on a transfer.

MPS111

Claybirder
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bel Air
    I have shot and bought from H and M since they opened. I have not had any negative experiences there whatsoever.
    Their ammo policy was my least favorite feature. Since they no longer enjoy a captive market they have had to adapt.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    I have never had a problem with em, I even took a girl there for Valentines Day this year, we had a great time.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I've only been there once since they've been H&M. (I forget what they were called before H&M).

It was a good experience and I'd go back. As others said, their ammo prices/policy was expensive, but that's since changed. They were friendly and professional and I had a good time.

I live pretty far away, but have relatives in the area. I haven't done a price comparison, but when visiting I wouldn't hesitate to go to either H&M or Freestate.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Ammo policy and prices where the issue.
    They are nice but they charged way too much for ammo.
    The reason for the ammo policy was health driven but now since freestate opened what he is indirectly telling us is screw the health issue I have to eat. And they allow any type of ammo now.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    H&M

It's called hypocrisy. Their previous ammo policy was supposed to be for the protection of both the employees and the customers. The limitations on the type of ammo one could shoot was to keep the lead levels down. So, all of the sudden Freestate opens and guess what? Sucking lead is ok now! And all that time before they charged higher rates per hour if you brought your own ammo and if you didn't bring any in, they would sell you overpriced crappy reloads. Screw them.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have enjoyed shooting at H&M for several years. Never had a negative experience and have taken many new shooters to the range.

If there is one thing I have learned, you can find any sort of complaint you want online about anything.

TD

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!

If you're happy, there's no reason not to go there. Yes: the ammunition policy was mighty gay, but that's a non-issue now. I'm open minded, so I'll be giving Freestate a try soon. As bad as Bel Air traffic has gotten, it would probably be faster for me to drive from Abingdon to Freestate in Whitemarsh.

Tim460

May 22, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    I wasn't happy with their old ammo policy but never had any problems there. That being said Freestate is much closer for me and I'm now a member there.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    It does seem that the competition has improved their policies for the better

Do you mean to say that the free market worked and we didn't need the government to step in and regulate to improve consumer issues? My uncle Barry says that isn't how it works. :innocent0

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    don't know if they've completely changed most of their staff, or if I just go at the wrong times, but the last couple of times the guys who had seen me there for years and knew me by name haven't been there, and I've had to fill out that stupid form every time. They also aren't as friendly as the regulars were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom