Question for the Revolver guys and gals.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I am looking to add a .357 revolver to my collection. I am pretty set on a Ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 in stainless with a 6" barrel. There has been a couple Rugers in the classified with 4" barrels, one blue and 1 stainless. Does the difference between 4" and 6" make much difference in shooting these?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yes and no. If you were shooting HD loads you could notice but carrying a 6 inch.....I wouldn't recommend.

In target loads they both will be very controlable and enjoyable. I have plenty of revolvers and my favorite is my 686 its accurate, shoots like a dream, and I'm partial to smiths. With all that said if I didn't just buy a G33 I'd buy that GP100 for sure its a beautiful gun and a decent price.........I'd haggle a little on it though because if your buying 357 target loads your wasting money 38 is cheaper.

You can get them for around 650 and while the grips look beautiful accessories hold zero value....they are just a throw in.

I keep looking at the add so please buy it........it looks like he took great care of that gun!

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Not really. The longer barrel provides a longer sight radius, theoretically better for target shooting. There's not much difference in weight, mostly, but I think a 4-inch barrel would be handier for carrying. I have found little difference between 4-inch and a 6-inch barrel revolvers. My 2 cents.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    The 4" will point and balance better. Of all of my revolvers, I have more with a 4" barrel.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If you get a .357 with a 6" barrel, you can legal legally hunt deer with it in Maryland. I have a Ruger Security-Six with the adjustable sights.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I am a Smith fan. If personal defense/CC is a consideration, read no further.

I have a Smith Mod 63 .22 with a 4" barrel. It would be described in a gun magazine as a handy "camp gun" Absolutely true, but I don't go anywhere where could pack a camp gun.

At the range I wish it was a 6". If I were going to hunt squirrel I would also want a 6".

I also have a Mod 25 in 45 LC with a 8 3/8" barrel. One of my sons shot it at a very young age and he could handle it. He called it "the nifty gun with the long nozzle." :).
    It has killed one wounded whitetail to its credit, but it is like a Buntline to carry around. I wish it had a 6" barrel as well. It does not go to the range as much as it should.

All this is my way of saying what are you gonna do with it?

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    If you get a .357 with a 6" barrel, you can legal legally hunt deer with it in Maryland. I have a Ruger Security-Six with the adjustable sights.

I think that is almost true..at least to my last reading.....I think if you reload, you "could" generate enuf "power".......357 Mag falls short of the required energy. 44 Mag, different story. But that's for others to check.......
    I had a Ruger GP-100, great gun, but with regular commercial ammo it fell short of DNR requirement, I believe.

As for 4" or 6", as mentioned above, Target type shooting, go 6", for Defensive stuff like IDPA, etc, go 4"........I use to have a S&W 686 (?I think?) many moons ago. Fun to shoot.

GP-100, very heavy piece....

Good Luck.
    R

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    DNR issued a letter that the .357, with a 6" barrel is a legal for hunting deer in Maryland, because there was at least one commercial load that meet the foot pounds requirements. I think I still have a copy of the letter in my gun records.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes and no. If you were shooting HD loads you could notice but carrying a 6 inch.....I wouldn't recommend.

In target loads they both will be very controlable and enjoyable. I have plenty of revolvers and my favorite is my 686 its accurate, shoots like a dream, and I'm partial to smiths. With all that said if I didn't just buy a G33 I'd buy that GP100 for sure its a beautiful gun and a decent price.........I'd haggle a little on it though because if your buying 357 target loads your wasting money 38 is cheaper.

You can get them for around 650 and while the grips look beautiful accessories hold zero value....they are just a throw in.

I keep looking at the add so please buy it........it looks like he took great care of that gun!

I'm not a revolver guy, but I would take this as almost thread gospel.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    OP, I'm primarily still a revolver guy and I'm seeing lots of very good points here. But if your goal is to buy the optimal .357 for you, rent several examples of the breed that you're considering. It is time and money well spent. And there's no substitute and no better way to decide what you like best than to sample what's available. Good luck with your search as there are a LOT of excellent 357's out there. Half the fun is running as many as you can get your hands on.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    DNR issued a letter that the .357, with a 6" barrel is a legal for hunting deer in Maryland, because there was at least one commercial load that meet the foot pounds requirements. I think I still have a copy of the letter in my gun records.

Buffalo Bore and Underwood both sell 357 that will generate over 700 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle (the MD minimum for handgun hunting deer). Didn't know there was an actual DNR letter commenting on the topic; will have to seek it out.

OP, between a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a 6.5-inch barrel and a S&W 686 with a 3-inch barrel at home, I prefer the 686's trigger and easier handling as a smaller overall package to get on a closer range target.

If mostly shooting 38 special, consider looking for a S&W Model 19 (blued) or 66 (stainless) with a 4-inch barrel. The proportions on these guns are great; they're fast handling, have great triggers, and are plenty accurate. They can also chamber 357.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I love my 686 with a 4" barrel. I do not use it as a normal carry. For that I have compact 9s and a couple of Chief Specials. I'm in the process of having night sights put on the 686. It was a hassle to get them.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ... I have more with a 4" barrel.

I have a few revolvers and they are all 4" or less.

I have a few revolvers and they are all 6+" ;) Thinking about it the average is actually >8". The 6" GP100 is the baby of the family. 100% of what I do is target shoot w/ them as I've never shot anyone (and hope to keep that streak alive!) Even carrying a 4" GP100 is crazy. Its a tank!:) Longer barrels will have longer sight radius, more steady sight picture (less wobble), and less felt recoil. The mass out on the end really helps the latter two. A 2" snubby points faster but my paper targets and watermelons don't move fast enough for me to worry about that. Though I must admit I've thought about getting a 2" - the fireballs are epic:D

Buy what feels good to you and the one you 'want'. It'll be the one you want to shoot and keep, length be damned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom