• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wombat Rancher

Aug 21, 2013
    Anyone have one? I am currently looking at one for my next purchase, any opinions? Thanks in advance.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Mine is from about 2008. You'll want to have someone swap out your trigger and hammer spring, but that's pretty inexpensive. It is a PHENOMENAL little .357 for up close work.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I always get a kick out of a certain youtuber who review wheelguns like the sp101 and hints about the advantages of not throwing brass on the ground...

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I have the 3 1/16" and it's one of my favorites for home defense. I put a hogue grip on it. It is built like a tank and shoots everything with ease except the heavier grain magnums which are a little snappy. It's a nice looking, simple gun and is easy to clean. I reload so I like the fact that I don't have to pick up my brass.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have the 3 1/16" and it's one of my favorites for home defense. I put a hogue grip on it. It is built like a tank and shoots everything with ease except the heavier grain magnums which are a little snappy. It's a nice looking, simple gun and is easy to clean. I reload so I like the fact that I don't have to pick up my brass.

Definitely put a Hogue grip on if you get one. The gun is beautifully built and feels very balanced. But it has a relatively small frame for .357 mag and the Hogue grip fills my hand much better than the stock, making it much more comfortable to shoot.

Downside to the Hogue grip is that a speedloader doesn't work...the Hogue grip sticks out just a little bit too far.

BTW, .38 sp rounds were on sale @ Dick's the other day.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It's one of the best compact revolvers you can buy, especially for CCW. A basic action job by a good gunsmith will make it superb.

Dec 31, 2012
    4.2" Sp101 with Hogue grips. I can use an HKS(36a) speedloader with no real problems. The rounds just have to drop the last 1/4 of an inch but that's no issue.
    This length is not ideal for carry but it's a great home defense and range gun.

edit:
    rounds drop 1/4" from speed loader using 357, no issues with 38

Last edited:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Can't go wrong. I liked the first one so much I bought one for a family member's self-defense needs as Christmas present. It's a compact, rugged, beautifully machined, and in .357 you have the option of .38 or .357. I tend to keep it loaded with .38 +p.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I have one, .357 (5 shot) in stainless steel with the 2.25" barrel and bobbed hammer. It's the ideal nightstand hardware for me. I prefer .38 Spl +P for self defense due to lower muzzle flash and reduced recoil.

Don't replace the mainspring! :crazy: You want hard, positive primer strikes to maintain reliability of your ammo. Consider too that adrenaline will negate any "additional" factory trigger weight. The only time it's a good idea to reduce mainspring weight is for shooters that have hand issues like arthritis, etc., to make practice less painful/destructive.

However, some trigger work (no new parts necessary...just polishing) will go a long way to reducing pull weight.

Don't forget to polish the trigger return spring plunger and the journal it rides in. I use 2000-grit paper on a small dowel chucked in a hand drill for that operation. Apply a drop of mineral spirits (or your favorite CLP) to the paper to improve the quality of the polishing.

If you're going to CC the pistol, adding the Hogue grip extends the length of the grip. Depending on how you carry, this may be a factor for you. But for home defense, the little dinky 2-finger factory grip may be negative points, especially if you have large hands. Then the Hogue grip may be the best choice for you.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I have one in .327 Fed Magnum (also takes 32 H&R, 32 S&W Long, and 32 S&W).
    It is a pleasure to shoot, and I like the 6th round capability..
    My only gripe is about the ammo which is difficult to find. I am a reloader so I am never without, but I have to plan ahead.
    I like this round, but I am afraid that it may be headed to extinction.
    DocAitch

Mr H

Banana'd
    I've yet to shoot one, but in handling a couple they seem very well-balanced.

If they shoot anything like the GP-100s, you'll be very pleased.

I had toyed with getting the SP in .22LR, but until all the HQL boochee is sorted out, I'm waiting.

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    For me mine is as accurate out to 15 yards as my GP-100 or my Security Six.
    I have the Hogue grips but I use speed strips for reloading all of my SA/DA revolvers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom