Larry Hogan "supports" the second amendment...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Some of you just don't seem to get it, and I don't know what it will take for you to understand what's going on. You have to think outside the box, and I don't know if it's BGOS or what, but in the few years I've been following this forum, it's clear that the attitude among many hasn't changed much at all.

The fact remains that politicians only care about getting elected. That's it. Nothing else matters. And a lot of you will support Republicans who will hide their views to get elected, and argue that doing so is a good thing because the only way you're going to win is if you act like a liberal or don't show your hand.

But the fact remains, even winning elections doesn't mean a damn thing as far as pushing through a more conservative agenda. In fact, it doesn't mean much of anything at all as long as you aren't pushing a liberal agenda. Look no further than Ehrlich's inability to get slot machines. The liberals agreed with slots in principle, they just refused to give the victory to a Republican, and they waited for MOM so they could say "look what we did!" If they're not going to vote for gun rights while a Democrat is in office, why would you expect them to vote for gun rights when a Republican holds the governorship? They're not.

The only way we're ever going to restore our liberties is to flush out the current government and replace them with many, many liberty-loving people. But how is that going to happen when those people are too afraid to stand up for liberty in their own campaigns? They can't think too highly of it...

At best we can expect a governor who won't push through more anti-gun BS, and who may make a few minor changes administratively, but won't do a thing beyond that. And what's really pathetic is that so many here will call that a "victory" for our side because we're accustomed to living in a liberal state, and any time we can slow down the train to tyranny, that's considered a win, even though nothing will ever happen legislatively that puts the train in reverse. Our hopes hinge on judicial proceedings and nothing more.

The ONLY solution to the problem is the one I hear the least about, and that's education. The only way we're ever going to have success is when it doesn't pay to be liberal anymore. And I feel one of the best opportunities to educate people is through the election cycle, which is one of the only times the public will listen to any form of debate. Yet all I hear is the same old nonsense from these guys who are too afraid to articulate what they even stand for. It's amateur hour once again in Maryland politics.

You are spot on. We can gain a little ground (shall issue - at least while the Republican is in office) is possible, but may be quite temporary. The only way to really make a difference is to change the make-up of the general assembly to a conservative majority.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    You are spot on. We can gain a little ground (shall issue - at least while the Republican is in office) is possible, but may be quite temporary. The only way to really make a difference is to change the make-up of the general assembly to a conservative majority.

The problem is that even if we could get a conservative majority due to disgust with MOM, if the new legislators push through anything conservative that the low-info people disagree with, they'll just get booted from office the next election cycle. That's why education is important. Changing the minds of the voters means the people in office reflect the values and ideals of the citizenry. That's a lot better than a temporary coup which won't help much at all in the long run.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I'm tired of politicians being politicians. Have some balls and speak the truth! None of these bozos will get my vote if they think they have to play the political games. We don't need any more people who are running because they want to hold the office. We need people who run because they feel they can help their city/state/country, and will be as honest as possible. Anybody who hides information or changes views solely to get elected cares more about the job prospect than the constituency, and that is the root of our problem. They do what they have to do in order to get elected/re-elected, and they sell us out in the process.

This is why I'm not sold on Hogan. But then again, "most" all politicians are in it for their own gain and glory. Some say he's smart for not showing all his cards..... That makes me feel like there's a snake in the grass.

I've met and spoke with all four candidates. Out of the four Lollar seemed to be the one that gave a shit the most.

Western Maryland will always vote conservative. It's the middle of the state with all the liberals and their liberal beliefs that votes the dumbass ticket and I can't control that. My fate is controlled by the urbanites. :tdown:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    With regards to Larry Hogan, he is the only candidate to request a meeting with MSI, AGC, MSRPA and the MLFDA. He met with AGC and MSI this past Monday to get our input, He has a meeting (tomorrow I think) with the MLFDA to get their input.

To date, neither Craig or Lollar have asked for such a meeting or asked for input, to me at least, that speaks volumes about the other two. Yes, they have a plan, but it appears to be their plan with no input from the folks that will still be here long after they are gone.

Make no mistake, Hogan is crafting his message for the widest audience possible and that is the state economy, businesses, taxes, and jobs. Give them a little time to finish crafting their 2A message, but don't expect it to be out front, it is only a small part of the big picture.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    With regards to Larry Hogan, he is the only candidate to request a meeting with MSI, AGC, MSRPA and the MLFDA. He met with AGC and MSI this past Monday to get our input, He has a meeting (tomorrow I think) with the MLFDA to get their input.

To date, neither Craig or Lollar have asked for such a meeting or asked for input, to me at least, that speaks volumes about the other two. Yes, they have a plan, but it appears to be their plan with no input from the folks that will still be here long after they are gone.

Make no mistake, Hogan is crafting his message for the widest audience possible and that is the state economy, businesses, taxes, and jobs. Give them a little time to finish crafting their 2A message, but don't expect it to be out front, it is only a small part of the big picture.

Good to know, thanks!

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    I just called his office. A gentleman named Paul answered.

I asked how Mr. Hogan plans to protect and restore Marylander's 2A rights. He put me on hold for 1 minute and told me he (Paul) cannot answer beyond what is on their website and facebook page. He had me leave a voicemail on the campaign manager's phone. If I get a call back, I will report the results.

Well, the fact that his people are banning people on his "change maryland" facebook page points in the opposite direction for me. The fact that I called their offices and spoke to someone there that simply said, "he's a supporter" and nothing more would make sense. But to tell someone to call your offices for further information only to receive the same exact response was a waste of my time and it was extremely disappointing. Top that with a ban for asking on their facebook page has cost him my vote.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    In retrospect it's easy to make the claim we got cheated, but no one can see the future, and the fact that Ehrlich got elected in the first place was practically a miracle, and he knew that no matter what, it was going to be an uphill climb to a second term. As it was, he lost. Had he been pro-gun the whole time, it would have absolutely guaranteed losing his bid for reelection. Again, it's easy to armchair quarterback it in retrospect, but something altogether different when the future still looms ahead.

IF we can put another Republican in the Governors mansion in Annapolis, do we want to relegate that person to a single term on purpose?

If we get a a pro gun (r) governor who does nothing to support us, what does it matter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Craig attended the annual meeting of MSI.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well, the fact that his people are banning people on his "change maryland" facebook page points in the opposite direction for me. The fact that I called their offices and spoke to someone there that simply said, "he's a supporter" and nothing more would make sense. But to tell someone to call your offices for further information only to receive the same exact response was a waste of my time and it was extremely disappointing. Top that with a ban for asking on their facebook page has cost him my vote.

Call the office back and ask to leave a message for his campaign chairman, Steve Crim or ask for Steve and discuss with him. I have made him aware of this thread and he will check his voice mails and e-mails and respond back.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Craig attended the annual meeting of MSI.

Yes, he did, but not as a politician, but as Mr. Craig. He did not ask for any input from MSI or its members. There is a big difference in showing up at a public meeting to stump and not ask for input vs asking specifically for a meeting with the stake holders of the state with regards to 2A to get their specific input.

As I said, Craig a Lollar have not, to this date asked for a sit-down or input from the 2A community, they assume they know what we want. Hogan asked for a meeting and asked for specific input with regards to 2A in MD. BIG difference in my opinion.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Ehrlich was going to be our buddy in his second term. We waited for four years because it was smart, and still got nothing. In the unlikely scenario that a Republican becomes governor, I don't want to hear about him needing to lie low for 2018. Let's do the right thing now.

Actually he DID do something, he said if the "Assault Rifle" bill came across his desk (the one Leah Barrett, or whatever her real name is, pushed for BIG TIME in 2004 to replace the Federal ban that was going to sunset later that year), he wouldn't sign it into law. He actually wanted that state bill to disappear. Apparently a lot of you forgot about that.

In retrospect it's easy to make the claim we got cheated, but no one can see the future, and the fact that Ehrlich got elected in the first place was practically a miracle, and he knew that no matter what, it was going to be an uphill climb to a second term. As it was, he lost. Had he been pro-gun the whole time, it would have absolutely guaranteed losing his bid for reelection. Again, it's easy to armchair quarterback it in retrospect, but something altogether different when the future still looms ahead.

IF we can put another Republican in the Governors mansion in Annapolis, do we want to relegate that person to a single term on purpose?

It's gotta' be played to try not piss off, and hopefully appease both sides of the isle. If chances of second term look REAL good, wait for then to come out with your true colors. If chances look dismal for second term as it approaches, cut loose with true colors in latter first and only term.

Ehrlich lied to the 2A community. He said (his words) we would "have a seat at the table". John Josselyn's description of post-election events in a nutshell is: "We couldn't find the building containing the hallway that led to the table where that chair was". People are right to be concerned about what candidates promise. With all 3 candidates, Lollar, Hogan, Craig, I believe they are 2A friendly. I think other factors should decide who you vote for. Also, as already mentioned, there is only so much a governor can do. We should not expect SB281 to be overturned etc.

See my previous posts ^^^ above. Hope this helps. I don't know anything about the "we would have a seat at the table" thing; not to say he didn't say that.

Aaahhh, Dan, as of less than 1/2 hour ago, Larry Hogan hasn't requested a meeting with the MLFDA as I called a VP just several minutes ago to see if there was going to be a meeting scheduled with Hogan soon. Where did you get that information???

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Yes, he did, but not as a politician, but as Mr. Craig. He did not ask for any input from MSI or its members. There is a big difference in showing up at a public meeting to stump and not ask for input vs asking specifically for a meeting with the stake holders of the state with regards to 2A to get their specific input.

As I said, Craig a Lollar have not, to this date asked for a sit-down or input from the 2A community, they assume they know what we want. Hogan asked for a meeting and asked for specific input with regards to 2A in MD. BIG difference in my opinion.

I disagree. A politician is a politician weather he asked for a meeting or just strolled in stumping. A requested meeting may be a more formal atmosphere where only the upper echelon of an organization has the opportunity to interact with the candidate but a walk in allows anyone to approach them. I like the approachable type. As for Lollar, good luck in getting an answer anywhere near to what most of us are looking for on the 2A front. He has dodged this question on a couple of other occasions already.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Actually he DID do something, he said if the "Assault Rifle" bill came across his desk (the one Leah Barrett, or whatever her real name is, pushed for BIG TIME in 2004 to replace the Federal ban that was going to sunset later that year), he wouldn't sign it into law. He actually wanted that state bill to disappear. Apparently a lot of you forgot about that.

See my previous posts ^^^ above. Hope this helps. I don't know anything about the "we would have a seat at the table" thing; not to say he didn't

John Josselyn shared his experience with Ehrlich with me yesterday. I have no doubt that he was pro-2A to a large degree, it just sounds like he didn't want to be associated with those involved once he was elected. You may have a different perspective. I wasn't involved, so can't say I heard it with my own ears. I certainly trust John.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

If he met with AGC & MSI then when are we going to hear the outcome of the meeting? Or are the members just little people who really don't need to know all the facts. I just checked MSI's web site and there isn't anything there.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Ehrlich was going to be our buddy in his second term. We waited for four years because it was smart, and still got nothing. In the unlikely scenario that a Republican becomes governor, I don't want to hear about him needing to lie low for 2018. Let's do the right thing now.

:thumbsup:

A savvy politician can state a case in support of a civil right; i.e., self protection, without coming across as a one issue person.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Since this is a 2A forum, yes. The future is now.

There is nothing anathema about self protection. All a candidate has to do is state categorically that s/he believes in it. No great fanfare needed. A simple declaration upon taking office that self-protection is now a G&S reason will suffice.

Then, hit all the other positives associated with conservatism. People may be ready for the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom