• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Howard county had FN, Glock, and the M&P tested when they were looking for replacements for their Sigs. The M&P broke during the testing. They chose the Glock. Their Sigs were having too many issues,
    So they switched.
    For the record I have an M&P and never had any kind of failure. Rock solid.

I have heard/read many such statements from M&P owners. They claim no issues with their particular pistol.

What most do not realize is the stress put a upon a pistol in training a new Officer or a retraining an established Officer on a new firearm.

The drills are grueling and the average pistol will never see anything even close to it in the private sector. So the comments really are comparing apples to ox carts.

The Texas PS tried to use the M&P pistols and found that they were not holding up under the regimen that training require of them. They determined that a certain level of failures in training would cause them to expect that same level of failure on the street. It was then decided that the number of failures warranted dropping the M&Ps from their program. That does not mean that all M&P owners in the private sector should run right out and trade in their pistols. Your personal M&P pistol will in all likelihood, never see even a portion of the stress of their pistols. Use it in good health.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Funny thing is most consumers love their S&W m&p but law enforcement seem to have issues. I wanted to point out that S&W sells a different version of the consumer to law enforcement. They have slight tweaks. They are built to higher tolerances for reliability but it mean you have to clean and properly treat your pistol more.

Think AK47 vs m16 when you shove it in sand with a locked bolt.

Go to the S&W Forum and you'll find the only difference between the "Civilian" and LE/MIL is LE pricing, NS and 3 Mags. Same for most other Blue Label guns at other mfgers.

No 2 production lines, tighter tolerances or tweaks unless you order extra options or get some work done in the S&W Custom shop.

Plus, AK to AR is comparing apples to oranges and that discussion can fill threads and forums on its' merit.

Now, 10 microns is a pretty tight standard for battle rattle considering how many times these pistols were probably field stripped, cleaned, fondled, finger focked, re-assembled, re-assembled again if done incorrectly, dry fired, inspected, holtered, draw practiced, dropped, picked up, more finger focking, more disassembly, fam fire, initial qualification fire, more cleaning, more fondled and of course, in ranks inspection of arms in addition to all the other live and simulated fire training for advance training. Plus due to all the inspections, the pistols were probably run very, very dry because that's what boots, noobs, rookies and nuggets tend to do because that gets driven into their skulls by their instructors sometimes with too many arms inspections.

Theses pistols got a lot of extra abuse but probably no more than the Sigs have received in prior classes.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Go to the S&W Forum and you'll find the only difference between the "Civilian" and LE/MIL is LE pricing, NS and 3 Mags. Same for most other Blue Label guns at other mfgers.

No 2 production lines, tighter tolerances or tweaks unless you order extra options or get some work done in the S&W Custom shop.

Plus, AK to AR is comparing apples to oranges and that discussion can fill threads and forums on its' merit.

Now, 10 microns is a pretty tight standard for battle rattle considering how many times these pistols were probably field stripped, cleaned, fondled, finger focked, re-assembled, re-assembled again if done incorrectly, dry fired, inspected, holtered, draw practiced, dropped, picked up, more finger focking, more disassembly, fam fire, initial qualification fire, more cleaning, more fondled and of course, in ranks inspection of arms in addition to all the other live and simulated fire training for advance training. Plus due to all the inspections, the pistols were probably run very, very dry because that's what boots, noobs, rookies and nuggets tend to do because that gets driven into their skulls by their instructors sometimes with too many arms inspections.

Theses pistols got a lot of extra abuse but probably no more than the Sigs have received in prior classes.

The Glock Blue Labels actually are different than their public offerings. The trigger springs are not the same. (Type and weight of pull differs.) And in some states, the magazines are full capacity instead of the limited ones that are forced onto the public by the nanny politicians.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The Glock Blue Labels actually are different than their public offerings. The trigger springs are not the same. (Type and weight of pull differs.) And in some states, the magazines are full capacity instead of the limited ones that are forced onto the public by the nanny politicians.

That's because of the New York triggers thanks to the NYPD and their prestigious marksmanship program.

And in the Clinton AWB days, Glock HC mags that got marked LE Only and I knew a few guys had to provide dept letterhead to get them.

But trigger and mags are options, there's no quality difference between a store bought and a dept issued Glock.

All Blue Labels don't get hit with the excise tax which helps with their good discount.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have heard/read many such statements from M&P owners. They claim no issues with their particular pistol.

What most do not realize is the stress put a upon a pistol in training a new Officer or a retraining an established Officer on a new firearm.

The drills are grueling and the average pistol will never see anything even close to it in the private sector. So the comments really are comparing apples to ox carts.

The Texas PS tried to use the M&P pistols and found that they were not holding up under the regimen that training require of them. They determined that a certain level of failures in training would cause them to expect that same level of failure on the street. It was then decided that the number of failures warranted dropping the M&Ps from their program. That does not mean that all M&P owners in the private sector should run right out and trade in their pistols. Your personal M&P pistol will in all likelihood, never see even a portion of the stress of their pistols. Use it in good health.

I have no worries about my M&P or my Sig. Happy owner so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I know you're not keen on the newer gen Sigs, what's your current favorite? HK, MP, Glock, other?

All 3 have strong and weak points.

Gen 1-3 Glock are great because they have an abundance of spare parts available but are not very ergonomic. I only own Glocks now for the parts and availability of magazines reason alone. Glocks tend to have a good capacity.

M&P's are super ergonomic but parts are not as common and mags can be harder to find and sometimes cost a little more. M&Ps tend to have a good capacity.

HK's are one of the best current handgun manufacturers IMO, BUT mags are VERY expensive and parts are VERY hard to acquire. They don't break often but when they do they go down hard. They tend to be large even for mid size models and often hold less then other manufacturers offerings.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Gen 1-3 Glock are great because they have an abundance of spare parts available but are not very ergonomic. I only own Glocks now for the parts and availability of magazines reason alone. Glocks tend to have a good capacity.

M&P's are super ergonomic but parts are not as common and mags can be harder to find and sometimes cost a little more. M&Ps tend to have a good capacity.

HK's are one of the best current handgun manufacturers IMO, BUT mags are VERY expensive and parts are VERY hard to acquire. They don't break often but when they do they go down hard. They tend to be large even for mid size models and often hold less then other manufacturers offerings.

Thanks for the extra insight.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

I have had difficulty finding "legal" mags for the M&P. I take that as a message from God the the M&P is meant to have 17+ :innocent0
    S&W has done good job of holding down the aftermarket for it by keeping a tight hold on the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom