• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    You think this news is bad, wait until it takes 6 month to get our "HQL". :mad54:

Can you say TRO? I can. What will be the difference between dealers releasing per the law on Sep 30 vs needing a HQL on Oct 2.

Courts are going to have to square with a very vast deprivation of rights with folks who have been screwed by dealers, MSP, and the bad bill.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I think a lot of people are going to be delayed well into 2014.

I see potential for a BIG lawsuit.

I see a lot of pissed off, re-energized voters going into the 2014 elections.

I think hubris and stupidity have led "those people" to make huge, blundersome miscalculatifications. Hope so, anyway.

I will be sending out some selected emails tomorrow to several Dels and Sens, looking for some real answers.

I continue to recommend that people stay in contact with their (and key) reps throughout the year.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If this HQL requirement stands pretty much all handguns sold after 5/20/13, and that are stashed in stores waiting for an ND, will now have to wait also for an HQL. This will make the pathetic delays untenable, therefore easier to defeat in court. A judge needs to make Maryland FFL's the POC for handguns purchases TODAY. Can't someone, based on this letter alone, already go to court?

I don't see how that isn't an ex post facto law. It's the fault of the state and dealer for not releasing per the law...there will be thousands with standing for suit on 10/2...the NRA can take its pick! Almost makes me want to buy a lower from a dealer that will deprive me of my rights just to be part to a suit.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I hate to say "I told you so" but........... :sad20:

If there is any good to be seen in this, at least it's possible that this additional outrageous denial of accessibility to a constitutional right might be enough to tip the balance in favor of an injunction.

I think if an injunction was granted it would be so short lived to be almost meaningless.

I don't think so. I actually think we have a very good chance for an injunction lasting several months. I don't think we have much hope of getting the law overturned in the courts in the long run, but an injunction for three to six months should be do-able. But that's just my opinion.

We want a temporary restraining order on the HQL garbage until the case can be heard. Like I said above...what will be the difference between folks receiving their arms from dealers who release it to them on sep 30 and ones who don't get to them until oct 2? Absolutely nothing other than "legislative intent."

MD is acting very boldly. I just hope the court can't square with severability.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    But not everyone needs an HQL right? Aren't there exceptions like already owning a gun, being LEO, being a firearms instructor, etc?

TD

HQL Exemptions:

LEOs
    Career Retired Military
    Active Duty Military
    Firearms Manufacturers

HQL Training Exemptions:

DNR Hunter Safety Course
    Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Honorably Discharged from Active Duty Military or National Guard
    Armored car company employee with a work related CCW
    Lawfully owns a regulated firearm

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    HQL Exemptions:

LEOs
    Career Retired Military
    Active Duty Military
    Firearms Manufacturers

HQL Training Exemptions:

DNR Hunter Safety Course
    Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Honorably Discharged from Active Duty Military or National Guard
    Armored car company employee with a work related CCW
    Lawfully owns a regulated firearm

Titles of nobility...the Constitution expressly prohibits this.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Outrageous! Our founding fathers might call this an egregious usurpation of the rights of the citizenry but our current leaders would call it "common sense" gun legislation. Remember Those People Next Election Day!

Mr H

Banana'd
    I don't see how that isn't an ex post facto law. It's the fault of the state and dealer for not releasing per the law...there will be thousands with standing for suit on 10/2...the NRA can take its pick! Almost makes me want to buy a lower from a dealer that will deprive me of my rights just to be part to a suit.

this was my wife's question as well...

waiting for the lawyers to chime in, as I know there are very specific conditions but danged if I can remember it all right now

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

waiting for the lawyers to chime in, as I know there are very specific conditions but danged if I can remember it all right now

The question I suppose is what constitutes the act of purchase? Is it possession? Is it the purchase order? What does the law say?

The legislature can't be absent upon its intent with regards to these issues (of course they never foresaw the law of unintended consequences) and the AG opine your half subject under one part of the law and half under the old law.

"MD...we just make shit up as we go along."

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    The HQL will be hard to defeat; but if the HQL is used as a way to impose a total ban on handgun ownership, it should be easy to at least stay.

An HQL is not hard to beat, if we get IS or better standard of review. Proof that it can lead to a total ban will help encourage the court to set standards that will prevent a back door ban.

Fingerprints will also be an issue --- let let this one take its course and not get all flustered, our chances are better than ever now that It looks like a total ban may occur --- some pain now , but much gain later.

"We fear a defacto ban" is now become " the government has engineered, knowingly, at total ban in open defiance of this court " ---

have a BIT of faith --- we can always worry later...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The NRA (or any organization for that matter) isn't going to be able to do squat about these laws for a looong loooong loooooong time; if ever.

Oct 2, 2013 isn't that far away, and neither is a court challenge.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    It will be the NRA leading the lawsuit. MSI and AGC don't have the funds and resources to take the lawsuit to the Supreme Court.

Originally, we needed to wait until the law took effect; with this new information, an injunction may now be an option.

Previously there had been no practical option for an injunction, this may be a game changer.

+1
    Perhaps, but I am sure it did not surprise the legal team ---Those in the know must keep silent, but, folks,I have meet some of these guys,as have many here, and they know what they are doing .... really. Have faith ...

They will fight . We will fight ... Just save some coin we may need it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

The state really is NOT the one causing the problem here. The state has already given dealers the green light to release. The problem is entirely between the dealer and the buyer at this point. If the dealer refuses to release until the ND comes back post October, I think there is some pretty good grounds for a lawsuit against the dealer for the costs to obtain the HQL. Thing is, there must be ambiguity between the dealer and the buyer as to when the gun would be released. If the buyer knew going into it that the gun would NOT be released until an ND came along, then that is the buyer's fault. Lots of people knew about this back in May. I knew about this back then and was talking to my FFL about it before the lawsuit was even close to being settled. Some dealers were releasing prior to the ND back then. My stipulation to him when I picked up my first gun from him was that the rest of the handguns be transferred to me before October 1, 2013. He could take all the time he wanted in getting them to me as long as they came before October 1, 2013. Needless to say, I have all of them and he has been great to deal with. I have referred my brother in-law, sister, and brother to him and will probably send a couple more his way before October 1, 2013.

Really tough to blame the state when the dealers can release but refuse to do so of their own accord. Now, come October 1, 2013 when a HQL is needed, there might be an issue if people cannot obtain the HQL on or extremely close to October 1, 2013. At that point, it becomes entirely the state's fault and no longer the dealers.

So, those of you at a dealer not releasing until a ND comes back, look at your contract and see if there is a way to get out of it and/or if it stipulates that the firearm will NOT be released prior to a ND coming back. I have been harping about this for a month now, but everybody thinks I am trying to beat up on the dealers. Can only imagine the backlash the Bass Pro Shop is going to receive from this with 1,000+ handguns in the backroom and them still selling without telling people they will most likely need a HQL to pick up the handgun by the time the ND comes back. That one could very well be a class action lawsuit.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Awesome. This well-and-truly f*cks several people I know.

So... It's our fault all of you (our supreme leaders) are incompetent jackoffs. Great.

lol - I don't proclaim to be a supreme leader, but I have been preaching that you MUST get these things in your hands before October 1, 2013. Think I have been saying that since mid May. If you think that the Supreme Leaders can just change the law willy nilly, then you have no idea how it works. If it wasn't for the Supreme Leaders, SB281 would have been a lot worse and you would have a lot fewer dealers releasing prior to a ND.

How about you apply for Supreme Leader status and see what you can do about all this.

Lastly, did you and your friends vote in the last election?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    lol - I don't proclaim to be a supreme leader, but I have been preaching that you MUST get these things in your hands before October 1, 2013. Think I have been saying that since mid May. If you think that the Supreme Leaders can just change the law willy nilly, then you have no idea how it works. If it wasn't for the Supreme Leaders, SB281 would have been a lot worse and you would have a lot fewer dealers releasing prior to a ND.

How about you apply for Supreme Leader status and see what you can do about all this.

Lastly, did you and your friends vote in the last election?

hey I am not sure who he was referring to with that supreme leader stuff I may have been a swipe at the politicians--- as in they can write a law clearly and the transfer are taking forever....

but i could be wrong

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    The state really is NOT the one causing the problem here. The state has already given dealers the green light to release. The problem is entirely between the dealer and the buyer at this point. If the dealer refuses to release until the ND comes back post October, I think there is some pretty good grounds for a lawsuit against the dealer for the costs to obtain the HQL. Thing is, there must be ambiguity between the dealer and the buyer as to when the gun would be released. If the buyer knew going into it that the gun would NOT be released until an ND came along, then that is the buyer's fault. Lots of people knew about this back in May. I knew about this back then and was talking to my FFL about it before the lawsuit was even close to being settled. Some dealers were releasing prior to the ND back then. My stipulation to him when I picked up my first gun from him was that the rest of the handguns be transferred to me before October 1, 2013. He could take all the time he wanted in getting them to me as long as they came before October 1, 2013. Needless to say, I have all of them and he has been great to deal with. I have referred my brother in-law, sister, and brother to him and will probably send a couple more his way before October 1, 2013.

Really tough to blame the state when the dealers can release but refuse to do so of their own accord. Now, come October 1, 2013 when a HQL is needed, there might be an issue if people cannot obtain the HQL on or extremely close to October 1, 2013. At that point, it becomes entirely the state's fault and no longer the dealers.

So, those of you at a dealer not releasing until a ND comes back, look at your contract and see if there is a way to get out of it and/or if it stipulates that the firearm will NOT be released prior to a ND coming back. I have been harping about this for a month now, but everybody thinks I am trying to beat up on the dealers. Can only imagine the backlash the Bass Pro Shop is going to receive from this with 1,000+ handguns in the backroom and them still selling without telling people they will most likely need a HQL to pick up the handgun by the time the ND comes back. That one could very well be a class action lawsuit.

Per other MDS threads, BassPro has started to release without an ND. BassPro starting to release without an ND coupled with the official HQL confirmation probably creates incentive for a few more dealers to release timely.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    First ever post...from Baltimore...but this got me especially p'd off.

What if people in the squeeze went to their FFL's (those not releasing on time) and said: I'll take possession of the gun then give it right back to you so your gunsmith, etc. can have a look at it. That way, you've taken possession, but they have no fear of letting some bad guy out on the street with a weapon. You still might have some FFL's who say NO, but some might say yes. Then, you've got legal possession (and avoid HQL) but they aren't risking an armed (should be declined) idiot walking out the door.

Just need to sign off on the Form 77r stating that you took possession of the firearm on or before October 1, 2013. Of course, dealers could get themselves in a bind here too because they technically have to release the firearm to you and somebody could demand that the firearm be returned to them right afterward. This one could be tricky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom