• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Are there any commercial 30-06 loads that would be unsafe to fire in an Eddystone M1917? I'm headed out tomorrow to put some rounds down range and don't want to dip into my M1 Garand food if I don't have to. Thanks.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    It still may not hurt to lean toward the lower end of the weight spectrum if you can.

We'll do and thanks. I wasn't going to go too hot for the simple fact that it is a 100 year old gun. I have no idea how accurate these are supposed to be. It had a muzzle reading of -1.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Don't shoot any 180 or 200 grain. Most modern loads are too hot.

Even some 168gr FMJ maybe hard on it so keep it mellow with the 150 FMJ.

You're just punching paper for grins and giggles after all.

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    Here's a thread from the CMP forum for what it's worth:

http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-56929.html

Good to read that thread. Thanks for passing along. I seems I have a lot of wriggle room here and the real choice is more about accuracy vs. safety. I'm still working on the bore. It looked pretty rough at the show but I got the rifle for a song. Been brushing and patching for a while and the barrel is cleaning up really well. I can tell that it is a little frosty (but hardly dark now) with some pitting in the grooves. Not too bad though. I'll have to see what it likes.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Gunsmiths used to rechamber these in magnum calibers.

And 25 years ago, there would be tables of 1917s selling for $175-225 range at the bigger shows.

You break or blow up a $200 rifle and that's no big deal to some.

Now 1917s are in short supply and cost more than $200 so why break an old warhorse and shootable piece of history for nothing.

Just go to the range with a few boxes of 150g FMJ and pretend your Sgt Alvin York with his trusty 1917 picking off the Huns.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't shoot any 180 or 200 grain. Most modern loads are too hot.

Even some 168gr FMJ maybe hard on it so keep it mellow with the 150 FMJ.

You're just punching paper for grins and giggles after all.

In the 1917?

The Garand yes, but not the bolt guns.

Except for low number 03s, and there is evidence of that issue being a non-issue.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And 25 years ago, there would be tables of 1917s selling for $175-225 range at the bigger shows.

You break or blow up a $200 rifle and that's no big deal to some.

Can you point to any that blew up?

Even after being converted?

Reports of them converted to .416 Rigby and even .338 Lapua. No reports of them blowing up.

shoot ANY commercial .06 ammunition in existance for the 1917

My experience with my 1917's has been that they like heavy bullets (168 gr +) better than the light bullets.

these 1917 are among the strongest of receivers

mine was rebarreled to 300 win mag almost 15 years ago

We reworked a lot of them for the .308 Norma Magnum*, which came out in the 1950's and, I was told by the Norma rep, was specifically intended for rechambering the M1917 to a magnum caliber. Other conversions have been the 7mm Rem Mag, the .338 Winchester and others. The action is strong enough and should be safe with any reasonable pressures.

First rifle I ever built was a 416 Rigby on the Remington M-1917 Enfield, in the late 1970s. The only problem is I made it a bit on the light side.

I have a P17 in .375 H&H and I love it. Shoots very well and easy on the eyes.

http://edlapourgunsmithing.com/custom-rifles/1917-enfield-375-hh-magnum/

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It's a strong action, would not worry about it. Saw a custom rifle built on that action in 458 Win Mag.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Watch this movie, which is full of 17 Enfields.
    True story. Proud history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN35kVR-RpU

Thanks Threeband. Got sucked into that one pretty fast (watched half of it - second half coming this afternoon).

It's a fantastic TRUE story, very well done in this movie.

Back in the 1930s every American schoolchild knew this story. Unfortunately, the First World War was entirely eclipsed in the American consciousness by the Second World War.

This is the pigeon that saved the Lost Battalion, and won the Croix de Guerre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami

c_cherami_display.jpg

Winchester

Jan 28, 2013
    Lutherville
    It's a fantastic TRUE story, very well done in this movie.

Back in the 1930s every American schoolchild knew this story. Unfortunately, the First World War was entirely eclipsed in the American consciousness by the Second World War.

This is the pigeon that saved the Lost Battalion, and won the Croix de Guerre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami

c_cherami_display.jpg

Just think, this year's high seniors were only 2 or 3 years old on 9/11. It won't be long and they won't understand the historical significance (It may be already the case). WW1 certainly seems hard for young Americans to grasp and, you're right, WW2 seemed to overshadow the "Great War."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom