Sending to Glock for Warranty on Cracked Frame. How painful will this be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    No way does it have too be shipped to a FFL!

I have FEDex'd my G17 & G19 with the call tag from Glock via FEDex. I took the glock in their original container and FEDex packed it. When they were fixed Glock shipped them directly to my house.

If the frame/receiver didn't need replacement as I assume in your case, it is perfectly legal, both Fed and MD State, for you to receive it back directly.

IF the frame is cracked, Glock will 'make it right'.
    They MAY replace the pistol with the same serial number, but, that number will have a -1 or 1, at the end of the number sequence.
    If memory serves me, they won't be allowed to replace the frame with the same serial number. I THINK BATFE dictates that.

IF Glock does that, it will take from 8 to 10 weeks to do.

Glock MAY just replace the pistol with another new pistol, with a totally different serial number.
    I would choose this option, if you are given a choice.

Please post a pic of the pistol and close-up of the crack. (Obscure the serial number if you can.)

Almost got it there, very close. The 1 or I is located forward of the serial number (prefix) as this denotes (per Glock) a replaced frame utilizing the same serial number of the old destroyed frame by Glock. If Glock uses the same serial # of the old frame, it may be possible they could ship it back to you directly though I'm not completely sure of this.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    From the ATF Licensee Quick Reference and Best Practices Guide that I just received a month or so ago...."You are not required to conduct a NICS or State background check for the following:" (I'm leaving out the sections that don't apply to your situation.)

Number 3. The return of a repaired firearm to the person from whom it was received.

Number 5. The transfer of a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom a firearm was received.
    To complicate things further, I just bought another pistol last week. I hope I don't run into any 30 day issues with the replacement.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    From the ATF Licensee Quick Reference and Best Practices Guide that I just received a month or so ago...."You are not required to conduct a NICS or State background check for the following:" (I'm leaving out the sections that don't apply to your situation.)

Number 3. The return of a repaired firearm to the person from whom it was received.

Number 5. The transfer of a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom a firearm was received.

Does that impact the special md rules?

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Here's the pic. It's a hairline fracture now, but it can crack the whole thing with a single shot.

(I took a bunch of pics. This was the best I could get.)

Hard to tell from the picture, but you're sure it's a crack and not a visual defect? They don't all come out of the mold perfect. Have you fired it before?

Either way, I'm sure Glock will treat you ok :thumbsup:

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Hard to tell from the picture, but you're sure it's a crack and not a visual defect? They don't all come out of the mold perfect. Have you fired it before?

Either way, I'm sure Glock will treat you ok :thumbsup:
    You really got me thinking. Looking at it last night I would have sworn it's crack. Looking at it now after your comment, I'm not sure. It doesn't go all the way through. And I can't see anymore than what's visible from this angle. It may very well be a surface imperfection. I have put 500 rounds through it. Would a crack be unmistakable? How would you proceed?

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    I do not know if he covers Maryland, but John Copeland (Glock Rep) is a good guy and very adamant about maintaining Glock's reputation.

If you do have a crack and have any issues with service, I can dig up his card and forward his contact info to you.

I attended a patrol rifle instructor course with John at Calvert Cliffs and he hooked up all of the Glock shooters with new "guts" and night sights.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I just shipped a Taurus revolver back today...same issue, cracked frame.

Second trip too. Told them that a frame screw fell out, the frame is cracked where the screw is, and the cylinder then fell off. They fixed the cylinder, replaced the screw, and shipped it back...still cracked. The ladies at Fed Ex almost shat themselves when I told them that there was a gun in the box. LOL

Now, they said that they'll be sending me a brandy new revolver.....we'll see.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I just shipped a Taurus revolver back today...same issue, cracked frame.

Second trip too. Told them that a frame screw fell out, the frame is cracked where the screw is, and the cylinder then fell off. They fixed the cylinder, replaced the screw, and shipped it back...still cracked. The ladies at Fed Ex almost shat themselves when I told them that there was a gun in the box. LOL

Now, they said that they'll be sending me a brandy new revolver.....we'll see.
    Disappointing they would return it with a crack. I won't be buying anything from them.

mdgsxr

Sep 26, 2007
    Eldersburg, MD.
    In case you do end up shipping it back to Glock, here is the skinny from me, as I have experienced this EXACT issue with my Glock (returning a defective gun back to the manufacturer).

In my case, I had a Gen3 Glock 21SF with the ambi mag release that broke. I had to ship it back to Glock on my dime. Once there, I was first given the option to get a new frame, but it would NOT have the same serial number. Glock informed me that GETTING THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER WAS NOT AN OPTION. With that in mind, I requested a whole new Glock 21SF (without the ambi-mag release) as I didn't want a franken-glock. And according to Glock (even speaking with a supervisor), they could NOT send it directly to me since I lived in Maryland. In the end I got a new Glock, but had to go through an FFL and then wait seven days.

Although Glock used to allow people to keep the same serial or add a "1" to their original serial, that is no longer the case. They said Maryland is only one of a handful of states (I think they mentioned NJ, CA and some other states) that requires them to ship it to a FFL if they replace the frame (which will have a different serial number). I recall asking about Virginia and they said if I lived there, it could ship right to my doorstep. If they had just put on night sights, changed an extractor or anything that did not involve changing the frame out, it would have shipped right to my doorstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom