• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elbert

Aug 22, 2013
    here
    tl;dr version:
    Benelli Montefeltro 12 ga, 28" barrel. Took it out last weekend for the first time at Bull Run. Pics below.

long version:
    I shot clay games only a few times, borrowing several different O/U's, but I was definitely hooked. Decided it was time to get my own shotgun but didn't want to go all out quite yet. Keeping it under $1000 was the plan.

My first choice was a Beretta A300 in wood. When I saw DSG had a Black Friday special price on them for $600, I was salivating. The problem was I went to Ohio for Thanksgiving. By the time I got back two days later, whatever few woodies were gone. Wasn't interested in the black plastic ones.
    I looked some other options, and saw the Benelli tag on a barrel. Hmm, Montefeltro was normally a buck short of the max limit, but DSG was having a sale on any gun in stock. So the price difference ended up about $150 more a A300 wood because it would need to be ordered.

Heard Benellis kicked like a mule, and about Benelli thumb. However, it mounted well and I figured an autoloader will have less recoil than the O/U's I usually shoot -- more on that below. I guess I'm part raccoon, because I liked the shiny chrome bolt. Barrel bluing also looked better than the A300, and the wood looked good quality. OK, sold.

Finally got to take it out last weekend to Bull Run with two friends, who brought a 686 Silver Pigeon and a 686 Onyx (edit: it was a 686 Silver Essential, not an Onyx).

We were shooting Winchester AA, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz, #7.5, 1300 fps to break in my gun. We went through four boxes each.

I wouldn't say the Benelli kicked like a mule, but all three of us agreed the perceived recoil on the Benelli was noticeably more than the (edit) Essential, and both were more than the Silver Pigeon. Shot them back-to-back-to-back with the same ammo so no differences there. I was a bit surprised by this, but I think it may have something to do with the Monte's light weight, as well as its autoloading is inertia based, not gas operated.

Still, I really like the Monte because it fits me well out of the box. I've shot several rounds with a Citori, and words cannot adequately describe my hatred shooting it because it doesn't fit me at all. So compared to that, I'll take a little more recoil for the good fit. It also swings to my liking -- not too light, not too heavy.

What I don't like about the Monte is its front bead, which is a tiny red fiber optic. I ordered a green Hi Viz, which will hopefully do the trick. I also did get a bit of Benelli thumb, so I'll need to work on not getting it caught in the gate.

Hope to bring it out to an MDS event soon. In the meantime, a couple of pics. Sorry my feet aren't in them :lol2:

Attachments

• monte.jpg
      monte.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 311
    • monte bolt.jpg
      monte bolt.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 350
    Last edited:

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Yea, if you are looking at the bead you are doing something wrong. The high viz will distract you.

Congrats on the new gun, its beautiful.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    You said "We were shooting Winchester AA, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz, #7.5, 1300 fps to break in my gun. We went through four boxes each."

That's 16 boxes or 400 AA hulls.

WHERE ARE THE HULLS!

Hope you didn't trash them.

ps: You can sell once used AAHS hulls for $.05 each.

elbert

Aug 22, 2013
    here
    Thanks for the compliments!

Don't worry about the bead -after a while you won't pay any attention to it, whether it is red ,green or nonexistent.

Yea, if you are looking at the bead you are doing something wrong. The high viz will distract you.

It's probably about time to get a serious lesson.
    I don't focus on the bead too much and keep it in the periphery. I was recently told my eyes have accommodation issues (need to ask for more details), so I sometimes get cross-eyed. The Onyx had a Champion Easy Hit, which helped quite a bit with that. But I can see that a fiber optic could be a crutch.

You said "We were shooting Winchester AA, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz, #7.5, 1300 fps to break in my gun. We went through four boxes each."

That's 16 boxes or 400 AA hulls.

WHERE ARE THE HULLS!

Hope you didn't trash them.

ps: You can sell once used AAHS hulls for $.05 each.

Yeah, the other guys kept theirs. I found the downside of an autoloader -- it sprays the hulls everywhere, usually over the rail and out of reach :mad:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Put a rubber band around the receiver and it will catch the hulls. Tands may make a shell catcher also.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Really nice gun. I shot a guys Benelli that had a carbon fiber stock and forend. Using 1200 fps #8 loads the recoil was less than my Beretta 686. Gun didn't fit me though, so I went back to the Beretta (which has been idled for a really soft shooting Maxus Sporting Clay model). And I saved the shells!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom