• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm looking to purchase a new semi auto 12 gauge for about $1,000. It will be used for deer hunting, turkey hunting and maybe a day or two of waterfowl hunting. Hoping to find something that doesn't kick like a mule. I looked at the Benelli SBE2 but by the time I add glass and two barrels (bird and deer barrel) I'm into it for over $3k and I will only be using it 10 times a year at most. Any suggestions? Sorry if this has been covered in a previous post. Thanks.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm very happy with my Browning Maxus. Points great, shoots soft, very reliable but runs a little dirty. Not sure you can get it with a second barrel for under $1000 though.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    If you don't need the extra frills and you're ok with a solid gun that will take a beating and eats everything with little recoil I'd look at the Remington versa max sportsman. You can pick one up for $800-$900 and get an extra Barrel pretty easily. I've used mine for clays too and really enjoy it. There are higher end versa max's with more frills but add a few hundred to the tag.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. :)

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    If you don't need the extra frills and you're ok with a solid gun that will take a beating and eats everything with little recoil I'd look at the Remington versa max sportsman. You can pick one up for $800-$900 and get an extra Barrel pretty easily. I've used mine for clays too and really enjoy it. There are higher end versa max's with more frills but add a few hundred to the tag.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. :)

I don't need frills. I just want a gun that doesn't have to be babied to be reliable and that has a lower recoil. Thanks

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    Looks like cabellas has the browning maxusfor $1400 in camo. I figure at that amount I'd pull the trigger in the SBE2 for another $300. The maxus is $100 off at that price.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I don't need frills. I just want a gun that doesn't have to be babied to be reliable and that has a lower recoil. Thanks

That's exactly how I feel and why I bought the sportsman. If you live anywhere near me and want to take it for a spin you're more than welcome. I have a 26" barrel on it and a 28" for it as well. Shoots soft and eats everything I've fed it.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Look at the benelli M2. You dont need a SBE. Any thoughts on a pump. For what you are hunting a pump would be fine.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    That's exactly how I feel and why I bought the sportsman. If you live anywhere near me and want to take it for a spin you're more than welcome. I have a 26" barrel on it and a 28" for it as well. Shoots soft and eats everything I've fed it.

Thanks. I appreciate the offer

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    Look at the benelli M2. You dont need a SBE. Any thoughts on a pump. For what you are hunting a pump would be fine.

I have a 20 gauge pump. Looking to get a 12 gauge semi to have options as I think it will be better for waterfowl.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    A-400 is going to be the softest shooting auto, but, tough to find at that price point.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    I think my fabarm xlr5 is softer than the a400s that I have shot. But for almost double the price it should be.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    OP, how much is recoil really a worry? When out deer hunting, you aren't going to shoot many rounds. Same goes for turkey hunting. Duck hunting you would be lucky to shoot a box of shells, if you are a really bad shot or shooting on a group limit with a bunch of people that are terrible shots. All the new models have frills and bells and whistles to reduce recoil.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    OP, how much is recoil really a worry? When out deer hunting, you aren't going to shoot many rounds. Same goes for turkey hunting. Duck hunting you would be lucky to shoot a box of shells, if you are a really bad shot or shooting on a group limit with a bunch of people that are terrible shots. All the new models have frills and bells and whistles to reduce recoil.

This - Unless you have had shoulder problems, you will not be likely to have any recoil issues with any of the modern day (even those going back 40 years) semi autos out there.

If I were you, I would keep my eyes on Armslist.com or trapshooters.com for a used Remington 1100 magnum or an 1187. You can get into a 20 year old gun for $500 - $600 which is likely a better built, higher quality firearm than what you can buy brand new today. You can then spend another $200 on an extra barrel. If you don't like Remington, then try a Beretta A303 (or A302) for about the same money. These guns were built like tanks and will outlast any of the overpriced ******** being sold today.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    This - Unless you have had shoulder problems, you will not be likely to have any recoil issues with any of the modern day (even those going back 40 years) semi autos out there.

If I were you, I would keep my eyes on Armslist.com or trapshooters.com for a used Remington 1100 magnum or an 1187. You can get into a 20 year old gun for $500 - $600 which is likely a better built, higher quality firearm than what you can buy brand new today. You can then spend another $200 on an extra barrel. If you don't like Remington, then try a Beretta A303 (or A302) for about the same money. These guns were built like tanks and will outlast any of the overpriced ******** being sold today.

I have the shoulders from hell and I've been shooting the Mossberg 930 with no problems at all. It is a dream to shoot for me. Had both shoulders repaired and I don't feel beat up after shooting 100 rounds or so. Very nice recoil. Just throwing that out there. New out the door for around $600. That's for the 24" JM model that holds 10 rounds. Great for 3 gun.

goose4

Jan 6, 2013
    I would suggest the Winchester SX3. I have been waterfowl hunting mostly for about 40 years using an old Remington 1100. A few years back I was looking for a new shotgun, but I liked the way the 1100 handled and it was like second nature. My brother owned an SBE and I didn't care for the action, comparing it to my 1100. I went looking for a shotgun that felt the same as the 1100 and ended up with the SX3. I have been happy since, and it even feeds the light loads well for the times I've used it for sporting clays. If you do consider the 1100, let me know what barrels you are looking for as I have a couple extra. Good luck!

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013

I really just don't want it to kick like a mile. I'd like to convince my wife to try it and want her to be comfortable also so maybe she decides to take up waterfowl hunting also.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I really just don't want it to kick like a mile. I'd like to convince my wife to try it and want her to be comfortable also so maybe she decides to take up waterfowl hunting also.

Again, none of today's guns kick like a mule, especially the semi autos. Over under, maybe, pump, yes. Just make sure the first time your wife shoots it that she is shooting at a live bird. She wont feel a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom