Which is better - 9mm Luger or .380 ACP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • For everyday carry, in most situations; which is better?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    p1307737110.jpg

This photo is very deceptive. I don't know if it is some sort of optical illusion or what. It makes it look like there is a big size difference between the LCP and the LC9. There is not a lot of difference in their sizes. Less than an inch in any direction. This is better illustrated in your attachment in post #4 in this thread.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You should definitely spring for an LCP. It is one hell of a pocket pistol! I love mine, and, I did a range report on it sometime back. I'll try and find it and post it.

I agree. For what they are, they function perfectly.

If you get your trigger finger pinched, just swap out the trigger for an RTK trigger; it's pretty easy to do and a good upgrade.

maxresdefault.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    .380 becomes very marginal when heavy winter clothes are worn. Around here (wi), that's about 9 months out of the year.

I'm also biased against micro pistols with big mitts, so the prime benefit of easy concealment with tiny physical size is gone. So why get a larger weaker caliber? Just my situation.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Originally from Wisconsin too (and just there on Friday). If there more often, I would carry my P99AS Compact. However in more temperate areas, where I can carry, a P238 or 38 Special revolver can be convenient.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Can you name 3 .380's that have less recoil than a 9mm?

I guess I have bad luck and own 4 .380's and 3 of them have more recoil than my wife's Sigs or my Browning 9mm; the 4th is about equal, definitely not less.

Yeah, my S&W Bodyguard is downright painful to shoot. I guess the larger metal framed .380's would recoil less, but then it negates the weight savings.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Good point. The P238 runs +P fine, and I've run similarly juiced Underwoods through it without a problem.

It is ammo finicky though. I have other boxes of Underwood (maybe the 102 gr, have to check) and other manufacturer 380 loadings that it would initially hiccup (FTF, stove pipe, etc). No issues after a break-in period, and sticking with ammo that never had an issue during this early period, but I also never went back to check the old boxes.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    .380 becomes very marginal when heavy winter clothes are worn. Around here (wi), that's about 9 months out of the year.

I'm also biased against micro pistols with big mitts, so the prime benefit of easy concealment with tiny physical size is gone. So why get a larger weaker caliber? Just my situation.

Lesson learned in Korea with the M1 Carbine.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, my S&W Bodyguard is downright painful to shoot. I guess the larger metal framed .380's would recoil less, but then it negates the weight savings.

No, its about the action itself. I have a Titan II from the 1980's that, despite being the size of the BDM, is snappier to shoot than my best .380 (a toggle action ERMA, smaller & lighter than the Titan)

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    No, its about the action itself. I have a Titan II from the 1980's that, despite being the size of the BDM, is snappier to shoot than my best .380 (a toggle action ERMA, smaller & lighter than the Titan)

Have to take your word on that, as I only own one .380 pistol. The web of my hand takes the brunt of the recoil. It's the only polymer gun I own... I like heavy metal firearms, but not in a pocket gun.

The S&W BG is just my ICE gun that is comfortable enough to wear all evening and not know it's there.

I was attacked by my neighbors pit bull when trimming grass this year. Luckily I had the weed whacker in my hand and smacked it down when it jumped for me. The neighbor was running to me from across the road and trying to call it off, but didn't get to the animal until it had a face full of .095 line buzzing in it's snout. I didn't feel very safe fending off a pit like a lion tamer, wondering if I had enough gas in the tank. Decided right then and there I needed a lightweight form of protection while outside.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Tell me you weren't one of the ones that ditched his Garand for the carbine because it was too heavy.:shocking:

Never mind.:facepalm:

You ain't that old.:o

I DID know a old guy that did and he was later captured at the Battle Of The Bulge. Said he loved the carbine but I don't think he was a ballistics guru. He was in love with his 30/30 and I think that's the only thing he ever hunted with. Died a few years back, I enjoyed talking to him on his Murray Rd property in Worcester Co. First guy in the area that allowed me a "foreigner" (chicken necker) hunt his land. :)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Not with Speer gold dots.

I haven't tried my LCP with Gold Dots. I put 500 rounds of ball through it, 100 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense, and called it "done". Recently, though, I was at a neighbor's house shooting into a stack of doors with a few different guns to see how many doors the different rounds would go through. The first door was a steel door with a solid core (wood and insulated foam); the Hornady Critical Defense, while expansion was pretty big, didn't pass through the door (left a big bulge on the back side.)

I think I may switch to ball ammo in the 380. I know the wound channel would be small, but I'm concerned about under-penetration, now. I've also been looking at a CM9. Only a hair bigger, but 9mm. I wish the CM45 was out when I bought my CW45. Only slightly smaller, but maybe enough to make it more pocketable. I pocket carry the CW45, but you can kinda see the butt of the handle pressing out when I do.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I haven't tried my LCP with Gold Dots. I put 500 rounds of ball through it, 100 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense, and called it "done". Recently, though, I was at a neighbor's house shooting into a stack of doors with a few different guns to see how many doors the different rounds would go through. The first door was a steel door with a solid core (wood and insulated foam); the Hornady Critical Defense, while expansion was pretty big, didn't pass through the door (left a big bulge on the back side.)

I think I may switch to ball ammo in the 380. I know the wound channel would be small, but I'm concerned about under-penetration, now. I've also been looking at a CM9. Only a hair bigger, but 9mm. I wish the CM45 was out when I bought my CW45. Only slightly smaller, but maybe enough to make it more pocketable. I pocket carry the CW45, but you can kinda see the butt of the handle pressing out when I do.
    Before you go the FMJ route, check out the .380 extreme penetrator ammo by Lehigh. They look very promising.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

At what distance were these doors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom