• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    I don't shoot pistols so honestly I didn't realize they already hung low. There has to be a simple solution to settle them down abit.

No pistols? what are you a democrat or DC resident?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    No pistols? what are you a democrat or DC resident?
    :lol:

I've got a few I just don't shoot them. Since you can't tweak handloads for accuracy, or try out new optics I normally don't practice much. In fact I haven't ever shot a pistol at Hap since they added the pistol range. I do plan on buying a 1911, and maybe a cz82 this year so I will be shooting that.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If you start to reload for a 1911 you will find out real fast that you NEED to tweak the loads. First just to get it to cycle properly and then for accuracy.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    From what I have seen, the targets swing more in some lanes than others. It seems to be connected to the size od the rubber "hanger". Those that are wider swing less. I moved from lane two to lane three yesterday because three was swinging less and has a wider hanger.

Also, the first and last lane seem to swing more in the wind, probably has something to do with being next to the walls and the airflow.

Now if they REALLY wanted to get fancy, there could be two hangers on each lines, one for each side of the target. But, from having talked to an RO, they make them themselves and it would be a PITA to cut out.

Man! It was windy yesterday....yeah, that's why my groupings were so bad.... :)

Splitter

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    Was up this past weekend, and have a few questions. I understand you're not supposed to handle any firearms during the cease fire, to reload targets. Why then are shooters allowed anywhere near their firearms? Other ranges in MD I have been to make all shooters clear and empty their weapons, and move away from ALL their gear until the RO clears the hot ones. Only then can you walk away from the lanes to replace targets. Rather asinine to make you wait next to all your gear than just what you were shooting.

Case in point, I waited until the cease fire to pack up so I could leave. Soon as it's called, rather than an RO waiting with me to pack my stuff, I got yelled at and had to wait another 15 minutes to place my rifle in a case to open the lane to another shooter. Why? So I can just stand back with my other rifles? What difference does that make? Shooters should be made to walk out a seperate door to get onto the range rather than through the open stalls to replace tatgets.

Why are kids allowed to play on the stations during a cease fire, and adults are not? Poor management, poorer design.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Was up this past weekend, and have a few questions. I understand you're not supposed to handle any firearms during the cease fire, to reload targets. Why then are shooters allowed anywhere near their firearms? Other ranges in MD I have been to make all shooters clear and empty their weapons, and move away from ALL their gear until the RO clears the hot ones. Only then can you walk away from the lanes to replace targets. Rather asinine to make you wait next to all your gear than just what you were shooting.

Case in point, I waited until the cease fire to pack up so I could leave. Soon as it's called, rather than an RO waiting with me to pack my stuff, I got yelled at and had to wait another 15 minutes to place my rifle in a case to open the lane to another shooter. Why? So I can just stand back with my other rifles? What difference does that make? Shooters should be made to walk out a seperate door to get onto the range rather than through the open stalls to replace tatgets.

Why are kids allowed to play on the stations during a cease fire, and adults are not? Poor management, poorer design.
    I've had this same complaint. I've been yelled at a few times for packing up during a cease fire. Even just for packing ammo and supplies up without even touching any guns. The problem is, now the next person can't come in and unpack their stuff to be ready for the next firing session. It's just inefficient. It's not like I was picking up rifles and pointing them at anything, all I was doing was picking them up and placing them in cases, with the actions open for all to see.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I've had this same complaint. I've been yelled at a few times for packing up during a cease fire. Even just for packing ammo and supplies up without even touching any guns. The problem is, now the next person can't come in and unpack their stuff to be ready for the next firing session. It's just inefficient. It's not like I was picking up rifles and pointing them at anything, all I was doing was picking them up and placing them in cases, with the actions open for all to see.

Cease fire/cold range = don't touch firearms, period. Safety first.

If you're concerned about the shooter behind you that's waiting for your bench, start packing up when the RO gives the five minute warning. I haven't been to Hap in a while but the crew out there has been top notch in terms of adherence to safety rules, and rightly so.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

If you're concerned about the shooter behind you that's waiting for your bench, start packing up when the RO gives the five minute warning. I haven't been to Hap in a while but the crew out there has been top notch in terms of adherence to safety rules, and rightly so.

I understand safety first and safety will always be my priority. I just find the ROs there can be a little overly harsh.

Last edited:

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I understand you're not supposed to handle any firearms during the cease fire . . .

. . . had to wait another 15 minutes to place my rifle in a case to open the lane to another shooter. Why?

Because of your first sentence.

I've been yelled at a few times for packing up during a cease fire. Even just for packing ammo and supplies up without even touching any guns. . . .

It's not like I was picking up rifles and pointing them at anything, all I was doing was picking them up and placing them in cases, with the actions open for all to see.

Ever observe someone at the range and think "they don't know their head from their ass." Ever wonder what would happen if they actually didn't and accidentally discharged their firearm while casing it?

I'll wait 15 minutes if it means everyone goes home in one piece and the range stays open.

Well said Boondock Saint.

It is done for safety. Every range is set up a little different. That means every range needs rules that are a little different.

If you prefer the rules of one range over another, vote with your wallet. Lots of us pass ranges on the way to the range we like.

jeganrocks

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County, MD
    I tell the RO that I'm leaving during the ceasefire. This allows the next person to go out and put out targets. They have to wait until I pack up before they can unpack. Last time we were there RO's were in a good mood, no yelling.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I've been many times and have never been or seen any of the RO's yell or bully anyone.

If rules are broken it's up to them to enforce them...I've only seem them come over and tell someone in a nice way what is wrong.

Maybe I'm jaded since I only go off peak hours when it isnt busy.

They dont make the rules and no one makes you go. Dont like it find somewhere else.

I dont think the other guy having to wait is that big of a deal...if you go to the range when it's really busy I'm guessing you set hours aside to do it...10 minutes isnt going to ruin your day.

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    I've been many times and have never been or seen any of the RO's yell or bully anyone.

If rules are broken it's up to them to enforce them...I've only seem them come over and tell someone in a nice way what is wrong.

Maybe I'm jaded since I only go off peak hours when it isnt busy.

They dont make the rules and no one makes you go. Dont like it find somewhere else.

I dont think the other guy having to wait is that big of a deal...if you go to the range when it's really busy I'm guessing you set hours aside to do it...10 minutes isnt going to ruin your day.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom