What's the best 4-wheeler out there for the money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Honda rancher 420. You really don't need anything larger. It has plenty of power and it can navigate virtually threw any trails around here. You can put a nice cycle country plow on it. 48-52" blade would be preferred.

If you want something bigger, go with a polaris sportsman 500 or larger.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Honda rancher 420. You really don't need anything larger. It has plenty of power and it can navigate virtually threw any trails around here. You can put a nice cycle country plow on it. 48-52" blade would be preferred.

If you want something bigger, go with a polaris sportsman 500 or larger.

You told me Can-Am is the best out there.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I have an 05 honda rancher. with a 48" plow it has never quit on me. I used it commercially pushing snow for 2 years and personally since I got it. The blizzards we had a few years ago didn't stop it. Just don't let the snow pile up too much.

-Z

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    I have a 2013 Honda Foreman 500 Fourtrax and I love it. Havent gotten a plow for it yet but plan to. Would have been nice with some of the snow we have gotten already. Of course I'll buy the plow and it wont snow for another 3 years.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    My Prairie 650 has been a bust

Hard to start and unreliable. I'd get an old honda 300 4x4 or Suzuki quad master for the money...

JDBoss

Quiet Professional
    Nov 8, 2010
    Florida
    Can Am guy here... had a Can Am Outlander Max 800R (two up) with a Warn Pro-Vantage - worked GREAT! But sold it and bought a Can Am Commander 1000XT, which is awesome as well! Not cheap, but kicks butt!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I have an 04 Kodiak 450 (really a 42ish motor), solid rear axle, electronic front diff lock, no EPS, carburetor, and a 2500lb Warn. It's pretty basic bare bones Utility 4x4 with a High/Low gear.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I have 2006 King Quad 700 camo with Warn winch and plow. Bought it new and it has been a great quad. I hve used it to Hauled my decoys, pulled several big bucks out of the woods, and has plowed every snow storm since I got it.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Few of my 500 browning edition. Love the factory heated grips, quick attach windshield, quick attach plow. The heated thumb throttle gets hot even with gloves on, I keep on low in cold temps.

500.jpg

9E6E6FDE-184D-468F-9278-A526A33DF8BB-69601-00004C87169004F1.jpg

623926e18c938f4cc095fa92b648c6e2_zps1b89ad22.jpg

Sig sickness

Aug 27, 2013
    Note to everyone who plows with their ATV. Get yourself a 6' piece of 1/4" steel cable. Take your 50' winch cable off, and replace it with this short cable, also get yourself a small short 1/4" pull spring. Hook the pull spring to your plow lift point, then the short cable to this. This prevents you from messing up your normal winch cable and the spring keeps you from burning up your winch when pulling the plow up all the way. We used to have 10 atvs plowing snow for us around commercial sidewalk. :sad20:

So glad I now plow for the state with dump trucks. :party29:

JosephIV

Go look at all the quads. Ride them. Price them. Find a deal.

No one single make sucks all of the time. No one single make rocks all of the time. If you have trouble starting your quad you probably don't know crap about quads and your valves are tight, your compression is low, or you let ethanol gas crap up your carbs/EFI.

I have a Kawi Prairie 700. It is a beast. Older solid rear axle but it has a big bore kit, cut clutches, aftermarket suspension (works and progressive springs/shocks), and is nowhere near stock outrunning stock Yamaha 700 Raptors. Had a Prairie 650 and it was stock except for exhaust, jetting, and wheels/tires. Not a lick of problems from either.

See what fits you and your riding style. If you must have 2 up riding why not look at side by side UTV's? More selection, decent resale on most models, and it has a full cage and seat belts.

If I were buying today I'd be looking at the Can Ams but I like to go fast AND have the ability to plow or run up rocky ledges. Otherwise I'd recommend a Suzuki for what they give you for your money and the reliability. Had a Vinson 500 that a friend totaled. Loved that quad. Yamaha 550 Grizzly with EPS is nice. Honda is a bit slow but solid with good resale.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I also agree with Tri County, just about everyone in my family except me has bought a utility 4 wheeler from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom