• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    In the interest of complete disclosure...

"rsilvers" = Robert Silvers, AAC Research and Development Director

He birthed this beautiful baby. :D

Pretty cool that he's hanging with us and sharing his expertise. :thumbsup:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My whole estimate on the 40% is due to the fact that almost everyone who wants an ar15 right now already has one or two. When these people are getting back into the market for their next rifle, the 300 BLK will already be established with lots of options and cheap ammo. Then the only decision will be another 556 or a more capable hunting/sbr cartridge. I cannot see the 300blk not doing well in that scenerio.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    If you're truly the project manager, you'll have the sales projections. Are you genuinely telling me that it's 40%+ of the AR-15 market in the next two years?

No. I would not forecast that much. I do think it will be the #1 alternative centerfire rifle AR cartridge within the next year.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    The bigger issue was the chamber & case drawing screwup.

It was bad enough the Remington submitted design had less freebore and a much sharper angle where the neck transitions to the freebore, than the original chamber of the 5th SFG; but if you look at the drawings you can have a conditon where a case 'in spec' to the max dimensions would not fit in a chamber that was 'in spec' to the minium dimensions.

That is the popular perception. Western Powders did a study and it was determined that the free bore being shortened only accounted for 1000 psi typical (1500 psi max) additional pressure and 20 fps typical (30 fps max) lost velocity. The greater problem were bores that had chrome plating without accounting for their thickness. Being under SAAMI minimum cross-sectional area is a big problem.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    rsilvers, is the only difference between .300blk and .300WT the cartridge length. What is there to recommend one over the other?

7.62x40mm is not a SAAMI round, so larger companies won't make products for it. There is one or maybe a few companies working on it, while 300 BLK has about 90 companies. 7.62x40mm has less of a taper, so it has to be fire-formed to make the brass in-spec if you start with 223 or 5.56mm brass - a very costly step for reloaders as it requires firing a bullet. The cartridge is not compatible with standard magazines unless you download them to lower capacity. It has a very short neck length, so there is, in my opinion, not enough bullet support. And while it is claimed to be 200+ fps faster than 300 BLK by some users - that is only if you load it to well over 55,000 psi. If loaded to the same 55,000 psi pressure as 300 BLK, then it is more like 85 fps faster with 125 grain bullets. While fans of it have said it is better if you want just supersonic ammo, I don't see it that way - for the reasons listed - even for just supersonic use.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Just curious, what would be the implications for a small (85 grain) pistol bullet or 100 grain rifle bullet. Would this be practical for a supersonic load with increased velocity in the .300 blkout?

Just curious (and a little stupid).

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    7.62x40mm is not a SAAMI round, so larger companies won't make products for it. There is one or maybe a few companies working on it, while 300 BLK has about 90 companies. 7.62x40mm has less of a taper, so it has to be fire-formed to make the brass in-spec if you start with 223 or 5.56mm brass - a very costly step for reloaders as it requires firing a bullet. The cartridge is not compatible with standard magazines unless you download them to lower capacity. It has a very short neck length, so there is, in my opinion, not enough bullet support. And while it is claimed to be 200+ fps faster than 300 BLK by some users - that is only if you load it to well over 55,000 psi. If loaded to the same 55,000 psi pressure as 300 BLK, then it is more like 85 fps faster with 125 grain bullets. While fans of it have said it is better if you want just supersonic ammo, I don't see it that way - for the reasons listed - even for just supersonic use.

Thanks! That was the info I was looking for. Good to know. Looks like I am going .300blk for my new build.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Welcome to the jungle baby! This place will feed your addiction.

Yes it will, I just got done putting together my lower - minus buffer tube/stock - for my 300 Blk build. :D

Still haven't decided on barrel length - 10"pistol/sbr, or 16", decisions, decisions.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Just curious, what would be the implications for a small (85 grain) pistol bullet or 100 grain rifle bullet. Would this be practical for a supersonic load with increased velocity in the .300 blkout?

Just curious (and a little stupid).

The bullet would be too short to feed. 2.1 inches is the shortest OAL that is very reliable in an AR - same as 223. You can go shorter if reliability is less important, or if you are using a single shot or bolt-action rifle.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The bullet would be too short to feed. 2.1 inches is the shortest OAL that is very reliable in an AR - same as 223. You can go shorter if reliability is less important, or if you are using a single shot or bolt-action rifle.

Awesome, thanks... I plan on running only heavier sub-sonic loads, but it's nice to know 2.1 is the lower limit for reliable feeding!

Mark

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This has turned into a great thread. I have a lower I was wondering what to do with.....now I know. Looks like more paperwork off to the BATF......

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    If you look at the barrel group buy thread, look at how many blk barrels are being asked for. Kind of amazing to me. I have tried to avoid all the AR hype but I can't. First time AR buyer, 300blk for me, just waiting on the lowers to come in.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I really need to stop reading these threads. Now i want to build a suppressed .300 BLK. My wife is going to kill me!!!

I'll second this. I was planning on a SBR 6.8 to go along with my SPR, but the allure of using a smaller/lighter 9mm handgun supressor is tough to ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom