• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    It was out of stock at midway, didn't think to check on CMMG's site. I think the SI and CMMG are about equal to be honest. There were some early problems with the CMMG barrel with the chambering from what I read.

With regard to the gas port... ya, I have my own mill and lathe. Not an issue to open up the gas port a little.

Good input.... I think CMMG is good to go now as well. I would have considered it, but I'll save 30 bucks using my mill.

cool. I have been debating doing 300 myself and have all the parts mapped out as well... I just want to sit the sideline a bit more and see how the ammo plays out. If the market is there to get a large enough steady supply at $12 per box then I might dive in

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    cool. I have been debating doing 300 myself and have all the parts mapped out as well... I just want to sit the sideline a bit more and see how the ammo plays out. If the market is there to get a large enough steady supply at $12 per box then I might dive in

I'm pretty sure there is plenty of ammo that fit your criteria.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So you're prefering shorter, fatter, and slower penises then? I'm sure somebody will find that info useful.

:lol:

That's funny right there.

I haven't ruled out 300 BLK pistol build myself, just need more funds.

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I hope the 300 Blackout kills the "six eight short penis compensating", as well.

So you're prefering shorter, fatter, and slower penises then? I'm sure somebody will find that info useful.

:popcorn: KNEW that would bring Forest out. :D

I am liking the 300BLK more I learn about it. I know that 6.5 and 6.8 are better, but at this point 600 yards is the MAX I plan on shooting (realistically no farther than 400 yards for a while), so I will "misuse" it as a midrange round with more than what a 556 is bringing to the show. If and when I get more involved (cans, SBRS) maybe then I will use the 300 in more of a proper short range role and switch up, handloading for 6.5 or 6.8.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    I'm looking forward to it.

If I'm understanding correctly (I've never built an AR before..) I'd only need a lower to finish that upper off, correct?

When I say lower, I mean a finished lower, or a stripped lower that I built.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm looking forward to it.

If I'm understanding correctly (I've never built an AR before..) I'd only need a lower to finish that upper off, correct?

When I say lower, I mean a finished lower, or a stripped lower that I built.

the only part that is different is the barrel. everything else is what you would use in an ar 15 that shoots 223 / 5.56

So get a completed lower and buy that CMMG upper and your good to go.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    I hope the 300 Blackout kills the "six eight short penis compensating", as well.

Not to start a shit storm or question your awesome wealth of knowledge,but why so much hate for the 6.8?I am gettin to put in a order in the next 6 weeks for a AR Performance 6.8 am I gettin ready to make a $1400.00
    mistake

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Not to start a shit storm or question your awesome wealth of knowledge,but why so much hate for the 6.8?I am gettin to put in a order in the next 6 weeks for a AR Performance 6.8 am I gettin ready to make a $1400.00
    mistake

In some ways yes, in some ways no.

6.8 has the edge in terminal performance. It typically delivers 15-25% more energy than a supersonic .300 AAC/BLKOUT.

However you cannot interchange bolts or mags, which is where the .300 AAC/BLKOUT comes out on top. Subsonic loads exist for both platforms, but I don't think 6.8 bullets come in 220 grain, 300 AAC/BLKOUT does, and at subsonic speeds it's all about weight and not about velocity.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    I take it that 300 blackout is gonna become more easier to come by than 6.8 is,guns gonna be used on deer ect.I was thinkin a fast twist rate barreled 223 but,I thought a 6.8 would be a lot better,I may just go 6.5 grendel for the hell of it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    mistake

I prefer common military rounds. Theres no reason whatsoever that commonly available calibers cant do a job you ask of it.

5.56 in a Bolt Gun, AR, ACR, MSAR/AUG, or SCAR
    7.62x39 in an AK
    5.45x39 in an AK
    .308 in a Bolt Gun, AR10, FNAR, Saiga, HK91/PTR, M1A, SCAR H, or FAL
    .30-06 in a Bolt Gun, or M1 Garand
    .300 Win Mag in a Bolt Gun
    .338 Lapua in a Bolt Gun
    .50 BMG in a Bolt Gun, SERBU, or Barrett Auto

These are all common loads that DONT require reloading or shopping for ammo online and wont ever go by the wayside.

The .300 Blackout im not very fond of either but where it shines is the standard AR parts it uses. No special Bolts, Mags, ect..... Just a different barrel and your shooting .300 BLK, and its biting in more than the 6.5 and 6.8 did and I think it will be a common caliber very soon.

I like the FN 5.7 in the FiveseveN and PS90 but its not as easy to find but the platforms they offer it in are something to consider.

Try and find 6.5, 6.8, .458 SOCOM in most gunstore shelves, wont likely happen.

If you want a wondercaliber AR buy a .300 BLK, otherwise build an AR10/SR25 type AR in .308, or an AR in 5.56, or an AK in 7.62x39. It all depends on the type of use for the weapon and the ranges (Distances) you plan to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom