• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My blood ran cold on Febraury 14th, 2001 when I heard the news. The night before, February 13th, 2001, two young police officers from my home county had been murdered in the line of duty. Patrolman Michael Nickerson of the Centerville PD and Deputy First Class Jason Schwenz of the Queen Anne's County Sheriff's Office had responded to the home of a known subject for a noise complaint. I don't know the detail of how they died, I know only that they were both shot at close range with a rifle and neither managed to return fire to my knowledge. Their killer was arrested later that night by responding units without further incident.

Mike Nickerson was only a year older than me and Jason was 28. I'd met Mike in passing and we had mutual friends. They were young men doing what they could to make our world a better, safer place and that night they gave their lives in defense of the community they'd grown up in. Our sleepy, peaceful community had lost it's first officers since Trooper First Class Wallace Mowbray in August of 1975.

May my Brothers Rest in Peace. May their loved ones find peace. May our community never forget the sacrifice of two brave young police officers. Jason, Mike, we have the watch and all is well. Rest well Gentlemen.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I remember this. Has it only been 12 years. The whole community was stunned and saddened...but again, it was a situation like we see so many times in the past, everyone in the immediate area knew he was a problem (read mentally ill) and nothing could be done with him until he "did something". Do I sound frustrated? I think both the town police and the sheriffs department were aware of him as well, just did not think he was armed or else not a real danger. I thought I remember he had a 870 shotgun not a rifle, but it has been sometime. I think they concluded he got it from a family member, either stole it or talked someone into giving him it. Any way sorry for your and our loss.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    And yet, we as a society we still refuse to address mental health issues as a cause of much of our problems and instead try to blame the inanimate objects the mentally ill use to cause havoc.

The lost lives should never be forgotten

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom