• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm the same way. I learned to shoot long arms right handed and pistols left handed. I'm actually somewhat grateful for this, as long gun selection is much better for righties.

Same here. I found out it was much easier to shoot long guns right handed and handguns as a lefty.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    When I was an instructor (LE Agency) we would try to keep people shooting long guns the same way they shot hand guns. So even if you were left eye dominant, as long as you could hold that eye closed and keep the right open with no problems, we kept everything right. Some people's non-dominant eye just couldn't stay open and so we would have to switch them.
    If you decided you want to switch, you need to practice manipulating the gun until it becomes second nature. Start slow and deliberate and go from there. Once you have it down, start building speed. Good luck! It's not easy but it is doable.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    It's very difficult for me to close my left eye and keep only my right eye open. That's why I want to try and shoot a rifle left handed.

I plan to start with a 10/22 since its a 22lr with little kick and should be easier to train myself. I wear glasses so I don't think the auto ejection to the right in front of my face should be a big problem.

Irish64

Mar 13, 2013
    Monrovia
    I started shooting @ age 10 with 22lr. Right handed, left eye dominant. Focusing on the open sights with my right eye didn't work very well. I improved by focusing more with my right eye. Then I switched to left handed shooting. I shoot much better this way, feels more relaxed and natural since I am left eye dominant. With pistols I still use right hand but using left eye. I also shoot with both eyes open, no matter what I am shooting. The rifle purchased this year is a mini 14 ranch. Not 1 shell has hit when it is ejected.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks. Now I'm hoping my wife will get me a 10/22 takedown for Christmas ☺️!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom