• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Free

Oct 1, 2013
    1. Given the ammo shortage what is the best common sense way to get some cheap and clean 9 mm for the range without spending $300 or more on a case?

2. I have very mild exophoria, my eyes diverge slightly. What is the best way to know which eye to fixate on the sights of a handgun at arm's reach? I started with the left (dominant) eye and my shots are all down and right so I switched to the right (non-dominant) eye and did a bit better but want to know how experienced shooters figure this out.

3. I asked the following question before and already know the probable answer but it isn't the answer I'm satisfied with. My 25 y/o petite (5 foot tall 105 pounds) daughter wants to do concealed carry. She doesn't own a business but is apprehensive out and about on her own because she recently had her cell phone stolen out of her hand by some "youts". Doesn't anyone in MD state government and in the MSP have compassion for women that want to defend themselves? I read the threads here and fully realize she has virtually no chance of getting a carry permit but I've got to advocate for my daughter. What about if she appealed to our local politicians in state government? None of these folks have a heart? BTW, I see huge numbers of women at the shooting range and in gun shops. Many are shopping for lady guns. In the State of Maryland, are ladies wanting to defend themselves using martial arts, pepper spray, concealed carry even without a permit, taking their chances, looking tough, carrying a switchblade knife or staying home?

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm not an expert, but for #1 I would say look at remanufactured ammo from freedommunitions.com or laxammo.com (or somewhere similar) or start reloading.

Regarding #3, tell her to move out of Maryland.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    1. Buy 10 or more cases at a time. Or use gunbot. Alternatively a wad of cash at gunshows talks more than a piece of plastic.

2. Try switching hands at the same time and/or using an eyepatch.

3. Knife training and alternatively learning how to operate in an NPE can be an option providing she understands and accepts big girl rules.

ETA is she single?
    Posted while drunk.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    You might want to try using both eyes. May sound crazy to some but I can shoot as well as just using my dominate eye. I'm sure some others will say the same.

I have monovision via laser eye surgery and that may have something to do with it. Both eyes are very good, but were "cut" to where I see 20/10 R and 20/15 L.

Much faster on target.

9mm is easy, Walmarts App is your friend, as is the Ammo Spotting Thread in the Water Cooler (once you get to 50 posts).

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    For target practice I buy 9mm once fired brass reloads by the ammo can from whomever has the best online deal.

Walmart is stocking better than in the past at a reasonable price.

As far as shooting - I just point and shoot practice with handguns - with both eyes open on target (both eyes open of course means dominate eye is on target) and am only trying to hit center mass. Ok I actually practice two to center mass and one to head.

You might consider taking a shooting lesson - one lesson can be very very helpful.

There is one handgun that I rest on a shooting stick and take aim - for long distance shooting practice - My deer hunting handgun (S&W 460M).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) As with most things, buy in quantity gets you a better price. If you don't want to buy a case, look online and locally for the best price and buy what you can. Quality reloads are fine. Or learn to reload. You can get the equipment for under $200, and save 10 cents to $1 (rifle) a round.

2) Whatever works best for you. Typically you use your dominate eye, but if you get better results from the non-dominate eye, use it.

3) Move to another state. She is unlikely to get a permit in MD.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    A lot of shooting instructors are teaching to shoot with both eyes open. This seems to be the better way to practice for a self defense scenario.

Your daughter, just like most of us, have a better chance of hitting the power ball jackpot than obtaining a carry permit in Maryland.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I understand her and your feelings but she needs to carry the cell phone concealed. Cell theft is not a reason to shoot a yute or anyone.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    #1-Georgia Arms (just Google/Bing) makes a nice reloaded ammo at a fair price. #2-As far as sighting, isosceles hold with two eyes open (yes it takes some practice but worth it). #3-If her apprehension is that great then she should remove herself from that environment. This is Maryland where it's OK for you to be a target just keep working and pay your taxes the Police will protect us all as a group but not each one of us. God forbid you take the law in to your own hands to protect your life. Nice Chris

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    1.) gunbot.com
    2.) pick a spot across the room. Hold up one finger to block its view. Close one eye at a time. Which ever eye has the blocked view is your dominant eye. Most likely your right.
    3.) good luck with that one. My wife was able to get a permit. But she's an office manager who makes bank drops.

P.S. Like some have said before me; I shoot better with both eyes open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom