• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Baltimore county no longer runs a list for more than a year. I believe the endless list was knocked down in the '70s.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Did they do a fire pop out or an EMS one?

I've debated going career, but the 6 month academy is a lot, since I already have FF1, FF2 and FO1.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

I've debated going career, but the 6 month academy is a lot, since I already have FF1, FF2 and FO1.

Some jurisdictions have an "accelerated" academy program that takes previous training into account. Anne Arundel has been doing this for the last several classes.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту

My only saving grace if I transitioned into public safety of any kind is the academy. I would be able to get housing money from the GI Bill, which would totally "cushion the fall." After the academy, yea, that would suck, pay wise.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Fairfax county did not advertise the pop-out my son was hired into. They pulled qualified candidates from their existing list and called them, sort of out of the blue. The class of 35 included quite a number of recruits that left other area FDs, attracted by the higher pay and other conditions in Fairfax. What I am trying to say poorly is to go ahead and apply wherever and whenever possible. You'll get experience with the process and can always say no thanks. BTW, the folks in the class at Fairfax who came on board with Paramedic certs got an immediate pay bump of $16K for that cert...

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Where are you guys getting this stuff about a 6 month academy? Baltimore County has never been more than 13 weeks for new recruits. Flamethrower mentioned that the "hiring process" can take around 6 months but that is just how long it takes to do testing, physicals, interviews and background investigations.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    One thing to keep in mind for those of you who are a bit older... To the best of my knowledge, the retirement structure is either

A)30 years of service and over the age of 50.
    B)10 years of service and over the age of 60.

Join at the age of 30 and most likely you won't be able to retire until you're 60 (I'm not sure if BCoFD lets you transfer in years from other places, I know Howard does depending on where you're coming from). Just something to keep in mind.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Unless it has changed since I left, normal retirement is 25yrs/age 55. You can retire before age 55 but are penalized 1/55th for each year early. Once you reach the minimum years of service you can leave but the age penalty for each year kicks in.. Certain other service counts towards years of service also, such as up to 4 years military and unused sick days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom