• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trew2Life

Aug 15, 2012
    Berkeley County, WV
    I have a chance to purchase either the S&W SD9VE or a Ruger SR9C. I want one of them ... just not sure which one. The S&W looks just like a Glock and I already have one of those, but the Ruger is $100.00 more. I'm just looking for another night shelf/home defense firearm to accompany my PT709. I'm leaning toward the Ruger ... but damn - it's $100 more !!

Any thoughts ?!?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    the S&W is a step down from the Glock. do you want to go up, down or remain the same?? Ruger's are a great gun....are you sure you want to get the compact, I'd get the full size if I were you.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I think you should take a good look at the triggers on both, and if possible shoot both before buying either one. When I was in the gun business, my boss always said "buy the very best you can afford, or you will not be happy"

Dec 31, 2012
    The SR9C has a nice trigger. It's easy to clean, shoots great, comes with a Ruger warranty, and is built Ruger rugged. Yeah I'm biased. I tried 9's of different makes and finally decided on the Ruger based on the value for the money considering many factors. Some members here carry the SR9C on a regular basis.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a SW9VE w/ trijicon sights I'd sell. The S&Ws are good pistols. Mine just doesn't see use since I have many others. Though I see you're in Hagerstown which would make it a bit of a haul to do the deal.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    My personal opinion is neither.
    Just my tastes. I don't like either one of those models.
    I own both S&W and Rugers.

At that price point...
    Look for a used M&P or a police turn in Glock.
    You will not be sorry.

Chris

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Since you're in Hagerstown have you been to 3R guns? Ron who runs it is a huge Ruger guy and almost always has better prices than any other gun shop I've ever been in. He's also a super nice guy.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Since you're in Hagerstown have you been to 3R guns? Ron who runs it is a huge Ruger guy and almost always has better prices than any other gun shop I've ever been in. He's also a super nice guy.
    thanks for giving him my advice.

+1 for 3r. he should have what you want at a great price.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Trew2Life

Aug 15, 2012
    Berkeley County, WV
    Thanks for all the opinions. My budget for this is $500.00. Unfortunately, $100.00 is off the top for HQL and fingerprints, so that only leaves room for about a $400.00 gun + taxes/fees. I'm going to check out the 3R Gun Shop. It's less than 8 minutes from me and never knew about it. If I can get the Ruger at/near $400 ... done deal.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks for all the opinions. My budget for this is $500.00. Unfortunately, $100.00 is off the top for HQL and fingerprints, so that only leaves room for about a $400.00 gun + taxes/fees. I'm going to check out the 3R Gun Shop. It's less than 8 minutes from me and never knew about it. If I can get the Ruger at/near $400 ... done deal.

As far as prices go, I havent been up to 3r for a few months but my Dad bought an SR9 from him last fall for 450 plus tax. You are also required to buy a 9mm bore lock if you don't have one so that adds about 15 bucks.

Dec 31, 2012

They are hopefully priced near this. $380 + transfer fee. Of course you lose the 17 round mag.
    http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...4/ruger-sr9c-compact-9mm-black-nitride-pistol

Don't quibble over a few dollars and support the local shop unless they're ridiculous priced.

Trew2Life

Aug 15, 2012
    Berkeley County, WV
    WTF is taking the CJIS & JIS checks so long? I cleared all the local and state checks 24 hours ago!? Da fedz ain't got nutin on me.

My anxious meter is hyped up. I got a promotion and nice raise today!! Hell ... I might just purchase both guns. Why make a choice?

Plus .. I'm really really thinking about crossing the boarder into WVA (since the promotion and the raise). Maybe ... in about a year. I'm sorry guys. I vote, but sometimes it looks like my vote doesn't matter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When they first came out , I was severely underwhelmed with the SR . The friend of a friend who owned it likewise sold and/ or traded it.

The SD has a *medimum* trigger , and should be on the short list at that price point ( for a new mfg , major brand gun) . It wasn't mentioned , but a that price point would also be a Cougar. The other question for yourself is do you want to standardize on 9mm on purpose , or expand your options ? Being famously non-enthusied over .40 , I could hear a .45 acp Cougar call me in that price point.

Of course being me , I would prefer to buy " pre- broken in " , and would have wide options.

And yes , we can go on about buy XYZ for a hundred or two more , but that's a slippery slope.

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    Regarding the SD9VE vs. The Ruger SR9, I can only say the following:

First, let me tell you my experience. I purchased a SD9VE at the same time my wife bought her Glock 19. The S&W is very similar to the Glock with one major difference, the trigger pull. I really like a striker gun to have a light take-up with a definitive "click" when the trigger is pulled. The Glock and my Springfield XDs had that feel I prefer. The SD9VE had a heavier, longer pull and the pull slightly built in force needed until the break point. My wife loves this because it is similar to the trigger on her Ruger LCP.

We added night sights to the SD9VE and it's now her home defense handgun (I need to find another one for myself).

I have only looked at and dry fired the SR9 at a gun shop. It's on my short list of pistols I would love to have, but it didn't stand out from the crowd enough for me to make a purchase.

In summary, the SD9VE is a terrific, inexpensive (budget conscious) gun. I hated the factory sights (the white dot actually fell out of the front sight at one point) but that gave me the excuse to purchase the Trijicon sights my wife really wanted on there. Other than the cheap sights and the heaver than expected trigger (which is just a preference thing) we both love our SD9VE. We've even talked about picking up a couple more to have as permanent bed table guns, etc.

For the price point, they can't be beat. In over 1000 rounds of various cheap ammo from LAX FMJ reloads to Hornady Critical Duty HP, the gun has handled every ammo we've put in it with no failures of any kind. I can't say that about my Springfield XDs or even the Glock 19.

The SR9 is ok, but why spend more for the minimal return.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the SD9VE. It's a lot of gun for the money.

I also agree with the comment about going with the full size SR9. If I'm not mistaken, the SR9C is more the size of an XDs than the SD9VE.

Sincerely,
    CrazyIvan

Feb 28, 2013

No reason why that Ruger wouldn't serve you well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom