• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sad. Truly sad.

We used to be a nation of riflemen. A nation that the Japanese correctly noted could produce a rifle "behind every blade of grass". We're increasingly a nation of candy asses.

I suppose that the skills that this nation's ranges foster that could allow citizens to defend our liberties in times of need would be met with a well placed "choose civility" sign in the minds of these idiots.

Sad. Really and Truly sad......

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Not exactly the same but we've got a new neighbor up in my neck of the woods who has called the police twice about people shooting. Newsflash, you live on a back road in rural Harford County, people shoot in their yards at times.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    This has been making the rounds on local news here. One important thing to note - this is a police range. The "last straw" was a bullet fragment that supposedly hit someone.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Where I live, people were complaining about trains blowing their whistles at railroad crossings. The crossings were there long before the people. The trains are no longer allowed to blow their whistles at the crossings.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    This is similar to the huge flight from blight, from the city to the country.

People move into a farming, hunting and shooting society and complain that the fertilizer smells bad and the guns are dangerous and they finally get their way.

A nation of pussies is in our future.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Where I live, people were complaining about trains blowing their whistles at railroad crossings. The crossings were there long before the people. The trains are no longer allowed to blow their whistles at the crossings.

Ummm, I call BS a little bit, as that is a major safety issue and is a Federal requirement when approaching an at grade crossing.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Ummm, I call BS a little bit, as that is a major safety issue and is a Federal requirement when approaching an at grade crossing.

No BS. Trains are not allowed to blow there whistles at any of the Henderson Avenue crossings in Cumberland, MD. Research it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    And this is why AGC and to an extent Berwyn, try to buy up the property around the range.

Dec 31, 2012
    Not exactly the same but we've got a new neighbor up in my neck of the woods who has called the police twice about people shooting. Newsflash, you live on a back road in rural Harford County, people shoot in their yards at times.

Probably one of the clowns I work with who thinks they live way out in the boonies because once in awhile they hear a gunshot from around their McMansion. I've heard stories about how they feel like they live in the wild west. :sad20:

You HarCo boys are scaring the nice folks from Baltimore. :D

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I live really close to a drag strip and it gets a little loud. I have gotten to a point that I really don't notice it that much.
    People think it is always quiet in the country until the frogs and the crickets start making noise. It can get pretty loud. I wonder who they call when the tunder storms start rolling in?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

This is actually true. There are neighborhoods were residents have sued and trains are not allowed to blow horns. Of course, this means the trains have to slow down to approach the crossings so it's less efficient.

It's happened a lot in Boston as Boston commuter rail grew and as freight rail makes a return to New England.

These are the same idiots who complain that there isn't enough public transit and there are too many trucks on the highway.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    No BS. Trains are not allowed to blow there whistles at any of the Henderson Avenue crossings in Cumberland, MD. Research it.

Nope. Here too. Signs say "no train horn ".

Aren't railroad crossing gates and signals activated by train horns?

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Then what did you mean when you said "one important thing to note - this is a police range"?

Much of the members/shooters and the owners are LEOs, so apparently they don't get any special consideration either.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    No, the gates and signals work without the horns. I don't know if all are like this or not. I assumed they use weight sensors down the line a little piece.

The simple explanation is metal train wheels complete an electrical circuit between the tracks activating the crossing gates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom